ForumsTips & TricksSomeday/Maybe tasks and folders

Someday/Maybe tasks and folders
DrLaban

Posted: Jan 15, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
So, I was listening to David Allen once again and noticed I hadn't thought much about Someday/Maybes.

I have a bunch of projects that I go through each week and of course I add as many tasks as possible to them when I do mindsweeps and brainstorms.
But, David Allen mentions (or at least that's what I interpret) that the Someday/Maybe "stuff" are tasks. Not projects.
And I've found that I might have thought through a Someday/Maybe-task, broke it down into several tasks, which made it into a project, which in the end is a Someday/Maybe-project.

I don't know how I should handle this, really, so I turn to you people. Do you find yourself in the same situation?
Or do you use another method of taking care of Someday/Maybes?
Perhaps you don't break them down into even more tasks or brainstorm them? But in that case, what if you had some good input to them? Then you'd have to think them over alla again.
Maybe you use subtasks? This could be one solution to the entire issue, seeing that it would be possible to mark the parent task as Someday/Maybe and have it resurface on the weekly reviews, with brainstorming intact.
I should mention that I use folder _only_ as my project list. I don't use subtasks, I had Pro before but didn't use subtasks because I didn't find it to fit in very well in David Allens approach; one project, one folder (which could contain subfolders, which is not implemented in Toodledo (yet?)).
PeterW 

Posted: Jan 15, 2011
My Toodledo setup has folders such as Next, Projects, Waiting for and Someday. My projects are represented by parent tasks in the Projects folder and each has subtasks to represent the project actions.

For this scenario - what I'd call an "inactive project" - I think I'd probably just create a standalone task in my Someday folder and put the actions as bullet points in the Notes field. This keeps all of the thoughts somewhere without creating too much clutter to be reviewed.
Dalker

Posted: Jan 16, 2011
I personally have a special context called "PROJECT" that I apply to any task that instead of being directly activable requires more than one step (in David Allen's sense of "project"), and then add subtasks with regular subtasks to it. A whole project and its tasks could all be labeled with a status of Someday without braking this structure. A disadvantage of folders rather than the subtask structure is that it's probably harder to "hide" the whole thing when you don't want to see it.
DrLaban

Posted: Jan 18, 2011
Posted by PeterW:
My Toodledo setup has folders such as Next, Projects, Waiting for and Someday. My projects are represented by parent tasks in the Projects folder and each has subtasks to represent the project actions.

For this scenario - what I'd call an "inactive project" - I think I'd probably just create a standalone task in my Someday folder and put the actions as bullet points in the Notes field. This keeps all of the thoughts somewhere without creating too much clutter to be reviewed.

THIS made my day. Totally works right on the front end. My Someday/Maybes are all of a sudden readable and reviewable and even without having to resort to subtasks. Cool.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.