ForumsTips & TricksQuick and Dirty Screencast

Quick and Dirty Screencast
Vin Thomas

Posted: May 08, 2009
Score: 5 Reference
I put together a 5 minute screencast to quickly outline my TD system. If you want to view it, go here: http://tr.im/kSiH

The free screencast software I used (jing) limited me to 5 mins, so sorry if it's rushed.

Feel free to ask questions via the forum or email me [email protected] or by twitter (@vinthomas)

Hope it helps.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Our first fan video. Sweet!

Interesting way to use stars. We hadn't thought of that.
Anders

Vin, awesome job. I thought the idea of using stars for parent tasks sounded good when you posted about it, but seeing it in action has convinced me it is probably the best way to go for using subtasks on the website. I just wish I could figure out a way it would also work on the iPhone, which it currently wouldn't. Not only is there no sort by star yet, but nested subtasks are not so easy to get to. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Do you stick pretty much to the folder view, or when you are actually getting things done, do you use others like context, etc.? It seems from the video that your contexts are almost redundant. If I understood correctly, the folder you were showing was your work folder, but you also used work as a context for pretty much every task. Is there a reason for that, or do you have more diverse contexts in other folders?

As soon as I settle on a somewhat fixed system, I'll see about making one of these too. I hope others will consider it as well. It is much easier, not only to understand what you are doing, but to see the benefits of the methods with a little video like that. Thanks again.

-Anders
melchizW

Posted: May 09, 2009
yes the iphone version is lagging behind in a few features , I'd love to use that system on the iphone also .

Iphone needs sort by star and start times field .
Vin Thomas

Thanks for the love guys. I am glad it was useful.

@Anders: Yeah, I pretty much stick to the folder view unless I am at the store, at home, or using the phone. Then I use "@store", "@home", or "@phone" to sort what needs to be done. Other than that, most of what I accomplish can be done using the folder view. It is a little redundant, but it helps sometimes.

When I first started GTD, I used contexts a lot, but I found folders just worked better for me. And it's all about tweaking a system until it works FOR YOU!

The star method of floating tasks to the top is wonderful! It saves me a lot of headache. Maybe sometime in the future there will be an option to sort by parent tasks so I could use the star for something else...but until then I am happy to use the stars.

I might try to put together a series of screencasts in the future to outline my system a bit better. Like I said, I was a little rushed with the 5min time limit with my software.
Anders

Posted by melchiz1:
yes the iphone version is lagging behind in a few features , I'd love to use that system on the iphone also.
Iphone needs sort by star and start times field.

I'm sure they will add start times. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the upcoming update. Sort by star has been available on the site a little longer, but not much. Toodledo will probably add that too. My biggest problem is the way you have to go through a parent task and scroll down to get to the subtasks if they are nested, and I can't use them flattened because I don't know half the time which parent they belong to.
Herbert

Posted: May 21, 2009
Great job vin !
I realy like it BECAUSE it's just 5 minutes !
Best regards
Herbert
thpope

Posted: May 23, 2009
That's very cool Vin. Thanks.
melchizW

Posted by Anders:
My biggest problem is the way you have to go through a parent task and scroll down to get to the subtasks if they are nested, and I can't use them flattened because I don't know half the time which parent they belong to.

Agreed for sure ! The stars help identify them but they're still sort of hard to get to .
I think for someone using tasks and subtasks in a traditional sense it's not that big a deal , but for the GTD users [I am one ] it's a major hassle .
Dave

Great use of the stars, it does highlight the parents, and (usually for me anyway) things that are parented are more complicated and need that little more attention anyway

In talking to a friend, he just mentioned another good use for the stars, using it as a "select" tool. Selecting multiple items and then searching on the star to do multiple edits.
Tyler

Posted: May 30, 2009
My first post here... Pro subscriber, and still trying to set up my approach to TD.

Anyway, I've been working through a lot of posts in the forums here, and just wanted to say to Vin -- this was a great presentation and very helpful!

Would love to see more stuff like this, and I think ToodleDo should consider using it on their tour of the application...

So thanks for taking the time to make it...
David Johns

Posted: Jul 18, 2009
How did you set your tab order
Here is a screencast regarding problem
http://screencast.com/t/Tmtw1EC5BGW
Vin Thomas

Posted: Jul 19, 2009
Posted by David Johns:

This is a setting on the Mac. If you're on Windows I'm sure there's a setting for this too.

On Mac:
System Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts

At the bottom of the field there is a preference to go from "text boxes and lists only" or "all controls". Set it to "all controls".
nathan.nontell

Posted: Jul 20, 2009
Posted by David Johns:

I am using Firefox on Windows. I was able to achieve the desired behavior by going into about:config and changing accessibility.tabfocus to a 3.

A full explanation is available at http://www.ghacks.net/2009/04/13/quick-jump-to-text-fields-in-firefox/
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.