ForumsQuestionsProject handling - display parent name in sub-task

Project handling - display parent name in sub-task
PeterW 

Posted: Jun 17, 2010
Score: 5 Reference
A lot has been discussed in the past about the handling of Projects in Toodledo. Many users utilize parent tasks with sub-tasks for this and some also use folders.

After trial and error and reading the Help file, I've come to the conclusion that keeping tasks "flattened" is the best way to operate because it ensures that sub-tasks will appear in the Hotlist if they meet the criteria. However, the one thing missing is that it isn't immediately clear which "project" (parent task) a sub-task belongs to.

I realize that it is currently possible to click on the sub-task icon to display the parent task, but I think a better way would be to provide an option to display the parent name with the subtask so that it is immediately apparent which tasks are project-related.

Some competing task management solutions handle it this way - the parent (project) name is displayed in a slightly smaller gray coloured font alongside the task name (or sometimes it is displayed in white text in a gray reverse block.

This would need to be displayed on the main line of the multi-line view, and for grid view could be a field the user could turn on/off and position wherever they like.

I realize that you probably have advanced plans for the UI upgrade and can't tell us a timeline etc etc, but can you advise if this is definitely something that is on the radar for improvement soon? Project handling enhancement is soreley needed.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 21, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
Hadamard

Posted: Dec 11, 2010
Anything new here?
M.Stevens

Posted: Dec 11, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
+1 on including parent name in sub-task
Hadamard

Posted: Jan 01, 2011
Sorry to ask again, but this is a topic which I'm really interested in. Could somebody give any feedback regarding this topic?
PeterW 

Posted: Jan 18, 2011
Score: 4 Reference
I've heard nothing about it since my original post the middle of last year.

Having this field displayed would make a big difference to those of us using subtasks.
Irklak

Posted: Jan 19, 2011
Plus one from me.
Hadamard

Posted: Jan 22, 2011
For what is worth, I'm preceding the subtask name with a short description of the parent task. What about you guys?
PeterW 

Posted: Jan 22, 2011
Yes, exactly what I am doing.
Antonio M

Posted: May 04, 2011
+1 It's a MUST for managing projects in a easier way.
Hadamard

Posted: May 14, 2011
Any news here?
MacPhyle

Posted: May 14, 2011
+1
ankgt

Posted: Jul 04, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
+1.

I stumbled upon this thread while trying to search the Toodledo forums for exactly this feature.

I add a prefix for the subtasks of my project right now, but its a pain to do that manually, especially when as per GTD guidelines (and rightly so!) almost everything is a project.

Toodledo please add this feature! It will make your service perfect!
stephan.germain

Posted: Oct 02, 2011
+1
martin

Posted: Oct 03, 2011
+1
jazzsyx_1315965374

Posted: Oct 03, 2011
+1
ricardobrandaop

Posted: Nov 17, 2011
+1
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Please stop +1ing topics. This is against the forum rules and needlessly wastes people's time. We have already said that this is on our to-do list, so there isn't any need to keep reminding us. We use some excellent software to keep track of our to-do list :) so we won't forget.
pjlewis

I think the root cause of a lot of repeated +1 comments and indeed revisits of previous suggestions may arise because of the lack of visibility and transparency of your development backlog. People love this tool and are very passionate about making it better. Sharing a bit more detail would really benefit your users and instil trust, at the minor risk of your competors knowing a bit more about your plans.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
I am sorry, but we are not going to share our roadmap other than to say that things are on the list. Its not about competitors. The main reason why we keep our roadmap secret is to give us the freedom/flexibility to work on what we want/need to work on without external expectations.

If we started giving estimated delivery dates for features, two things would happen. 1) People would get upset when we didn't make the delivery date. This puts undo pressure on us and I don't want to work under time pressure. 2) People would get upset if they disagreed with what we were spending our time on. I would rather not work this way.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.