ForumsGetting Things Done®Appigo Todo now better for GTD

Appigo Todo now better for GTD
davidholliday

Posted: Feb 12, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I find it amusing that for ages the Toodledo app and Appigo Todo seem to share the spot on the front page of my iPhone. I've always preferred the Todo interface, but Toodledo app has often performed better - especially since I switch to Proximo GTD relying on the Star field.

So I was happy yesterday to see that the latest Todo version finally supports the Star - back to the front page it goes!!

Todo also supports TextExpander now as well, making it really fast to enter common phrases. All in all a nice upgrade.

What I'm looking forward to now is the day that Pocket Informant supports sub-tasks, supposed to be happening in the next release. It will become a three way fight then!
Proximo

Posted: Feb 12, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Thank for the update. I think the lack of Star was the main feature I was missing with Todo.

I still need start dates. They do this and I would use Todo for sure. Todo has a GTD style UI which means it's simple to look at, organized as GTD should be and it still gives you access to all the features. (Excluding start dates)

looking good.

Anyone have a trick on how to use Due Dates to make a task show up in the Star view automatically?

This message was edited Feb 12, 2010.
cjuzda

Posted: Feb 14, 2010
ToDo is also my favourite due primarily to the clean and simple UI and the way it handles projects. The stars are a huge plus. There are some pretty neat iphone todo apps coming out right now but I find some of them are mainly about appearance rather than functionality 2Do has some very cool features but isn't there yet, particularly no sync to Toodledo, no contexts, etc.- it relies to heavily on tags although it handles tags very well. SOME day, someone is going to get it just right (for me) I hope.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 15, 2010
Posted by cjuzda:
ToDo is also my favourite due primarily to the clean and simple UI and the way it handles projects. The stars are a huge plus. There are some pretty neat iphone todo apps coming out right now but I find some of them are mainly about appearance rather than functionality 2Do has some very cool features but isn't there yet, particularly no sync to Toodledo, no contexts, etc.- it relies to heavily on tags although it handles tags very well. SOME day, someone is going to get it just right (for me) I hope.

I know this sounds crazy but I started to learn Programming for the purpose of creating my own Web Application for GTD one day. This is a personal project with no team or time-line, so it may take me a long time.

I have always wanted to learn Programming but the lack of a simple GTD solution in the cloud inspired me to move forward on this.

:-)
cjuzda

Posted: Feb 15, 2010
Good stuff, Proximo. I wish you well with your endeavour! Based on your posts, you certainly have an excellent understanding of GTD and what is required
jlaker

Posted: Feb 16, 2010
This latest update to Todo made it pretty much perfect for me. With the addition of the star feature you can now go into the starred list and see only starred tasks. The focus list always shows the project containing the task which forces you to drill down to see what you really need to see.

With this update I would say Todo is the best task management app for the iPhone right now.. IMO.
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 16, 2010
Posted by Proximo:
I still need start dates. They do this and I would use Todo for sure.

I've just posted a request for start dates in their Google Group. Hopefully the more people ask, the sooner it will happen.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 17, 2010
I got Todo and have used it over the weekend.

My initial impressions are:

1. I love it
2. It's simple and clean
3. It's designed with GTD in mind.

The only two things I can immediately see missing is are:
- Start date support
- Showing Star list on the Application Badge

What I am doing now is using the Focus list to show me task due today or tomorrow that may not be Stared at the moment. This helps to get a sneak peak of what is coming in the next two days and to remind me to add them to my Star list. Even when working in my starred list, I can be reminded in the Foucs List what has a due date for that day or the next. The star still shows on the task in the Focus List so it's nice.

More sorting options would be nice but "Due Date / Priority" works just fine. I can also manually sort individual task which is great.

So far I love it and use it constantly. In fact, I find myself using the Todo iPhone app. while working on my Office Computer, just because the UI is so nice to use.

When I open a task, I see the notes associated with it quickly without having to dig for them. When I open my projects, I can see the sub-task listed front and center as it should be.

I am really enjoying this.

I will do a full review soon.

Just a quick look at my front screen with Todo. Notice how my Folders are considered list in Todo, just like GTD. Also notice that there is no need to scroll down. Everything I need is shown in one screen without having to scroll. Love it....

http://screencast.com/t/NWM5ZWU4OWIt
mike

Thanks for the post Proximo. I have a couple questions for you:
-Are you comfortable giving Todo your Toodledo login information? I'm assuming you are, since you're using it, but I've always had reservations about giving third parties my login data.
-I notice you have a folder for Next Actions, does this mean your NA's under a project would NOT be under the "Projects" folder?

Thanks again!
Dave

I have been playing a little bit with Todo but one thing I noticed was that it doesn't do status. Did I miss it somewhere in the options?
jlaker

You didn't miss it. It's not supported in Todo. I stopped using status in Toodledo and use tags instead. I find it to be more flexible anyway.
PeterW 

Posted by Dave:
I have been playing a little bit with Todo but one thing I noticed was that it doesn't do status. Did I miss it somewhere in the options?

That's correct - there is no status field in Todo. I was using this field in Toodledo but turned it off and haven't missed it.

Posted by Proximo:
I got Todo and have used it over the weekend.

My initial impressions are:

1. I love it
2. It's simple and clean
3. It's designed with GTD in mind.

I began using Todo not long after getting my iPhone and it actually led me to Toodledo and GTD. Like you, I think the interface is very good and intuitive. More recently I've tried out Toodledo on the iPhone and have commented in the forums here that it is more powerful but unfortunately in my opinion also much more complicated to use.

When I reconfigured Toodledo to follow your GTD implementation a while back my Todo main screen became just like yours and as you've said, it is great.

Be sure to post a request for start dates on Appigo's Todo Google Group. The more people ask, the more likely we'll get it.
PeterW 

Posted by PeterW:
Be sure to post a request for start dates on Appigo's Todo Google Group. The more people ask, the more likely we'll get it.

Oh, and if Jake can give us the ability to rename Toodledo's "No Folder" to "Inbox" it would be perfect with Appigo Todo.
mike

Hmm, I just got ToDo and I like the way it looks, especially the main screen. However, there Is no status so I can't add tasks to projects :(. That's a killer for me.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 18, 2010
Posted by mike:
-Are you comfortable giving Todo your Toodledo login information? I'm assuming you are, since you're using it, but I've always had reservations about giving third parties my login data.
-I notice you have a folder for Next Actions, does this mean your NA's under a project would NOT be under the "Projects" folder?

Thanks again!

Mike, Toodledo has an API for third parties for this very purpose and I have no issues at all giving them my login information.

On Next Actions, you can read this in detail on my LONG running thread called "Proximo's GTD Setup". My Next Actions for my Projects are under the Project folder and stay with the Projects. In GTD the ideal way for this to work is that the Next Action of every Active Project shows up in the Next list for your weekly reviews.

This does not work well in Toodledo because of the Nesting and In-line functions. I decided to keep my Projects Next Actions in the Projects folder only. When I do my Weekly Reviews, I go through my Next List (Individual Task) and then my Projects list. Not a big issue but I would prefer for it to work as GTD does. Just hated the triggers I had to deal with in Toodledo.
jlaker

Why not just use tags instead? I stopped using status because of the lack of support in Todo and haven't missed it one bit.
Proximo

Posted by Dave:

In my GTD Setup with Toodledo, the Status field is not needed.

Status vs. GTD Setup
Next Action = Star
Active = Next List
Planning = Someday List
Delegated = Waiting For List
Hold = Someday List
Postponed = Someday List or New Start Date on task
Someday = Someday
Cancelled = Delete Task
Reference = I use Evernote

As you can see, GTD replaces 9 Status options with just 3 List and a Star. :-) Simpler.
Proximo

Posted by mike:
Hmm, I just got ToDo and I like the way it looks, especially the main screen. However, there Is no status so I can't add tasks to projects :(. That's a killer for me.

Read my reply to Dave above. You don't require a Status field if you are using GTD. You can use a Status field, but I find it useless because of the simple structure of GTD and how it still captures the same information a status field would.

GTD can do this in a simpler way.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010.
mike

Posted by Proximo:
Posted by mike:

Thanks again!

Mike, Toodledo has an API for third parties for this very purpose and I have no issues at all giving them my login information.

On Next Actions, you can read this in detail on my LONG running thread called "Proximo's GTD Setup". My Next Actions for my Projects are under the Project folder and stay with the Projects. In GTD the ideal way for this to work is that the Next Action of every Active Project shows up in the Next list for your weekly reviews.

This does not work well in Toodledo because of the Nesting and In-line functions. I decided to keep my Projects Next Actions in the Projects folder only. When I do my Weekly Reviews, I go through my Next List (Individual Task) and then my Projects list. Not a big issue but I would prefer for it to work as GTD does. Just hated the triggers I had to deal with in Toodledo.

Thanks Proximo. I'm afraid, however, I'm still confused. Does your Next list contain individual tasks not associated with projects? Or does it contain both project-related and standalone NA's?

Also, in regards to Starring. I use Stars in order to keep track of new tasks I make that I need to turn into a subtask of a project. I haven't thought of any other way to do this, how do you go about this?
Proximo

@Mike,

My Next List only has individual task and not associated with Projects. My Projects list has the Parent task (Project) with all it's sub-task (Next Actions).

I keep the Project sub-task in the Project list because when I change the Next Action of a Project to my Next list, it's hard to work with. The reason is that you must change from Nesting to Flatten state in order to see the sub-task in your Next List and when you go back to your Project List, you must revert back.

At least this was the issue for me and others in the past. I have not checked to see if this changed any.

When doing my weekly review, I go through all my list anyway, so nothing falls through the cracks.

In order to understand my full GTD Setup, you really need to visit my "Proximo's GTD Setup" thread. I have some videos there that explain it and the many post on there cover some details.

You can use stars as you see fit and what makes sense to you. I try to keep GTD as pure as I could with Toodledo and therefore use the Stars for all the Next Actions I have decided to accomplish on that day. This Star view is my "Today" view of what I am committed too. This is true for any Project task as well.

Once I go through my Weekly Review, I can work from my Starred list and keep my focus on what I am doing that day. It's all on my GTD Setup thread so check it out. It also has many helpful tips from others on GTD.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.