Unread posts

Announcement

Forums > Tips & Tricks

Start Tasks with a verb

AuthorMessage
Vin Thomas

Posted: Jun 25, 2009
Score: 2

I have struggled in the past to make my tasks concrete. Often a task will be called something that doesn't really define the action I need to take.

Example: Proposal for City Hall

This says nothing about the action I need to take. So I have started to start all of my tasks with a verb.

Example: WRITE Proposal for City Hall, DELIVER Proposal for City Hall, BURN Proposal for City Hall, etc

Try it. It helps me a lot in really getting things done.
Big KC

Score: 0

I do the same thing. Projects can be nouns...the desired outcome of the project. But I always try to start my tasks with a verb. I think it works great in forcing me to make a decision on the next concrete action I can take.
lite1

Score: 1

One of the many things I value from David Allen is that the verb/action must be visible. If I am in doubt whether I have it right I ask myself "Would an someone else looking at me know that that I am doing something?"

Make decision on trip to Texas does not work.
Write out pros/cons re: trip to Texas is better

Plan next meeting presentation does not work
Call Jerry re: determine roles each will take during next presentation is better

I guess the other thing that I have been trying to do along these lines is to make a note to myself of what the deliverable is even if I am delivering just to myself; OR how will I know that the task/subtask is completed. Picturing the desired outcome paves the way for it happening easily and clearly.

So deliverables might be:
paragraphs written in word that list pros/cons for a particular decision.
Hand written notes of phone call (or face-to-face) with Jerry as to who is doing what, in what order, and for what length of time at the next meeting/presentation.
Proximo

Posted: Jun 26, 2009
Score: 0

Very good tips. I have to admit that I have not been doing this and will start today.

Thanks for making me less productive and tweaking my GTD system once more.

lol. Just kidding.
You cannot reply yet

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.

Toodledo Forums > Tips & Tricks