Posted: May 03, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Sorting by tag doesn't really work like you'd expect it to. Here is an example:

You have tasks A, B, C, and D. You also use tags 1 and 2. Here is your list:

A: Tags: 1
B: Tags: 2
C: Tags: 2
D: Tags: 1, 2

When sorting by tag, it shows the categories: "1", "2", and "1, 2". Task A goes under category "1", tasks B and C go under category "2", and task C goes under category "1, 2".

Shouldn't task C go under both category "1" and "2" rather than "1, 2"? I understand that it will look like a duplicate, but it makes more sense without categories for each combination of tags.
Anders

Posted: May 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
That should not be happening. Are you sure you are properly separating multiple tags. In your example D should go under both, and you definitely shouldn't have tag lists for combinations of tags. If you are only referring to sort by tag, then they are sorted by the first tag listed to avoid duplicates, so in your example D should sort with A because its first tag is 1.
Andrew

Posted: May 04, 2009
Posted by Anders:
That should not be happening. Are you sure you are properly separating multiple tags.

Yep...I'm using commas. Space or no space after the comma doesn't make a difference. Here's a screenshot:

This message was edited May 04, 2009.
Anders

Ah, I see. Yes, that's how it is for me as well. I thought for some reason you meant in tag view you were getting tabs for combinations. I actually didn't realize that there were additional dividers for each combination, but as you can see the multi-tagged items are still sorting next to those with the same first tag. I think it makes a certain amount of sense for it to work that way, but I don't use sort first by tag much at all.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
For technical reasons related to how we designed Toodledo in the beginning, a task can only appear on-screen once. This is why we can't list it under each tag grouping when sorting by tag. If you go into the tag view and click on the tabs across the top, then the task will appear in each appropriate section. We are looking into ways to improve this in the future.
dg

Posted: Sep 04, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
For technical reasons related to how we designed Toodledo in the beginning, a task can only appear on-screen once. This is why we can't list it under each tag grouping when sorting by tag. If you go into the tag view and click on the tabs across the top, then the task will appear in each appropriate section. We are looking into ways to improve this in the future.

Any update on this? I find the current method doesn't work as expected.

The tabs across the top are inconvenient and not suited for quickly moving between tags. More convenient is to go to the "All Tags" tab and sort on tabs...using the collapse/open divider function or clicking on individual tag headers to open that tag group.

If the "sort by tag" feature worked as expected, the "All Tags" tab would be very useful. As it is now, tags seem hard to use.
Valerie

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
I have to also vote for this improvement. I was very startled to see this behavior and have been searching the forum to see what is wrong. Seeing a "new" tag as the two tags separated by a comma is really annoying to me. If I'm looking at my @home context and I want to sort/group them by tag, I can't get the view I'm looking for if I use multiple tags.
Valerie

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
In fact, I'd rather the task appeared once under the first (presumably primary) tag and not under the second tag than have the behavior we have now. I feel like I can't use the multiple tags feature because of this behavior.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.