Unread posts

Announcement

Forums > Tips & Tricks

ALL CAPS

AuthorMessage
jpropper

Posted: Jun 23, 2009
Score: 0

Don't know if this is old but I have taken to placing my specific action first in the description and using all caps...

EMAIL Joe about meeting
CALL Tom about ...
MEET Mary about...

then when I scan the list it jumps out at me.
lite1

Posted: Jun 23, 2009

I do that for subtasks as you write. For my parent tasks
+PARENT TASK EXAMPLE
I start them with a + sign so if I see them without their subtasks I know immediately that there is "more"; visually I do not find the TD icon for Parent and for Subtask to be a great visual clue as the two icons have about the same gray scale value.
I put the parent in CAPS so that it stands out in display.
Edward
Proximo

Posted: Jun 25, 2009

Good suggestions.

I make all my Parent task a -negative priority so they all show in the bottom of my main action list. I also use a context called Project, but it's really not needed since I also use a TAG for all task related to a project and the parent task has the same TAG.

ie. My database project uses "Database" tag for parent task and sub task.

I think I currently have several ways to filter what is a parent task of a project and I am in the process of making it more simple. In fact, based on lite1's response to a question I had with context, I may stop using them all together.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009.
jpropper

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Score: 1

A few weeks later, here's where I'm at...

I constantly get the inbox to zero. I haven't come to the point where I can accumulate, focus on tasks alone, and go back to inbox. BUT, I am much more comfortable now than I was in terms of knowing that I capture everything and am better at getting the tasks done even though I don't work it perfectly. I continue to establish a set of conventions for my tasks and use all caps with these first words...

GET = Find when on the road
FIND = Locate at desk or phone, generally listings and locations
EMAIL = Send via email from desk
CREATE = Create what is needed, generally from desk (vs. Get on road)
CALL = Phone call
BUY = Buy needed item from desk or on the road
PRIORITY = Priority meeting
WAIT = Wait for next action from other party
TOUR = Property tour of any kind
ADD = Add some item to identified place within Task
MAIL = Snail mail
READ = read
GTD = GTD related item
LEARN = learn something identified within Task
SALES MTG = Need
SCAN = Scan

They are easily searchable for me. I am also getting used to placing clients within different projects as necessary. With Clear Context, I was much more difficult and I was pre-programmed to avoid that. I still use clear context to file emails, and click to followup emails as a backup to Toodledo (it's very easy).

If anybody has comments/feedback/suggestions to improve my organization and task conventions above please share. I am feeling good about the changes to my systems and look forward to the day I stop spending too much time working on the systems. I also use Joe's Goal's as a list of recurring tasks (i.e., checking Toodledo!)

Thanks in advance for feedback and expert advice.

Jon P.
You cannot reply yet

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.

Toodledo Forums > Tips & Tricks