ForumsTime ManagementPostponed vs Hold

Postponed vs Hold
Steve

Posted: Nov 25, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Can anyone explain to me how they distinguish between "postponed" and "hold" statuses? Both sound like "don't do this at the moment".

Also, does anyone have a good way of indicating the distinction between tasks that you've started, and those you haven't? I often have something like 5-10 tasks swimming around that I could be working on, but if I have the choice, I'd rather work on something that's started (and get it finished), than start something new. I've been putting all of these in Active, and the one or two that I expect to work on today as Next Action...but maybe there's a better way.
PeterW 

Posted: Nov 25, 2010
I'm not using the status field at all so it's not an issue for me. My guess is that you'd use 'Postponed' for a task that's been put off until a future but unknown date. Which would make it much the same as 'Someday'. 'Hold' might be used if you are waiting for something or someone, which would make it similar to 'Waiting for'.

Maybe others have a better idea about these status selections but in my mind they just seem to complicate things. If you have to think about what it means then you're wasting mental processing. But I guess you don't have to use some of the available status options if you don't want them.

Re your second question - I've approached this a few different ways. The first is to add some date-stamped notes to the task so I can record progress. The task only gets checked off when it's fully complete, not before.

The second approach is that I will occasionally break the task into multiple smaller steps, i.e. make it a small project (parent task & a number of subtasks). I kinda like being able to check stuff off so this feels better. And in some cases I probably should have set it up as a project when originally defining the task.
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Nov 26, 2010
Hi,

I use status, and for me the "postponed" is being delayed, like when my boss says that this that we are working should be postponed to next week - this is different from someday because a task is defined and I have a date of when to pick it up again.
The "hold" is more near the canceled, somebody told you to stop until...

This works for me because I have a job where this happens, so its intuitive instead of stopping to think about it. My advice is to see if you really need it, an if it doesn't make complete sense to you then don't use it.

One way of seeing something that you started is placing a start date or to start the timer. That way you will always know inside the next actions what are the incompletes.
Salgud

Posted: Nov 29, 2010
I use "postponed" when a task is delayed a specific amount of time but will be done then. "Hold" is when it's being held, with no known date for it to resume. Many of these I find never get restarted and I end up cancelling or deleting (Cancelled if I want a record that I didn't do it because I was told to "hold" it. Delete if I doubt anyone will ever ask.

I don't have the issue with remembering what's started and what isn't, but if I did, I'd use "Active" status for unstarted tasks, and "Next Action" for things I've started and want to complete before I start something new.
kathy

Posted: Jan 01, 2011
I use Hold as a way to handle dependencies (until that gets implemented). Basically, something is in Hold if it depends on something else that hasn't happened yet. I periodically go through my Hold tasks to check if their status should be changed. And I use Waiting For only for tasks where I'm waiting for someone else to respond or do something - which is different than when another task needs to be completed first.

To me, Someday is more like maybe someday.

But then, I don't really use Postponed. So far, that one doesn't seem to apply to my task management.
Andrew A

Posted: Jan 03, 2011
Yeah... Hold is near canceled for me if used at all.

@Kathy Waiting is what I use for dependencies
harrymac1972

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
Posted by kathy:
I use Hold as a way to handle dependencies (until that gets implemented). Basically, something is in Hold if it depends on something else that hasn't happened yet. I periodically go through my Hold tasks to check if their status should be changed. And I use Waiting For only for tasks where I'm waiting for someone else to respond or do something - which is different than when another task needs to be completed first.

To me, Someday is more like maybe someday.

Exactly the same!
Hold = Waiting for me to do something first.
Waiting = Waiting for somebody else to do something first.

This message was edited Feb 04, 2011.
harrymac1972

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
I use Postponed status for my Master Project List. 'P' for Postponed & Project

I sort by status with sub-tasks set to indent on review.

Both the Postponed and Holds are hidden with Deferred Filter.

EG:

Fix Brakes ...............................................Postponed
Call Shop.................................................None
Email Stephanie to drop truck off...................Hold
Pick up truck............................................Hold
Enter receipts for truck...............................Hold

When I scan my Project List...'Postponed' with status set as sort I'm scanning to see that Hold is never directly below a Postponed on the right hand of screen... that means an action was done above it and it needs to be changed from 'Hold' to 'None' (or 'Planning' with a start date to repeat unsucessful request in a week or something OR 'Waiting')

This message was edited Feb 04, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.