This release fixes some timezone and regionalization bugs
Removed the code that was filtering unicode characters from the website API response. This should restore support for unicode characters
Fixed a bug where new Outlook tasks were given a wrong initial modification date, causing an inability to process Toodledo immediate updates for users in some timezone
Fixed a bug where some regional time settings would cause due times to always be created in the AM.
I will try this on Monday when I am in the Office.
Can I just check something, to update I need to:
1) Perform a last sync, so my Outlook and ToodleDo Web are in sync with each other (I always export my tasks to XML as well just in case).
2) Closed down the Outlook Sync Tool
3) Remove the Outlook Sync Tool using Control Panel
4) Install the new version (v0.9.9.4)
5) Sync Again
The reason I ask is that occasionally I get duplicate tasks in the process. It isn't a major problem, but I wanted to make sure I was doing the upgrade correctly.