ForumsQuestionssearching on subtask, then click project icon hides all subtask

searching on subtask, then click project icon hides all subtask
gideonkaplan

Posted: Mar 03, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
this may be related to , but existed b4 and still remains
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/5087/-2/subtasks-due-today-win-projectw-no-due-date-hidden.html#end

Filters in place
- hide -1 pri
- hide completed tasks

parent folder (project) named cat
subtask named dog
subtask named fish
quicksearch for dog

you will see the parent, cat
and the child, dog

click on parent icon
you would think it should expand to show all the subtasks, but it just hides the searched on one, in this case, dog
clicking a second time just expands to show dog again
there's only a turn off filters link all the way at the bottom, and that resets the whole page

Basically, I'd like to see all the subtasks in a project, but I only know one, by keyword
There's no way to view all the subtasks in a project if search by one of them
You have to either redo search by keyword of parent, or do a full view of all the records (what's the point of searching if you do that?)

This has been an issue for quite some time

When you search on the iphone app, it gives you a button to to the parent, and then a button to view all subtasks

It seems after you've found the parent, the search no longer applies, which is good

That is how the web ui should work, otherwise you have to do multiple searches, or full dataset eyeball scan, grrr..

winxp google chrome latests

G
Jake

Toodledo Founder
So, you are doing a quick search for a subtask and then want to remove the search and view the subtask, its sibling subtasks and the parent. The quickest way to do this would be to hover your mouse over the checkbox and click the "Permanent Link" link, which will remove the search and show that task.
gideonkaplan

i tried that, search dog, hover and click perm link, and it does not work, just shows the dog task by itself on a "new search" tab

clicking on the parent icon, show just the cat parent and none of the sibilings
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You need to click the "show all" link on the right side below the parent task.
gideonkaplan

I appreciate the responsiveness but too many clicks and mouse across the screen movement and it's counter intuitive
there should be a 1 click way to get a handle to the parent w/o the "search" filter
like how the iphone app works

also

starting from the beginning
- main screen
- click quicksearch
- type in dog (only dog comes up, not the parent, but this behaves differently if search is repeated...story for another time)
- hover over the parent icon, shows "This is a subtask, Click on icon to show parent"
- click on icon, now everything is hidden, no parent or siblings (this is definitely a bug)

Note, once it's hidden, there is no further do search button anywhere
- I can delete the last character of dog in the search box, which triggers a new search
Now I see the parent cat and the subtask dog (remember before I only saw dog, doing the exact same search)
- add the g back to dog and triggers a new search, now I see cat and dog
- click on icon again and it hides 1 of the 2 shown subtasks
- click on icon again and only shows dog, but fish is still a sibiling

- basically clicking on the icon should show all the siblings and discard the search filter , but leave all other filters (like -1pri, completed, etc)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Unless you clear the quicksearch, all tasks displayed on the page must match the quicksearch, regardless of if you open/close the parent task. I understand what behavior you want, but this isn't currently how it is designed. I'll put this on the to-do list to try to implement in the future.
gideonkaplan

Posted: Mar 04, 2010
Thanks, the issue is that I want to quickly drill down to all the sibling tasks, but I only know a keyword of as subtask
Right now there's no easy way to do that

Were you able to reproduce this issue using a simple cat/dog/fish task

"- click on icon, now everything is hidden, no parent or siblings (this is definitely a bug)"
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 05, 2010
Yes, that is a bug. We'll get it fixed.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.