ForumsTime ManagementToodledo is great, but how do I gain more time generally?

Toodledo is great, but how do I gain more time generally?
jonathanl_1311071627

Posted: Apr 16, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
I've been using Toodledo for over a year on the web and my iphone (wow, the iphone is good as I can constantly see what I need to sort out). And it's been really good at reducing the anxiety of missing birthdays, keeping up with house work, making sure I book things like holidays in good time.

All in all, brilliant!

I also use YNAB which is great for finance, can't rate it highly enough.

My only problem is that having two children and limited time, I can only just about keep on top of all the things I've got to do, which is better than life before toodledo as lots dropped off the end without getting done, and that wasn't so great.

Has any body got suggestions on how to simplify my life? I know it's general but how can I gain an hour or two a day, how did you gain an hour or so a day?
cabbage

Score: -1 Reference
With the greatest respect, you can't. There are 24 hours in the day and that's that.

That said, here are some tips that work for me:

My list is never empty so I just have to be comfortable with putting it down and chilling it out. Just because something is on a list doesn't mean it's more important than taking time for myself.

If I am pressed for time I hire tradesmen for DIY jobs.

I think carefully about accepting responsibilities. Do I really have time for them? Right now I am writing up a PhD and moving house as well as some freelance programming work and one evening a week teaching martial arts. You can bet I'm telling a lot of people "no" right now!

On a similar note, I'm happy to renegotiate my responsibilities. A quick call to say I have to delay that thing I promised goes a long way. People are usually OK with that. It's when you just fail to do stuff that they get annoyed.

Anyway, there are a few things that work for me. I hope there is something useful there for you!
jonathanl_1311071627

I think perhaps in my case Toodledo has some how lead me to realise that having more is not necessary the best thing for me, seems to mean I need to do more to maintain all that stuff. I think I'm going to have a clear out, and that's another thing to add to my list.
cabbage

If you don't want to schedule a big clear out task, maybe Google "fly lady 27 fling boogie."
jonathanl_1311071627

Cheers Cabbage, I'll give it a go.
Salgud

Great site, cabbage!
cabbage

I heard about it on one of the threads here. It's got a lot of great ideas that I think I might tap into.
Salgud

Posted: Apr 17, 2012
I highly recommend the following website to anyone wishing they had more time:

http://zenhabits.net/the-beginners-guide-to-zen-habits-a-guided-tour/
Joyce

Posted: Apr 23, 2012
I'm wondering if you are a candidate for Flylady because you're trying to do too much.

To steal a line from an old Peg Bracken book, Flylady is for both the spotful housekeeper who won't start AND the spotless housekeeper who won't STOP.

http://www.Flylady.net Hopefully this will turn into a link.
jeremiah.moss

Posted: Apr 30, 2012
"I also use YNAB which is great for finance, can't rate it highly enough."

Agreed :). Finally, budgeting software that makes sense and doesn't require an accounting degree to use. And has some good philosophies about managing money as well.

If they're old enough, feel free to ask your kids to help out with stuff. My mother had four children, and often I was asked to help with chores or to watch my younger siblings. You'll find that in large families, the older children often help care for the younger ones.

Encourage teamwork and independence. There's not much more advice I can give without knowing your situation, though.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.