ForumsDevelopersReporting Application

Reporting Application
mattsez

Posted: Sep 19, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I really like Toodledo, so much so, I decided to subscribe. However, one thing really drives me nuts: the lack of layout customizing with searches. I'm not sure if this is a feature that already exists, or that is around the corner, but I would like to do something about it if I can.

I want there to be a way to at least remove certain fields from a search, without removing them from other searches or other places on the site. Right now, it seems like this is something global, that the only thing you can do is adjust the length and order of the fields, (and even that doesn't seem specific to a search). If possible, I also want to find a way to change the layout, and have it specific to a search.

I tried to use the API, but because JavaScript does not do cross-domain XMLHTTP requests, I can't do something simple, (i.e. not have to set up a separate website). I want something that does not require buying development tools, and I want it to be light-weight so others can use it without them having to install more than component.

Anyone have any ideas? Is my idea not clear? I've tried searching for an obvious simple solution, but so far, nothing.

I would appreciate any input, thank you.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 19, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
whitten

Posted: Sep 23, 2008
I have been trying to find a way to have the possibility of installing some javascript files of my own which is served by the same toodledo.com servers that provide the API. As mattsez has noted, and as I noted previously, the inability to do cross-domain scripting in javascript server means that it is impossible to use the (excellent) Toodledo REST APIs from our own code.

I had thought that I could be clever and use the Files capability to put a .js file up there, or a .htm file that would be able to use XMLHttpRequest to use the REST APIs.

This would let me use code in a file that would be uploaded
like:
{{script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.toodledo.com/file_download.php?file=MyCode.js"}}

The problem I have with that is the links that are created from the
http://www.toodledo.com/files.php interface always marks the downloaded files as only one type:

I get messages like:

you have chosen to open Myfile.html
which is a: Jscript Script File
from http://userdata.toodledo.com

What should Firefox do with this file?

It is true that opening with Firefox is one of the choices,
but what it does is download the file first, and start up Firefox on the copy, not on the original data it got from toodledo.
and of course, then FireFox refuses to allow for the XMLHttpRequest because the local hard disk is not the same place as the place the API is on.

The error I get (on the Error Console) is:

Security Error: Content at file:///C:/MySTUFF.html may not load data from http://www.toodledo.com/api.php?URL=getToken;userid=tdxxxxxxxxx.

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Access to restricted URI denied" code: "1012" nsresult: "0x805303f4 (NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI)" location: "http://www.toodledo.com/file_download.php?file=Code.js Line: 294"]

So, I would like a suggestion on what to do next.

Note, I have not tried to use the notebook to provide this capability yet, but am a bit discouraged. Could it work?

My current theory is that perhaps if the download pages gave a different MIME then it would work?

David
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 24, 2008
There is no way that you are going to get javascript files to run like this. Your best bet is to use a program like greasemonkey.
mattsez

I'm starting to look into some tools like Yahoo! Pipes, Microsoft Popfly, Dapper, Ubiquity, and other mashup services. JavaScript is not going to cut it, unless you want to use GreaseMonkey, (but I didn't find it too appealing).

I can create a C# application, but I wanted something that was portable and could be shared with others. I also wanted to program an interface with HTML/CSS/XSLT, creating and wiring up a form for something like this is a bit too clunky.

I did not want to do ASP.NET or PHP hosting, because I did not want to spend money on monthly hosting, and I just don't trust the free hosting sites, (among other reasons). That's why a REST consuming mashup service from a reputable provider seems ideal, but they all seem to fall short from a fully realized solution. Google Mashup Editor looks promising, but it is in a limited beta.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. In the mean time, I'll let everyone know if I find a solution.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you want to use Python, you could use Google Apps Engine, which is free. Combine this with our free API, and you'll have a totally free hosted solution.
mattsez

Posted: Sep 25, 2008
That's weird that you say that, I signed up for Google App Engine several hours ago. I'm going to throw something together and see what I can do.

By the way, I was able to get an invite for the Google Mashup Editor beta, but so far I don't think it will work for this. I believe it is strictly RSS and ATOM, (but it still looks interesting).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.