ForumsTips & TricksThunderbird/Lightning

Thunderbird/Lightning
varmansamuel

Posted: Apr 25, 2008
Score: 2 Reference
Has anyone fooled around with using Toodledo w/ Thunderbird/Lightning. I recently gave up on Outlook and have switched over to Thunderbird (in part made possible b/c of my use of Toodeldo and Google Calendar). It would be great if I could access the Toodldo Widget that is present on the iGoogle page within Thunderbird. It should be possible I assume (e.g. by using Thunderbrowse or something like that). Anyway... just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.
varmansamuel

Posted: Apr 27, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
In the latest version of Lightning (0.8), there is a sidebar which displays tasks and upcoming events. Subscribing to the iCal link for Toodledo allows the tasks to be displayed and even sorted by Folder (Category in Lightining). Functional, i suppose... it keeps my eye on my task list, but still quite rudimentary. Would be great to have a dedicated thunderbird or lightning extension to use Toodledo.
Rand Waldron

Posted: May 09, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I second the motion. Outlook couldn't handle the size of my multiple IMAP accounts, so I switched to Thunderbird. A Toodledo extension for Thunderbird would be excellent.
kleerkoat

Posted: May 21, 2008
i would really really like to see this happen
vegheadjones

Posted: May 21, 2008
Me too-- my company insists on Thunderbird.

I would love a "Add to Toodledo" button on Thunderbird similar to how Evernote does it. I would imagine we could set default folder context etc, and the subject would be the task with the body as its notes. Currently I forward to Toodledo via e-mail which is ok, but this would be so much easier.
marsh

Posted: Oct 24, 2008
Toodledo has a subject-line syntax for adding tasks via email. It should be relatively easy for someone who knows how to build T-Bird extensions to create an interface for constructing the subject line. Unfortunately, if you're not familiar with T-Bird extensions, you have to do a goat sacrifice, as one wag on the web put it.
marsh

Posted: Oct 24, 2008
Score: -1 Reference
One other thing. I do not think it's a good idea to rely on T-Bird for general To-Do stuff. I am very impressed with Merlin Mann's Inbox Zero philosophy. He urges us to check email only a few times per day, and I think the easiest way to do so is to turn off the email client. Most uses of a To-Do application should have nothing to do with email. Still, many emails have To-Do implications, so we need a way to integrate email with a To-Do application. Jarheaddoug has a very nice AIR app that runs the slim version of Toodledo on the desktop. With Toodledo's subject-line syntax, a mail client can add to the task list while the desktop task is running. The only problem with the Air app is it is really a dedicated Toodledo browser. We need something that can run offline and sync with Toodledo when it comes online, and it would be nice to have Thunderbird interface with the sync file when the system is offline.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2008.
carrasco

Posted: Jun 20, 2009
I'm new with thunderbird and the only thing I miss from outlook is the task synchronization with thunderbird/lightning.

Are there any new approaches to this? I would be fantastic!

Regards.
Anders

Posted: Jun 22, 2009
Posted by carrasco:
Are there any new approaches to this? I would be fantastic!

Nope, not yet. I use Thunderbrowse to have the Toodledo Slim site open in Thunderbird, and you can import the iCal file of your tasks into Lightning or sync to Lightning through Google Calendar. As far as I know, those are the only options right now.

~Anders
jpropper

Posted: Jun 23, 2009
Again new here, not sure if this comment is rehash but... What about simply a better Calender function in Toodledo? Something more Calender-like?
Tyler

Posted: Jun 24, 2009
Posted by jpropper:
Again new here, not sure if this comment is rehash but... What about simply a better Calender function in Toodledo? Something more Calender-like?

Personally, I would rather that the priority was on various aspects of the task manager itself.

There are a lot of calendar programs out there, but few really good task programs.

A nice option, though, might be to import your actual Google calendar instead of using TD's calendar.

(I use a calendar for appointments, certain reminders, and other "hard landscape" time functions; the task manager is for To-Dos that are not as nailed down in time...)
Anders

Posted: Jun 24, 2009
I also think that enhancement of Toodledo's calendar would be great, but is not essential. I also would love to see some sort of two way connection with Google Calendar. However, I think all of this misses the point of why a Thunderbird/Lightning sync would be great, and that is offline access to tasks from the desktop. Note that Lightning does not just add a calendar to Thunderbird, but also a task manager. Currently the only way to get desktop offline access to your tasks from Toodledo is to use the Chromatic Dragon sync tool, and of course that only works if you use Outlook. Outlook is very popular, but the advantage of a Thunderbird sync would be that virtually everyone could have offline access since Thunderbird is free, and works on both PCs and Macs.
Tyler

Posted: Jun 25, 2009
Posted by Anders:
I also would love to see some sort of two way connection with Google Calendar. However, I think all of this misses the point of why a Thunderbird/Lightning sync would be great, and that is offline access to tasks from the desktop. Note that Lightning does not just add a calendar to Thunderbird, but also a task manager. Currently the only way to get desktop offline access to your tasks from Toodledo is to use the Chromatic Dragon sync tool, and of course that only works if you use Outlook.

Oh, I totally agree with you about this -- I'm also a Thunderbird user.

And I think virtually every TD user on these forums would love to be able to work offline.

But regarding Thunderbird Lightning... I think it's still very primitive, frankly (esp. compared to Outlook, which I used to use just for the calendar and task functions).

The Tbird Calendar is not bad, although the interface for adding new appointments, categorizing, and many other features is somewhat inconvenient. It has two really good features -- that you can add multiple calendars, and that you can sync with Google calendar.

But the Tbird task system is, in my view, pretty dreadful. I wish it was better, because I would like to have an integrated email and task system, so I'm hoping it will improve over time (but as any Thunderbird user knows, development is slow and there are far less plugin developers).

In any case, I would like to see TD able to sync with Lightning tasks, but not sure it's robust enough to pull off well... any thoughts on this, Lightning users?

LATER EDIT: On afterthought, reading through this thread more carefully, I think I misread the intention of most people -- not to SYNC with Tbird's task system, but rather have an integrated ToodleDo (as in FireFox) in PLACE of the Tbird task system. That sounds great to me...

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009.
Tyler

In re: my above post -- actually I think this would work quite well for me as Tbird user -- the ability to turn an email directly into a ToodleDo task...

Posted by vegheadjones:

I would love a "Add to Toodledo" button on Thunderbird similar to how Evernote does it. I would imagine we could set default folder context etc, and the subject would be the task with the body as its notes.
lite1

Note this post does not offer any specific or even general solutions to the calendar issues.
Given the TD strong user commitment to and support of TD as shown with the increased financial commitment to TD bec of the way in which TD responded to the recent power outage and downtime, I'd love to see the TD user community "choose" one of the strategies out there and get behind it. Unfortunately this whole area of task management, email, calendar, and stand alone is so much more complex than the old "wars" of whether VHS or Beta would win out. There was a thread here (I think on Off topic chit chat) asking what other software than TD do people use daily. While there is a lot of overlap there is significant divergence as one might expect.

Personally I love both the philosophy of Mozilla and its products/add ons, and am dedicated to Firefox and Thunderbird and make annual contributions. I understand that Sunbird (and I would expect by implication Lightning)has suffered slow development due to poor donation support. I think that is unfortunate. In addition there are several significant contributors to the quasi GTD and productivity approaches that strongly recommend that turning off your email client and checking it at most 2-4 times/day is preferable.

If I knew how much TD devel time it would take to improve the TD internal calendar and what would come of that investment of time versus that same amount of time and whether it would get us for example manual re-ordering of subtasks (or task dependencies), or one more level of hierarchy, or get us an offline app - then I could more intelligently "vote" on where I'd prefer to see TD put its time. While I'd like the internal TD calendar to be improved, I'd make lots of other task management features a much higher priority than that one.
Edward
sbdunn

Posted: Aug 14, 2009
I know it's not the same thing as having the tasks in Thunderbird for offline use, but I have been using ThunderBrowse add-in for Thunderbird 3b4 (Shredder)...then set the Thunderbrowse home page to your Toodledo home page. It is a decent stop gap until someone smarter than me can create an add-on for Toodledo.
sbogner

Posted: Aug 26, 2009
Just started using TD, been using Thunderbird/Lightning for a year or so. What I'd like to see is a Thunderbird add-on that lets me drag & drop emails into TD; maybe each node in the TD add-on could be a different folder, status, context, etc. Just drag the email over the right node in the add-on, and it gets transferred to TD.

Right now I'm forwarding emails to my TD email ID, then I classify & categorize them there in the web front-end. That's not too bad, but would rather be able to transfer items without having to email them.

I wonder how hard it would be to make the TD data look like an IMAP store...
ihaveacoolhat

Posted: Dec 11, 2009
EDIT: I gave it a whole topic, instead. Apologies for necro'ing this thread and clogging the forums.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/4185/0/working-thunderbird-integration.html

This message was edited Dec 11, 2009.
silbernagel

Posted: Mar 31, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Might be a sufficent solution for some of you:

There is a way of a (poor) Toodledo integration into Thunderbird/ Lightning. Its not an ideal solution, but it works for me. I can access and edit my ToDos in Lightning, the 2-way-sync (Lightning <-> Toodledo <-> iPhone) works pretty well and the whole thing is for free.

Step 1: Toodledo
1. Log into your Toodledo-account
2. "Enable live iCal link" (Tools & Services -> iCal -> iCal Subscription)
3. You get your personal link for "To-dos only": webcal://www.toodledo.com/id/<yourid>/ical_live_todos.ics

Step 2: Thunderbird/ Lightning
(There is no additional AddOn neccessary)
1. Create a new calendar
2. -> Network
3. Format: iCalendar (ICS)
4. Adress: copy&paste the link given at Toodledo

Done.

Its not the ideal solution, but it works for me as long as there's no professional Toodledo-Lightning-Integration (AddOn).
Marcus

Posted: Apr 15, 2010
Thanks so much silbernagel - that's exactly what I was looking for, and so easy and hack free. Super :)

I think this information should be somewhere prominent on the Toodledo website.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.