ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsThinking of building an Android app. What would you like to see?

Thinking of building an Android app. What would you like to see?
georgeshank

Posted: Feb 09, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Hey guys.

I think Toodledo is pretty fantastic once you get past the UI but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the Android offerings. I don't fault the devs though. Android UI design is a moving target and what is accepted and standard can change in a flash.

I would like to build one based on the latest standards with an emphasis on beautiful UI but I would like to know what is important to you guys? What features are must haves and what sort of functionality are you hoping for.

Also considering a mac client but that is not a top priority right now.
peterpiskun

Posted: Feb 10, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
Hello shankga,

really like that you would give this a try.
i'm also not confident with the android offerings, actually using DGT-GTD and and ToodleTask - but again: Not happy with it.

What is important: Fresh and clean looking UI (using ICS, Galaxy Nexus), 4x2 widget, offline-using, and for me important: Sorting and display in widget and app compatible to Linenberger's system.
bottomley.cs

Posted: Feb 11, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
Absolutely agree with offline use--my shiny new Nook is on its way here as we speak and I am desperate to find a decent app to get my Toodledo info onto it.
Manual syncing
Some ability to remember views/sorts (this is my number one pet peeve with m.toodledo)
Indented subtasks (I believe some apps don't do this?)
A nice easy-to-read calendar view

My pipe dream is an app--for PC or mobile--that will let me view multiple calendar days as side-by-side columns, like Outlook does.
georgeshank

Posted: Feb 12, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
Thanks for the input!

Clean and crisp is top priority as well as clear representation of subtasks. I also am a heavy user of views and these will definitely be a must.

I am not familiar with the Linenberger's system but am open to future implementation. A widget is also on the back-burner but as features manifest I would like to bring this to the table, even if only a simple version at first.

As with all software these things usually come in iterations. So I can better provide for a user's needs I would like to have the first iteration contain most of the essentials. The road map looks like this right now:

- Syncing
-- Both manual and automatic. (User's choice)
- Task Listing
- Sub task listing
- Tags
- Contexts
- Tasks by date (Today, Tomorrow, Later)
- Hot list
- Views
** And especially graphics **

That's phase 1. After that I hope to gather some feedback and push on with more features.

I would like the ability to choose which categories are displayed according to taste (maybe you don't care about the hotlist, or don't work by dates). Easily customizing your landing screen should definitely be an option.
piyush_soni

Posted: Feb 12, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Along with all these features, a very important thing I'd want from such an app is - it being Free free free!!!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012.
peterpiskun

Posted: Feb 13, 2012
sounds really great!

short explanation to Linenberger's system:
group by priority
sort by start-date
filtering out tasks that have a start date after today

the app must not be free - we are all using smartphones worth a few hundred dollars / euros....so i think a few bucks for a good working app are no problem!
georgeshank

Posted: Feb 14, 2012
@peter.piskun thank you for the breakdown! It turns out this was something I am planning after all, just didn't know there was a name for it.
luckyday1266 Post deleted
ZCMC

Posted: Feb 21, 2012
Goal Support
Bas Grolleman

Posted: Mar 01, 2012
1. Shortcut to "Add Task" I can add to my home screen
2. Speed!! (Mostly for capture)
3. Clean look, preferable to the latest Android Guidelines
4. Background sync

Open Source would be a big plus for me, but would still happily pay for the auto-updated Android Market version regardless.
nathanb131

Posted: Mar 05, 2012
1. Task templates with desktop shortcuts. This is how to balance having a really powerful system without having to pick many different meta-data options just to enter a quick task.
2. 'inbox' for quick un-categorized entry and also shows how many items are in that inbox.

These are about the only things I'd change about Ultimate To Do list. It would be very hard to improve upon that one since it gets so many things right. Though I think Toodledo/UTL is for people to create their own hybrid gtd system. If you are looking to do a more formal gtd app then needs are a little different.
Chris McKay

Posted: Mar 15, 2012
You might want to give Due Today a try as it has most of those features. And, I'd be willing to add in the missing ones as well.
drsuds

Posted: Apr 20, 2012
OH MY GOD. My life has been turmoil since my job blocked google tasks. Stupid google bundling it with their web mail. The other down side to Google is that it IS evil, and likes to crawl your personal stuff. Like tasks and mail.

God bless toodledo though. It's great, it does my indented subtasks as long as I pay a small fee for the year, I can handle that.

But I can't agree more on the apps they have for android. I paid for toodletasks and it can't list the sub-tasks indented or with proper hierarchy.

I wish developers would learn from google's simple but effective design. Click, and type. Tab to indent and make a subtask. Workfowy can do this, but lacks multiple lists / folders / pages + no android app.

*sigh*

This message was edited Apr 20, 2012.
almullaonline

Posted: May 02, 2012
for me

i cant' see my teams workspace
this is important for the sharing feature
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.