ForumsTips & TricksMy TD Set Up - Gmail, Evernote, Moleskine notebook

My TD Set Up - Gmail, Evernote, Moleskine notebook
rsfx

Posted: Mar 17, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
Hi everyone,

Thought I would share my setup with you in case anyone had any useful suggestions.

General
I am trying a flavour of GTD, which is reflected in my set up.

Email
I am relying on TD for my main GTD inbox for all my 'Stuff' - this also applies to email. I have set up my work GMail address to forward all mails to my TD account as soon as they are received.

Within TD, I have set up a saved search called 'Inbox', which is all tasks without a context, status or folder. I check this 2-3 times each day, processing all my tasks directly from the email content inside TD. If I need to reply to an email (for a task that will take <2mins), I will load up GMail inside the browser and do a quick text-based search for the sender and respond there and then. Otherwise, I will brainstorm any next actions and organise them accordingly.

Evernote
Evernote is another GTD inbox for 'Stuff' - not quite as important as TD, but great for capturing photos of whiteboard sessions, posters, voicememos, meeting minutes etc. It also is used as my Reference system, due to its brilliant indexed search and OCR functionality (even with my terrible handwriting). If I find an email in my TD inbox that needs to be saved for reference, I locate the email and send it to Evernote for filing. It would be great - no, brilliant - if I could synch my Evernote notebook stacks with TD and add items marked 'Reference' to these stacks automatically!

Moleskine notebook
Sometimes it's only appropriate to use a pen and paper. My trusty Moleskine performs very well in this role. Fitting nicely into the pocket of my jacket, I can whip it out and take notes at any time. I enter any tasks or notes into TD or Evernote during my weekly review or sooner.

Android GTD TD App (DGTALE)
This is an excellent free Android app that integrates very well with TD. This is used for when I am out and about. I use the voice entry functionality for dictating quick tasks.

My typical daily workflow is this:
1. Check TD inbox saved search and process, delete, file all new bits of stuff.</li>
2. Check any date sensitive next action tasks using TD calendar (Overdue, Today etc)</li>
3. Go to status view and select Next Actions</li>
4. Do work!

Does anyone use anything similar? The philosophy for me is to reduce my inboxes for Stuff and put TD at the heart of everything. I am considering swapping the roles of TD and Evernote and having my mail forwarded to Evernote first and then any actions.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012.
rsfx

Posted: Mar 21, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
I've made the switch and am now forwarding all my emails to Evernote for analysis and storage (the excellent indexed search is a winner). After triage, I am capturing tasks in TD and managing these as normal.
Andreas Häberle

Posted: Apr 17, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
hi, sounds like a good and effective implementation. As I am looking for one, I will try it out. andreas
michael

Posted: Apr 26, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
Thanks for the post! I'm really trying to get a good system down. Have been using toodledo and evernote for months but don't feel like I'm very effective.

I really like this idea of using TD to sort your emails. How do you go about doing that? I have have s fee different businesses and several different email accounts. Can this still be done?

Any other advice for someone who is just getting started.

Thanks!
rsfx

Posted: May 14, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Hi everyone,

I have actually swapped the roles of TD and Evernote. This is because of the flexibility of what Evernote can handle: images, audio recordings, photos, emails, to-do lists, and the fact that it seamlessly integrates with my mobile phone.

I have all my emails sent from both my personal and work email addresses to Evernote, where it is triaged along with meeting minutes, whiteboard pictures, voice memos and turned into actions.

Because Evernote has no time-sensitive task management features, I use TD to record any tasks that have a due date/time. I then have TD send me emails when the task is due, so that I get them into my main 'stuff' folder.

Within Evernote, I have a series of saved searches what reflect the task priority and context (work/home/calls), that allows me to flip between them effortlessly.

If Evernote release a decent task management feature set, I can't see myself sticking around with TD. If TD integrated with Evernote, then, well...
tomeran

Posted: Aug 23, 2012
Score: -13 Reference
I think everyone's hopes will soon be addressed with IQtell!
Sit down, and let you jaws drop (beta still) - IQtell.com
JerryN

Posted: Aug 27, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi all,

Wow, I use the same system ... right down to the Moleskine! Coincidence?!

I email project related tasks into TD. However, I support the project tasks by linking them to the underlying documentation that I keep in Evernote. I use the "copy note link" feature of Evernote to get the link, and then I copy the link into the notes section of the Task in TD. When I am on my mobile device, I can click on the link in the "note" of a TD task, and it will launch the Evernote document in context. It's slick. Note: I can only copy links when I am on a MAC or PC, and not the mobile device.

As an aside, I have the PRO version of both Evernote and TD. I just mention this because it may be required for the linking. I haven't tested it on different versions.
ivyclark

Posted: Sep 05, 2012
The same system works for me - combination of EN, TD, email. I also use my calendar to manage my time (e.g. schedule appointments, block time for tasks, etc).

And yes, moleskin too. Birds of the same feathers do flock together!
Brianrush50

Posted: Jan 01, 2013
Score: -6 Reference
Posted by tomeran:
I think everyone's hopes will soon be addressed with IQtell!
Sit down, and let you jaws drop (beta still) - IQtell.com

Checkmout LifeTopix as well for a great all-inclusive app integrating Toodledo, gcal, evernote etc.
rdesai

Posted: Mar 30, 2013
I have tried to forward emails from Evernote to TD (using the TD email address) - but it doesn't seem to work. it would prevent from having to toggle between Evernote and Toodle that frequently; especially while in meetings and would give you an opportunity to follow up on the action items as part of the process of clearing the inbox in TD.

Any suggestions ??

It would be great if that is possible - even better would be if there was a way that a "To do" in Evernote automatically creates a task in TD - similar to how Tasks are created from MS one note to Outlook.

I know this is probably too much to ask for - but it would make the two best systems integrated.
Salgud

Posted: Apr 01, 2013
Best for whom?
troy.christmas

Posted: Apr 28, 2013
We are close to launching a solution that we hope will provide better integration of Evernote and Task Services like Toodledo. If you'd like to be notified when our beta is released, please complete our simple Google Form
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16nPFDkbdLfK-zK3fOMmET7ryFv4eJy5otL35iSUQ43M/viewform
kerrinhardy

Posted: Sep 12, 2013
Posted by rdesai:
even better would be if there was a way that a "To do" in Evernote automatically creates a task in TD - similar to how Tasks are created from MS one note to Outlook.

I know this is probably too much to ask for - but it would make the two best systems integrated.

This is EXACTLY what I am after. It's probably teh only thing that has impressed me about OneNote that I wish I could do with Evernote and Toodledo.
ben

Posted: Sep 19, 2013
Posted by kerrinhardy:
Posted by rdesai:
even better would be if there was a way that a "To do" in Evernote automatically creates a task in TD - similar to how Tasks are created from MS one note to Outlook.

This is EXACTLY what I am after. It's probably teh only thing that has impressed me about OneNote that I wish I could do with Evernote and Toodledo.

Check out taskclone.com for this feature. 3rd party app that will sync tasks from Evernote (items that start with a check box) to Toodledo.

I'm still experimenting with this...

-Ben
troy.christmas

Posted: Oct 10, 2013
The post of 4/28 was for testers for what would become TaskClone. I am a long time Toodledo user and built TaskClone to solve the problem so many Evernote users have.

Check it out and if you have any questions or feedback, please let us know at support.taskclone.com.

This video should explain how it works for folks - http://youtu.be/5AqgVbfk6Ig
tracey.douglass

Posted: Oct 22, 2013
After the latest updates if you set a reminder in evernote it will create a task in a linked remember the milk account. How great would it be if this worked with toodledo!
DSM_2

Posted: Oct 27, 2013
Anyone looked at ActiveInbox for managing your email directly in GMail? Basically, it makes use of the tagging system already in GMail for doing task management.
mhmcgrath

Posted: Nov 06, 2013
Here's the system I've put together to implement GTD using Evernote, Toodledo, Gmail and several add-ons that provide for automated functionality.

It all starts with Gmail. This is where most things “start” in my business and personal life. In comes an email and something has to be done (task) or scheduled (event). First thing is to get it into Evernote. Once there I need to “convert” that Evernote “note” into a Toodledo “task” or create an “event” in Google Calendar.

To get the email into Evernote I use a Google script from HarryOnline.net called “gm2en” This script has some configuration choices. I keep it simple. Any email with the “label” “Evernote” will get processed (this label is configurable in gm2en). Generally, when I check my inbox I either (1) delete the email; (2) archive it; (3) answer and process in some way; or (4) label it “Evernote” if I want to process it to Evernote. Gm2en script periodically (15 minutes or some value which the user configures) sweeps through my Gmail account and creates a “note” in my Evernote account. (variation: some strict constructionists of GTD may want to also create a filter in their Gmail accounts that labels ALL INCOMING emails with “Evernote” label. In my case that puts way too many things into Evernote and really, I think, causes extra work). In addition gm2en puts a user-selected “tag” onto the Evernote “note” which was created. In my case the “note” is now in my “Actions Pending” notebook with the tag “Gmail.” Now that the email of interest is in Evernote we can process it further.

Back in Evernote all my emails of interest are now in my default notebook and tagged with “Gmail.” I take a look at all the notes tagged with “Gmail.” Some go into my notebook for saving info and ideas - “Cabinet” and otherwise tagged as needed, then I delete the “Gmail” tag. Now, a service called TaskClone takes over. If the “note” requires action then I edit the “note” and insert a checkbox at the beginning of any text defining something to be done. Alternatively, I can type in some text defining the action to be taken with a checkbox in front of that string of text. Then I can add any tags that are needed, and then add a final tag, “Toodledo” from my tag list. What you use as this “trigger” tag is up to the user – I chose “Toodledo.” Then TaskClone periodically sweeps my Evernote account, looks for the “tag” “Toodledo” , and creates tasks in Toodledo wherever it finds a checkbox. Sweet! A nice plus is that I can add any of the “email to Toodledo operators” such as “*”, “^”, !!! etc. and thereby automatically add other information to the “task” in Toodledo as it's created, such as Priority, Start Time, etc. When finished TaskClone adds a marker to the “note” indicating it has been synced to Toodledo, thereby avoiding repetitive logging.

Finally, if the “note” created in Evernote from the email requires a calendar entry (event in Google Calendar), then TaskClone handles that, too. To create an “event” I add a checkbox at the beginning of the event text (or type it in) with “Schedule:” directly after the checkbox. The “event” text can be followed with plain English time text like “tomorrow” or “tomorrow at 2 PM” or articulated dates like “10/1/2013 2:32 AM”

Evernote Premium, Toodledo subscription and TaskClone all cost money. Some users object to the cost. For me, once they are all put into a fast and reliable system for handling all my data, information, task and appointment needs that is both digital and mobile, then the cost is well worth it. If I can add one billable hour per year with this system, I've more than paid for it!

I also use Powerbot for Gmail on my iMac and PCs. It is a very powerful approach to putting emails (or parts) into EN. It doesn't work on mobile platforms, thus the approach above.

Cheers, Mike
mhmcgrath

Posted: Jan 01, 2014
Some recent enhancements:
Using Gmail filters plus gm2en (from Harryonline) I now have a quite sophisticated automation for forwarding Gmail to EN. The filters identifying incoming topics, e.g. agriculture, fire concurrently in Gmail so I can then flag them, first by EN notebook to be directed to, then with as many tags as needed with additional filters with the same triggers. The tags must coordinate to "labels" in Gmail. The filters bypass the Inbox, labels are added and then messages archived in Gmail. Every 15 minutes or so my gm2en script fires and sweeps the Gmail labels for new messages and off they go! Very clean and neat - and all the incoming emails of critical importance are added to EN with proper notebook category and all needed tags.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.