ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatGoogle tasks in calendar

Google tasks in calendar
frossie

Posted: May 19, 2009
Score: -1 Reference
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/tasks-now-in-calendar-too.html

(No I'm not switching. I don't know whether there is an API that toodledo can sync to, which might be interesting)
Anders

Posted: May 19, 2009
Exactly my thoughts when I saw the new integration with Google calendar. However, there is not an API for Google tasks yet, and it would be a minimal sync at best if there were an API because Google Tasks are just so simplistic. Lots of hierarchy (unlimited, I think), but all you can use is Lists, Task names, Due Dates, Tags, and Notes. There is not even any way of doing context without making separate lists or using tags, and there are no priorities. Still, it is an interesting thought, because of the tight integration with gmail, and now gcal.

Edit: BTW, here is a place you can vote for Google to create an API for Tasks: http://code.google.com/p/gdata-issues/issues/detail?id=987
It says specifically for tasks in gmail, but it shouldn't make a difference, and the original post was from before you could get them in the calendar anyway.

Also, I think I was wrong about Google Tasks even having tags. I thought they did, but apparently they don't.

This message was edited May 19, 2009.
chijude

Posted: May 26, 2009
I am new to toodledo and have a mac and also a google calendar on my website which I sync with ical. So....I also heard that BusySync helps with that so I was wondering if I should sync with google and then sync that with ical. I haven't used BusySync yet. Any of you have any experience keeping all this together???

chijude
Anders

Posted: May 27, 2009
I just saw how the Google Tasks in Google Calendar works, and it's really nothing special, just a bar that appears next to your calendar (shrinking your calendar). Might as well just use the Toodledo sidebar. :)

@chijude,
I'm not clear on exactly what you're asking. I don't use BusySync, but I've heard good things about it and Spanning Sync as well. However, if you are asking about syncing the Toodledo iCal through Google Calendar to other apps, I can tell you it works pretty well. I sync through gcal to both Thunderbird/Lightning and to my iPod. It's great for reminders as well since Google Calendar has more options there than Toodledo does.

~Anders
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.