ForumsGetting Things Done®Only 1 context

Only 1 context
pboru

Posted: Feb 06, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I essentially do all my work on the computer. I make very few calls, few agendas, etc. Thus my entire NA list is @Computer for the context. Do I need to create sub contexts such as @MS Excel @MS Access...OR do I then need to default to Priority, Energy, and Time ?
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 07, 2011
My view is that sub-contexts such as @Excel, @Access etc might be going a bit too far. If you're at the computer then you can easily switch between applications so you're not really limited in what you can do at that time.

On the other hand, time and energy would be good to help decide what to do although Toodledo doesn't cater for them directly. Maybe you could use Tags to hack a solution for those although I haven't tried anything like that and don't know if it would work well.

As for priority, GTD doesn't really promote priority as a good way to determine what to do next.
Dalker

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
Your subcontexts might be a good idea, in the sense that contexts also mean that once you start working on a specific mode, it's easy to continue. I think David Allen gives the example of @phone : it takes some energy to take the phone and get into the "phonecall" mode, but once you're there, it's easier to stay there and do all your phonecalls at once - one of the arguments to sort tasks by context to begin with.
cesarabeid

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
If all of your work is done at the computer, then setting "Computer" as a context really serves no purpose. It would be like having a context called "Earth." Or filing all your reference material under "P" for "paper."

The idea of a context is for you to easily access a list of tasks that can be done once you find yourself in that context. For example, I have a context called "driving," in which I have tasks to be performed when I'm out on the road. For example: deposit a check, or buy windshield washer fluid.

So it's not really the best idea to have a context called "Excel" in my opinion. It is not like you are going to find yourself at Excel, and then pull out a list of things to do while you're there.

If all you do is in the same context, perhaps you don't need the concept of contexts in your system. My feeling though is that you have other things in your life that are not done at the computer (unless you are physically bound to it). That's when contexts shine: as you move about your day, you find yourself here and there, and having a list of tasks that can be done here or there allows you to be productive all the time, while having everything off your mind.

I hope that helps!

Cesar
http://pmforthemasses.com
Dave

Posted: Feb 09, 2011
I agree with Cesar on the @computer being worthless. Another idea is if you work with a group of clients to have each client a context. That is what I recommended with my wife for her work. There is no strict guideline to what a context has to be.
KatBoy

Posted: Feb 14, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
I agree - most of my work is also done on the computer.

But I have still found contexts useful, ie @10Minutes for quick tasks and @Thinking for tasks which require planning, research etc. Grouping them together like this has increased my productivity.

Also @Shopping for grouping things outside the home, which could be shopping, posting letters, going to the gym, etc.

I also like the OP's idea of @Energy - grouping tasks based on energy levels.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.