ForumsQuestionsTasks don't stay checked off when screen is refreshed

Tasks don't stay checked off when screen is refreshed
Joyce

Posted: Dec 09, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'm using Toodledo in conjuntion with Flylady household management and I have about a dozen tasks that repeat daily. I'm on firefox and I've allowed toodledo in Noscript and still, when I have need to refresh the screen the tasks don't stay checked off for the day. Why? Can I fix this? I want them to stay checked off until midnight or whatever. As it is, they seem to regenerate as soon as I check them off.

Help? What am I not doing right, did I miss a setting?

This also makes it difficult to use my Ipod touch to check off tasks, the two don't communicate if refreshing the screen to get the sync data results in all my done tasks getting unchecked!
Linden

Hi Joyce,

The best way to keep a task hidden until the day you want to see it next is to use the "start date" field. I do the same thing for my daily chores -- setting the start date and due date to the same day. Then when I have the filters set to "Hide future tasks", the chores that I've finished today don't appear on my list until the next day.

I know it's a bit of a hassle to have an extra column enabled, but the start date has definitely turned out to be valuable enough for me to justify it.

I hope it helps you, too!
Joyce

The only trouble with that is that I use start date to get the tasks into the right order and priority to divide them into different times of the day.

This is a huge disappointment to me and I really want to abandon the paper to do list. (I still have my "list" in a google calendar. I can enable it and get printed lists or I can print my toodledo list.

So far it's a real hazard in an otherwise powerful program.
Linden

Posted: Dec 10, 2009
That's fair. I can see why that would add some complexity.

I follow a GTD-type setup, so I don't tend to pre-plan the order of my tasks (even by morning/night) unless they have a firm deadline. So I haven't encountered the need to have tasks manually ordered outside of a project with ordered steps. (And I use the new manual ordering for subtasks to handle that part.)

Some people use letters or numbers at the start of a task to handle manual ordering. That could free up the start date column for you to hide future tasks.

I just noticed that you are using the basic account. If the ordered steps are only important for you for multi-step projects, you will likely find upgrading to a Pro account worth your while. It's just $15/year, and I know it made a huge difference for me.
puremetalcindy

Posted: Jan 04, 2010
I think the problem that Joyce is stating (correct me if I'm wrong, Joyce), is the same problem I am having on my new mobile phone browser and the reason I came to the forums looking for an answer.
I have nine children and ADHD to the Nth degree. If not for Toodledo I likely would have lost several of the kids in Mt St. Laundry by now. I have key elements of their repeating daily routine in my schedule. If I don't check off the tasks, they don't repeat the next day. Since moving from the LG Voyager to the EnV Touch last week I've discovered that when I check a box it unchecks itself when I move on to the next box. HIGHLY frustrating. Mama is on the move and don't have time to park at the computer every time one of the kids shows me his completed homework and daily agenda.
Just for kicks, of those nine children; three boys are approaching the world powered by ADHD with total make-over in mind, another boy is going to recreate the world from the inside out empowered by ADD/inattentive with the creative assistance of his brother who is also inspired by ADD/inattentive and is at the low end of the Autism Spectrum. Their sisters have no clue what to do with these multi-talented brothers and just stand back and watch in awe.
Have a great day!
Cindy
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.