ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsSync with MS Project and Outlook

Sync with MS Project and Outlook
andrewjarick

Posted: Jun 11, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Hi there,

I am working on something for me, but wondered if there was any appetite to submit what I am making for greater use.

Background:
Where I work, we are now required to create our software development project plans in MS Project (2003). This doesn't really work for me as I have been using ToodleDo for as long as I can remember. In the past, I have built a tool in Excel that pulls my tasks and from ToodleDo to create Gantt charts to send out with project updates and so forth.

Scope:
As I am now required to do my planning in MS Project exclusively, I intend to build a similar tool for MS Project with some intelligence (hopefully) to facilitate two way synchronization. i.e. The ability to update a task or status on any device, and have my overall plan updated.
As you can't build Add-Ins for MS Project like you can in Excel, it will be the in the form of a MS Project Template which will add a new toolbar and a couple of forms. Unfortunately, as the code will include an API key, I'll need to lock down the modules and forms.

If you feel that this is something that will work for you, or if you want the source code (minus the sensitive stuff), please let me know, and I will provide it.

Regards
rnodern
rn-online.com
Tammy_4

Posted: Jul 22, 2013
I love the idea of developing Gantt charts from toodledo lists. I'd be very interested in seeing this.
Salgud

Posted: Jul 22, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
It astonishes me the number of Project users (admittedly many of them mandated users) who use it as a task manager rather than a project scheduler. This is like using an atomic bomb to remove a tree stump. Project is intended to be used to do Critical Path Method Scheduling and beyond (cost control, resource allocation, etc.), something far more complex and powerful than even a sophisticated tool like TD. I mean no offence whatever to TD, obviously I'm using it myself. Task management does not require CPM scheduling and a good task manager like TD is adequate for this purpose. But engaging people in Project to generate a task list and a Gantt Chart is absurd, at best. Of course, I'm old-school and often forget that in the internet era, it's simply not worth more than 5 minutes of a person's time to learn to learn how to use an advanced tool like Project.
w.m.christensen

Posted: Nov 16, 2013
Can In get that source code for excel? Does it sync with Toodledo? Or just crest the charts?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.