ForumsGetting Things Done®Cool new iPhone ToDo app

Cool new iPhone ToDo app
wjlynch

Posted: Nov 21, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hey guys,

I am a long-time user of Toodledo and a heavy user of iPhone. On my quest to find the perfect app that supports Toodledo, I came across an exciting new app called eToDo. The app is only $.99 right now, so I figured I had nothing to lose. While the app does not sync with Toodledo right now, I reached out to the developer and they plan to offer sync with Toodledo. The app is really cool and different from what is currently out there. They have built it around GTD which is another reason I really like it. I think they might have a free light version, but I didn't check.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 24, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Thanks for the update wjlynch.

I have not actually tried the app yet, but just looking at the description I am not sure they understand GTD.

http://screencast.com/t/YTcyODk0OW

All GTD Specific apps/service have the list that I created in Toodledo for GTD.

I don't like what they call their Action list. In other GTD apps, this is simply the Starred list or the Today list. The wording on this makes it sound like another Action list which is what the Next list is.

Today is the most clear description for this list.

I also don't like their definition of the "Next" list. They say "Things you may want to do later" which is incorrect. The Next list is everything you already decided needs to be done as soon as possible. Things you may want to do later is your Someday/Maybe list.

Their description of Someday list is also wrong. They state "a good place to put future plans" and that is wrong. Someday/Maybe is a list of task that sound good to you, you would like to do them, but you are not sure if you will get around to it or not. It's not a list of future plans because many of these task will simply get removed during your Weekly Review.

Where are Projects? If it's a GTD app. There needs to be a Projects list. hmmm.

Not looking good so far.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2009.
David

I bought the app the other day and I love it. The UI is fantastic and it's even got me to stop using toodledo for now because it's so easy on the eyes. I'm really hoping the developer adds syncing soon which is must for me!
wjlynch

Proximo,

I see that the description might be a little off, but the app itself is pretty cool. The developers are based in China, so perhaps something is lost in translation.

I have not fully committed to it just yet as it does not sync with Toodledo, but they are very responsive and said that Toodledo sync is being worked on. The app only ran me $.99, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I just like the fact that it is so different from all the other todo apps out there that I have tried. What is best about it is the multiple ways of filtering lists.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
I may need to try it out. I am just very particular with having the base foundation of GTD available to me and Projects is one of them.

Maybe you can update me as you use it.

Until it get's in sync with Toodledo, I could not use it anyway.
wjlynch

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
Yeah, I would hold off for now Proximo. No use for it yet except playing around with the features until Toodledo sync is implemented. I'll keep you posted if it turns out to be a worthy contender for our Toodledo/GTD needs.

BTW, just curious what you are currently using on the iphone and how it's working out for you. I have been back and forth between ToDo and Toodledo iphone app. I am currently getting the most use out of the Toodledo iphone app, but the lack of multiple filters is killing it for me.
c.e.perry

Posted: Nov 27, 2009
wjlynch: If you're looking for a iPhone app that is built around the GTD methodology, and syncs with Toodledo now, you might be interested in Action Lists. You can get more information from our website: http://software.dazeend.org/action_lists

Good luck on finding your right tool!
Proximo

Posted: Nov 30, 2009
Posted by wjlynch:
Yeah, I would hold off for now Proximo. No use for it yet except playing around with the features until Toodledo sync is implemented. I'll keep you posted if it turns out to be a worthy contender for our Toodledo/GTD needs.

BTW, just curious what you are currently using on the iphone and how it's working out for you. I have been back and forth between ToDo and Toodledo iphone app. I am currently getting the most use out of the Toodledo iphone app, but the lack of multiple filters is killing it for me.

I am currently using the Toodledo iPhone app and experimenting with the ToDo app from Appigo.

I love the Appigo app because it's setup more for GTD but there are certain things that break when you sync. to the Toodledo website. Appigo does not use Stars which I like, but the iPhone app is way better than the Toodledo app.

I was honestly thinking of a way to hack Toodledo to make it work with ToDo much better, but I am just tired of it. I am tired of hacking Toodledo all the time and decided to just quit trying anymore.

I will use it how I can and hope for something better from Toodledo or any other company that wants to do a great GTD application.
zespri

Posted: Feb 03, 2010
PeterW 

Posted by zespri:
Another app of the series:
http://getitdoneapp.com/iphone-todo-list-task-manager.php

Just took a look. The interface is nice but it's missing some key features for me, e.g. contexts.

Same applies to another app I've seen recently: Doit.im. They offer iPhone app and a desktop version than runs via Adobe Air so it runs on Win/Mac/whatever. Both are free. However they don't have contexts either.
Proximo

Posted by PeterW:
Posted by zespri:
Another app of the series:
http://getitdoneapp.com/iphone-todo-list-task-manager.php

Just took a look. The interface is nice but it's missing some key features for me, e.g. contexts.

Same applies to another app I've seen recently: Doit.im. They offer iPhone app and a desktop version than runs via Adobe Air so it runs on Win/Mac/whatever. Both are free. However they don't have contexts either.

I tried Doit.im and it was bery buggy and slow. I need to be on the Cloud so this rules Doit.im out.
icerelic

Posted: Mar 21, 2010
Hi, I'm the developer of eTodo. I admit that when I first designed the app, I didn't understand some of the key concepts of GTD. I agree with what @Proximo said about 'Action', 'Next', and 'Someday'.

Now we've brought another app, called Taska, which offers a lot of improved features, including projects, checklists, geo-contexts, Things-like GTD lists and custom lists. It also supports (limited) Toodledo syncing. You can find the details at our web site: http://www.bitalpha.com

So what about eTodo? Is eTodo dead?
No. Though eTodo has lots of design flaws, it doesn't mean it's beyond repair. And that's the main motivation of Taska. We've learned many useful things from Things by Cultured Code and OmniFocus by The OmniGroup during the development of Taska. Now it is time to upgrade eTodo.

However, eTodo, just like its name, is meant to be easy and simple, even simpler than Taska. We will try to make it clean and lightweight, while keeping it low-priced. Limited Toodledo syncing will be part of the next update of eTodo. We're now re-making the UI part to make it look like Taska.
cjuzda

Posted: Mar 22, 2010
Looks very promising. I will not purchase it yet as I already have purchased 3 apps - ToDo, Toodledo and 2Do (which I'm using now) but will keep an eye out to see how it evolves. Can you explain more about the "limited" syncing with TD as I couldn't find much detail on the site with respect to what the limits are. Thanks
c.barber78

Posted: Mar 27, 2010
I wrote a review of taska here:
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281905
Its pretty good, I prefer Todo for the moment though.
cjuzda

Posted: Mar 28, 2010
Nice review, thanks. Can project tasks be set up to be sequential?

Posted by c.barber78:
I wrote a review of taska here:
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281905
Its pretty good, I prefer Todo for the moment though.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.