ForumsTime ManagementApps you use on a daily basis

Apps you use on a daily basis
Salgud

Posted: Jul 26, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
PC Apps (at work)
TD
EN 2.2 (way more powerful than EN 3.x)
GroupWise (Novell's placeholder so they can claim they have something like Outlook)
Google Calendar
40tude (for newsgroups)
IE7 (no choice at work)

OSX Apps (at home, on iMac)
TD
EN 3.x (EN 2.2 never existed on the Mac)
Google Calendar
Google Chrome (sometimes FF)

iPhone Apps (when I had one)
EN
Things (was, will be TD now)
SplashShopper (lists, like my grocery lists)
Keeper
Safari
Calengoo (syncs seamlessly with Google Calendar, much better than iCal)

My sons give me grief about how many apps I have on my iMac and my iPhone (when I had it). I like to try out new things. Some work out and I keep, most don't.
regula_balteschwiler

Posted: Sep 24, 2010
Score: -4 Reference
Since we use Scrum at work, I came across Kanban. Now Toodledo holds my backlog and the real workflow is managed in www.kanbantool.com I simply love it!

Kind regards,
Regula
roelveldhuizen

Posted: Oct 18, 2010
I use

Toodledo (obviously)
Google calendar
Tomboy notes (with Ubuntu One for syncing)
Gmail (sometimes Evolution for offline writing)
Rescuetime
Ohlife (for journaling)

I still doubt whether Ohlife has any added value to my productivity.
cornopean

Posted: Oct 18, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
all right people....dump Outlook and spring for Zimbra or Evolution. anyone?
roelveldhuizen

Posted: Oct 21, 2010
I forgot to mention Read it later and Postponer Adder extension for chrome.

@cornopean I'm using Ubuntu which has evolution as default e-mail client. I mostly use Gmail but for some offline typing it works excellent and it will sync my calendars, tasks and contacts with my system.
greginfla_

Posted: Nov 29, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I didn't see anyone mention toggl. Use it to record time spent on daily activities. I wish there was some way to integrate toodledo and toggl. Click on a task in toodledo and it starts in toggl.
kegandrew

Posted: Dec 14, 2010
iPhone:
Toodledo: Great task management. Decided on this because Jott can send notes to it.
Informant: syncs with Toodledo and Google Calendar
Jott: My primary capture device. Quick to take a note. Can capture using voice and then send it to Toodledo which is then available in Informant. I also use this to write blog posts and emails with my voice since Jott automatically transcribes my messages. I have to go back and combine/edit the notes, but this is a great way to get my thoughts down without having to type them directly.
Roboform for iPhone: This is a fantastic app that I also use on all my computers along with Goodsync.
Read It Later: This is my pre-bookmarking app. Then once I'm back on a PC I can open the page in a browser and use Delicious to bookmark the page.
Dropbox: Great way to transfer docs/pdfs to all devices.

Desktop/Laptop:
Toodledo:
Firefox: Best stable tabbed Browsing.
IE: Just for Outlook Web Access
iTunes: I keep my whole media library (music, podcasts, audiobooks) in here so I can load them to my iPod/iPhone as needed. Now that it loads a lot faster on my PC, it's not as painful to use.
Roboform/Goodsync:
Jott:
Google Calendar, voice, and gmail: Switched from exchange server and Outlook when Google Sync came out.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2010.
kegandrew

Posted: Dec 14, 2010
Score: -2 Reference
Continued... Part 2
Read it Later:
Delicious: For all my bookmarks.
Dropbox: Just drop it and it’s on all my computers and phone.
Textaloud MP3: Reads everything to me!
MS Office: works good enough.
ACDsee Canvas: A graphics everything application package.
Irfanview: great image viewer and basic editor. Love the batch function!
Nail It 1.10: Keeps the window I choose on top.
Wisdom-soft Screenhunter: allows me to save what I’m seeing as a screen capture.

@regula_balteschwiler: After reading this thread, I decided to try out kanbantool.com for my work projects. I absolutely LOVE this tool! If Toodledo could possibly come up with a similar interface that we can use that would make Toodledo even more awesome! Ultimately, I love the interface for Kanbantool and would use that excluseively if they had the following:
-The ability to attach tasks to each other as in subtasks.
-Have Timers for tasks.
Kanban tool is so efficient, easy and fun to use! It’s got a clean, quick interface that is also easy to use on multi-touch screens. It also has a great collaboration function.
greginfla_

Posted: Dec 31, 2010
can any one recommend a simple (simple as in easy to implement) project management software? I maybe offer a job as a controller for a new start-up manufacturing firm...... and I need to find a good project management program.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 03, 2011
Others may have simple answers, but having used, consulted and trained on PM software for many years, it's not a simple question. It's like asking, "Please recommend a good car". Depends on so many factors and priorities. How many projects? How big are your projects in terms of tasks, time, money and resources? What kinds of projects? Software projects are managed entirely differently than construction projects. Also, where will you do you want to be five years from now? If you start with a very basic PM application, will you outgrow it in 2 years and have to start anew with something more advanced? Will you be tracking manhours? Costs? Risks? Quality? This is not a simple thing. But getting a good fit is crucial to sucess. I've seen many companies fail at implementing PM because they thought you just pick some software and implement it, almost a guaranteed path to failure. It takes research, needs assessements, and some planning to get real PM going in an organization, just like a quality iniative. The most common mistake in implementing either is just pick some software and run with it. I read a few years ago that 80% of quality initiatives in North America fail. I would guess it's similar for PM initiatives.

I urge you to get professional help in this effort. Otherwise, the odds are 4 to 1 against you.
Dave

@greg, I haven't used these but I have heard good things about wedist (http://wedoist.com/?ref=todoist) or for a bit more coin Basecamp has a strong following http://basecamphq.com/
huwevans projecthelm.com

You don't need to focus on PM software, you need to focus on good project management technique. There are many good PM's who get by with just Excel. You could also easily use Toodledo as your basis for PM.

Think about what the activities are that you want to perform as a project manager. Then look for software that will support those activities. A tool like MS project has all the functions you need, but also has about 1,000 other functions as well - which can be confusing to start with.

- Huw
regula_balteschwiler

Posted: Jan 04, 2011
@kegandrew: :oD glad you love kanbantool, too!

News: In addition to the paid plans they still offer the free plan, but it's quite limited (2 users, 1 board). To activate it, you will need to click on a smaller link below the 3 main
plans.
For me, that's ok, I work in a small team and use it together with my colleague.

But I agree with you: subtasks would be lovely. And interaction with Toodledo! I think they would listen to your ideas, just email them on the feedback-sheet! :o)
loughnane.c

Posted: Jan 06, 2011
I also use toggl. The combination of Toggl and toodledo is beautiful for a product development consultancy.. would be nice to see some integration or one of them eat the others lunch.

Posted by greg:
I didn't see anyone mention toggl. Use it to record time spent on daily activities. I wish there was some way to integrate toodledo and toggl. Click on a task in toodledo and it starts in toggl.
kentyl

Posted: Jan 17, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
• Google Calendar

• Toodledo

http://www.dropbox.com ( Or use http://db.tt/w94Dskn to join and we'll both get 250 MB extra storage. ) to synchronize files between my computers and Android phone.

• KeepassX and KeepassDroid to view/edit my passwords on the desktop and on my Android phone. I have the encrypted password database on DropBox so that I always have it with me. ( Beware of Keepass which has a safer encryption (but I think you can set it to the legacy version somehow, which I think is safe enough), which KeepassX (available on Windows/Mac/Linux) and KeePassDroid can not handle yet. )

https://www.goosync.com to synchronize my Google Calendar with my Nokia N82 phone which runs Symbian. I subscribe to the Event feed from Toodledo to get my tasks into my calendar on the phone. If only Toodledo had a native Symbian applications, sigh.

• Google Docs for documentation.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2011.
Kevin1

Posted: Mar 07, 2011
iPhone

Evernote - just started playing with this. I like the idea of photos in the notes, just so convenient to snap a picture of something vs. trying to type it in sometimes. I'd prefer to just have it in my Outlook notes though, then it is sync'd to my PC and I don't have another app/website to sync.

Toodledo - any updates on adding features to the Notebook? I vote for photo capture from iPhone.

MobileRSS - RSS news reader - using the free version and it works pretty well.

LockInfo - jailbreak app to put calendar on LockScreen. I have Toodledo hotlist on here too via a RSS feed.

PC

Outlook - sync'd with iPhone via iTunes and Toodledo Sync Application

This message was edited Mar 07, 2011.
Kyle

Posted: Mar 09, 2011
I use:

Toodledo
Busycal - syncs great with toodledo
Alfred - For local searches on my mac
Evernote - Sometimes, just getting used to it.
1 Password - Well over 200 logins/passwords easy to use and integrates with browsers
Gmail - way too much time here

Those are my daily ones.
Sytone

Posted: Mar 09, 2011
I try to keep it simple:

Toodledo
Outlook 2010 (Quick Steps ROCK)
OneNote 2010 (and the rest of office if i need it)
IE9
Using KeePass more these days do it is becoming a important part of the desktop.

Do AutoHotKey Scripts count :)
clr_1300103868

Posted: Mar 22, 2011
Hello all! So many ideas for productivity, thankyou!!
I wanted a program that would ask me what I'm doing every 10 minutes, and I'd have a drop-down list or could write in new activities. I wrote such a program in Excel with VBA but it's too buggy to be useable. Does this already exist (and for free?)
clr_1300103868

Posted: Mar 22, 2011
Score: -2 Reference
and that would record the activities with time in such a way as I could look back and make charts, etc. Like a manager looking over my shoulder without the fear!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.