ForumsTips & TricksHow to simply search for stars...?

How to simply search for stars...?
DSull

Posted: May 11, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I have tried many ways to search for starred, unchecked tasks. I'm using folders to designate project/task and stars to designate next actions for my GTD setup, but subtasks are not showing up in my 'starred' custom search.

I have:
completed: unchecked
Starred: yes

I've tried others - simple fix?
magictorch

Posted: May 15, 2010
Starred subtasks with unstarred parent tasks will only show up if you select the Flattened view option.
mat_rhein

Posted: May 29, 2010
Haha! NO solution- there is no logic connection between a certain way of viewing your tasks in an overview kind and searching for a task... this SHOULD NOT be display- dependent...
Beat Schenker

Posted: Jul 26, 2010
Wow - this is really true!! If you change the view to Flattned then the starred subtasks appear. This should not be that way!
PeterW 

Posted: Jul 26, 2010
Posted by Beat Schenker:
Wow - this is really true!! If you change the view to Flattned then the starred subtasks appear. This should not be that way!

This is working as designed. The following page is worth reading to get a better understanding of how subtasks work:
http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

I use parent tasks with subtasks to handle projects. In my Hotlist (which for me is a saved search), I ensure that subtasks are set to 'flattened' so that I see any subtasks that meet my criteria (which are due-date of today or tomorrow, or priority of high/top, or star). If I want to see the parent task or other subtaks, a single click does that. In my Folder view for Projects, I set subtasks to nested.

There have been complaints in the past about project handling using parent tasks and subtasks in Toodledo not being up to scratch. However I've found that it can work really well if you understand how it was designed to work. The only addition I would like is to see the parent task's name alongside the subtask's name (in smaller font) just give context at a glance rather than have to click.
Beat Schenker

Posted: Jul 28, 2010
I guess you are refering to the following part of the document:

"It is important to understand the nesting behavior. When subtasks are nested, they will be hidden inside their parent task and will only be visible when you reveal them. This could cause you to forget about an important subtask.

For example, if you have nesting turned on, a subtask that is due today will not appear in the "Due Today" section unless the parent task is also due today. It is safer to view subtasks flattened out because they won't be hidden and potentially forgotten."

I don't understand why it should behave like this. Especially because even Toodledo obviously warns about this behaviour.

And I still don't understand why a view (!) should define if a search (!) shows a different result. If this would be a general setting I still would not like it - but at least I would understand that this setting has implications for a search result. But chaning a view definitly should not.
PeterW 

It's just the way it has been designed. I understand it like this: subtasks have two possible states - they either stand alone (flattened) or they belong to their parent (hidden/nested).

If you select 'flattened' then subtasks are treated just like all other tasks and are visible in their own right subject to your filters. If you select 'hidden' or 'nested' the parent task 'owns' them and they are no longer visible to your views.

For a fuller explanation you might have to ask Toodledo by posting a question in the 'Questions' forum (perhaps just link this thread to a new one in Questions).

I am not exactly sure what you mean in your last paragraph about views and searches. Are you asking why selecting one of flattened/nested/hidden affects search results? If so, I guess because this option is really a filter rather than just a view option. Not sure if that makes sense but again is how I understand it.
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
Seems to me that when you design software, you have to make decisions about how different people are going to use it and try to accomodate the maximum number by giving them flexible solutions. In the case of heirarchal tasks, sometimes some people are going to want to see all the subtasks, and sometimes they won't. I think the TD developers tried to give us options both ways, which naturally leads to some drawbacks. If they had done the opposite, they belived they would have had move complaints that by doing this way, and I believe they're probably right. There are many compromises in software design, and this is a great example. No matter how they resolved the issue, some of us were going to like it, and others not so much.
michael.salerno

Posted: Aug 08, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
This is how I use Stars and Tags to achieve a similar result. I use Stars only for items I want to accomplish TODAY. In my iPhone app, I can view them all quickly with the Star view.
I use Tags only as an "Action Tag" meaning I identify the next action I need to take (ultimately the only thing I really care about). I keep it real simple here - the tag is either "Next Action" or "Waiting", which means I must do the next task OR I follow-up with someone who I am waiting to get something done so I can complete my project/deliverable. Given I may not work on every project everyday, or won't be bugging someone everyday, I use Stars for what I need to complete TODAY.
SUMMARY: For me, searching for Stars is not important - that's what I use Tags for. Displaying Stars (visual indicator) is all I need for a quick daily check (and I set the Star list as my Application Badge on the iPhone). Hope this helps.
Cheers, Michael
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.