ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatPolitical outlook of Toodledo users

Political outlook of Toodledo users
cornopean

Posted: Oct 18, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Just to be crazy here.....but are toodledo users mostly right or left? (mods pls delete if this is out of order)

Is Barack doing what you want him to do? If so, how so? If not, how not?
Andrew A

Posted: Oct 19, 2010
General Off Topic Chit-Chat? Would seem on topic.

Left of center here (not way left, if you think I am way left it's because you are so dang far to the right that I look further away than I am! LOL).

No president has ever done what I want him to do, but I like him better that the prior one who I felt was really not doing anything at all or was even close to what I thought could and should be done.

(and I agree, no need to go all flaming here, let's see who can and can't control themselves).
cornopean

Posted: Oct 22, 2010
Amen about the flaming. You won't get that from me.

I too am not going to defend any particular person. but I will defend/condemn policies.

One policy I'll throw out there is the corporate income tax. It seems to make no sense to me to tax corporations since people always end up paying the tax. Either the shareholders, the employees, or the customers will pay the tax. So....anyone for eliminating the corporate income tax? After all.....WE are paying it. ?
cornopean

Posted: Oct 23, 2010
I guess toodledo users don't care about politics? :)
Andrew A

Afraid more likely.... a lot of vitriol out there. I was tentative when posting a reply and wondering what would come back...
PeterW 

Or maybe just that some of us live in other countries so the US political situation is not of much interest.
Andrew A

Posted: Oct 25, 2010
LOL... then as a frequent listener of BBC World Service, happy to discuss yours!
PeterW 

Posted: Oct 25, 2010
Posted by Andrew A:
LOL... then as a frequent listener of BBC World Service, happy to discuss yours!

Sure... fire away. I'm betting Australian politics don't get much airplay anywhere else in the world. About the only news that makes it to other countries is when a shark bites someone.
Andrew A

Posted: Oct 26, 2010
That would be true, lol! Ever read Freakonomics? (Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything is a 2005 non-fiction book by University of Chicago economist Steven Levitt and New York Times journalist Stephen J. Dubner. The book has been described as melding pop culture with economics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freakonomics they had quiet a bit to say about shark attacks and how coverage is disproportionate to the real threat)

But your news plays out here from time to time as well, though, yeah, AU of course get more coverage from BBC than the American Press (actually, so does US National News! Doh!) but how's that PM of yours working out? She pulling or pushing the great-national-censorship-cut-off-Australia-from-the-rest-of-the-world firewall still? (as a geek, this tends to be the news that matters to me, but the tsunami in Indonesia has also caught our attention a bit over here).
PeterW 

Posted: Oct 26, 2010
I haven't read Freakonomics but it sounds like a good read.

The 'censorship' issue is actually a complete beat up. It's being pushed by the opposition party (which coincidentally is the conservative side of politics and the one normally advocating all kinds of censorship) because their mantra is to just oppose everything the govt proposes.

The more important issue is that the opposition is trying to stop the government rolling out a national fibre broadband network right around the country. The govt won an election on this promise and it has widespread support, but the opposition thinks it's a waste of taxpayer's money. They believe wireless goes just as fast as fibre. FFS!
cornopean

Posted: Nov 13, 2010
Posted by PeterW:
Or maybe just that some of us live in other countries so the US political situation is not of much interest.
but when the US is sick, the rest of the world gets sick too. yes?
PeterW 

Posted: Nov 14, 2010
It used to be that way. It hasn't affected Australia this time around for a few reasons, e.g:
- stable national banks that are regulated to prevent the kind of excess experienced in the USA
- an economy that has had about 25 years of consistent reform (e.g. tax, reduction in industry protection)
- and probably most profoundly, a booming China that is hungry for natural resources (iron ore and coal). Australia has a lot of that to dig up and sell.
piyush_soni

Posted: Nov 14, 2010
Posted by cornopean:
but when the US is sick, the rest of the world gets sick too. yes?

Sadly, 80% of the US population thinks that.

I would guess if China gets sick, US would get sick in a day :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.