ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
DrLaban

Posted Dec 15, 2008 in: Improvement to Subtasks
Score: 0
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Dec 15, 2008
  • Score: 0
That is the best piece of news I have heard since I started using Toodledo! Finally I don't have to worry about mistakenly clicking the wrong icon and I now have backtracking possibility of older projects! Thank YOU!
DrLaban

Posted Dec 13, 2008 in: Adding Subtasks
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Dec 13, 2008
There actually is an "Add a subtask"-button. If you create a parent task and drag one subtask into it, you can create more subtasks by clicking "Add a subtask" within the parent task. Make sure you expand the parent task so yu see the subtasks by clicking the colorful subtask icon on the parent task. Below your subtask there is a button to add a subtask to the parent task. It's not as elaborate as adding regular tasks, it will not give you the opportunity to add more than one at a time and nothing more than the title of the task can be written, but you could always add additional info afterwards.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2008.
DrLaban

Posted Dec 05, 2008 in: Deleting multiple task at once
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Dec 05, 2008
I actually haven't got a solution for you but it might be a tad easier to do multiple deletions at once. Create a task named "Mass delete", then drag the tasks you'd like to delete, into the "Mass delete" task so they become sub tasks of "Mass delete", then check off the "Mass task" task. Now, if I understood Toodledo correctly, all the sub tasks would be deleted, not leaving a trace except for the "Mass delete" task which now is checked off.
I haven't actually tried it and it's a bit of an exploit that might have undesirable effects. Can't even tell you if it's faster to do it this way, but it is another way of doing it.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Dec 03, 2008
Is there by any chance anyone in here who knows how I can create a toolbar, a field or anything else containing the text stored in for instance "tdcontext" when I create a *new* task in Outlook?
This way, when I create a new task, I can instantly set the context specific info for that task, instead of having to store the task, switch to a view that shows the field "tdcontext" and edit this afterwards.
DrLaban

Posted Dec 02, 2008 in: search not returning all tasks
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2008
Are you using sub tasks within parent tasks? And in this case, did you check off the parent task without lifting out your sub tasks?
In this case, your tasks would be deleted because of the current behaviour of sub tasks and parent tasks.
If you did not do the things above, can you see the tasks when you look in the folder All tasks and make sure you also show recently completed tasks?
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 27, 2008
And by the way, I just happened to do the mistake I was fearing. I just checked a parent task by mistake, which deleted all my subtasks...

This message was edited Nov 27, 2008.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 27, 2008
Alright, I would like the sub tasks to be saved for later reference, as I use them for timers when I bill my clients.
Perhaps this could be a global setting, so people can choose whether to use it or not.
The difference between these settings would be that when I check a parent task, would be that all the sub tasks are checked, instead of getting deleted.

[Edit]
By the way, I'd like to ellaborate as to why I'd like this functionality.
I need it for archiving purposes and to get an overview of a specific task, even when it is checked.
I am studying at a college and it happens every so often that I, or someone else, would like to have the stuff, notes, estimations, comments, etc and by deleting the sub tasks I lose all that information.
Now, since I can move sub tasks out of the parent ones, I can "save" them. The thing here is, I name my tasks based on categories and what they contain, for instance:

- Course name (Parent)
-- Goals (Sub)
-- Task 1 (Sub)
-- Task 2 (Sub)
-- Requirements (Sub)
-- Reference material (Sub)

I add comments and notes on each sub task if required and when I'm done I check them off, one by one. When I'm done with the course, I check of the parent task. Right now the sub tasks gets deleted.
If I were to move the sub tasks out of the parent to save them, I would get alot of generically named tasks that I don't know what they relate to until I open them and read their contents.
This more or less forces me to name the tasks and sub tasks as follows:

- Course name (Parent)
-- Course name - Goals (Sub)
-- Course name - Task 1 (Sub)
-- Course name - Task 2 (Sub)
-- Course name - Requirements (Sub)
-- Course name - Reference material (Sub)

This is to relate them to each other so I don't have to understand their contents each time I want to read up on an old task.

Is there something I can do to improve my method or should I just wait and hope that some sort of archiving functionality of tasks and the sub tasks contained therein is developed and keep on doing what I do?
[/Edit]

This message was edited Nov 27, 2008.
DrLaban

Posted Nov 26, 2008 in: Reset tasks in ToodleDo
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 26, 2008
Posted by a.maclullich:
This might be a stupid question, but could you tell me how I can make completed tasks disappear from the main view? I check the box, but when I go back in later the task is still there and the box is now unchecked!

Thanks.

Also, how can I post new topics on the forum? I can't find a button on the screen to do this.

There is a link "Post new topic" at the bottom of each and every forum except for the "News" forum.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 25, 2008
Alright, this is happening again here. I'll report "live" as I do stuff. I usually notice these problems when the security message stops appearing after a couple of hours.

- Precondition -
* Outlook running
* Toodledo sync running
* Index (zero bared) error is reported in the diagnostics
* key did not validate error is reported in the diagnostics

- Steps -
* Closing sync tool
* Closing Outlook
* Starting Outlook
* Starting sync tool
* Running manual sync

- Results -
* Index (zero bared) error is reported in the diagnostics
* key did not validate error is reported in the diagnostics

[Edit]
The only way I can get the sync tool to work again, is by generating a new unique id and change the password. Changing only the password or id does not help.
[/Edit]

This message was edited Nov 25, 2008.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 25, 2008
Ooops, sorry. The similarities between the sidebar-app and the iGoogle-gadget are stunning. Anyways, the problem with the bread crumbs list is exactly the same as the sidebar one.
The difference is, when you use the iGoogle-gadget, you can use Alt+Left/Right to navigate, but unfortunately not with the sidebar.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 24, 2008
I noticed today that I seem to have either misunderstood something in the handling of sub tasks when checkin of the parent task in which they live.

I tried this out like this:
* Create a task [Parent 1]
* Create another task [Sub 1]
* Make sure Sub 1 is a sub task of Parent 1
* Tick off (green check mark) Parent 1
* Look at the recently ticked off tasks

I cannot find the sub task related to the parent one. The parent task has become a regular task and the sub task has somehow vanished. I've been trying to figure out how to apply a decent filter to find it again but I haven't found anything working yet.
I was thinking that the sub tasks would still be tasks contained in the parent, only they would have been ticked off too (since the parent is ticked off, it is only reasonable to think that the sub tasks would too).
Am I going in the totally wrong direction here?

(By the way, in writing this post I found it quite amusing writing that the tasks get ticked off all the time. They're sensitive to interaction, I guess. ;))
DrLaban

• DrLaban
I'm having this small annoyance with the Sidebar Add-on in FF. Everything is working fine insofar that when I use, for instance, Due-Date -> Today, I can back up with the help of the breadcrumb listing at the top. But when I click any task, the only way I've found til this day is to use Alt+Left to be able to go back one step and get the breadcrumb list back.
When I click a subtask-task, I get a breadcrumb list again, but this time I have it by this kind of list; "Top > Parent > Subtasks" and once again lose the breadcrumb list when I click a subtask.

I'd like to have the breadcrumb list update what I have traversed while going through the depth, no matter where I am.
A couple of examples;
* Top > Due-Date > Today > Parent-task > Subtask
* Top > Context > My Context > Task

For now, I'll of use Alt+Left/Right since I'm used to that way of browsing pages in general.
DrLaban

Posted Nov 24, 2008 in: Firefox Sidebar Timer
  • DrLaban
Is there a way to access the Timer tool in FF's sidebar?
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 20, 2008
I have to agree on this one, nicely done. Very easy to use and useful once you find the button. :)
DrLaban

Posted Nov 20, 2008 in: How to Set Up Reminders?
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 20, 2008
Maybe this will solve it for you, or I don't think it is possible:
http://www.toodledo.com/connections.php

"SMS/Email Reminders

You can get SMS or email reminders at up to 5 different places for tasks that are due in the next few hours. For SMS reminders, please enter the Email to SMS gateway Address provided by your carrier. Only tasks that have a due-date and a due-time will send reminders.

Keep in mind that you are 100% responsible for any fees charged by your carrier for receiving SMS messages. For this reason, you may want to set a daily limit. If you do not want a daily limit, please set it to 999."
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 19, 2008
I'm using version 0.9.9.1 and it happened in 0.9.9.0 too.
It has happened about three times so far.
I would say it is quite rare, but I can't really figure out why it is happening. It has happened both at home and at the university I'm studying.
The last time I got it working I changed both my unique ID and my password. This time it seems as if this does not solve the problem.
I haven't tried using any different networking methods other than my wireless connection. I'll try a wired one and see if anything changes.

[Edit]
I just now changed both my unique ID and password and tried to connect and it worked. I did an attempt before by just changing my unique ID and not my password, but that failed.
[/Edit]

This message was edited Nov 19, 2008.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
SyncApp.exe Error: 0 : Error during synchronization: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list.

I have figured out that this seems to do with authentication failures. I've investigated it by, when the error occurs, going to the Account-tab and try to provide both Account ID and password, then clicking the Test-button, which results in a 'Authentication failed'-dialogue.
Perhaps it would be of some use to print add this to the diagnostics log, so it is a bit easier for the user to figure out what could be wrong.
I'm sure the specific "Index (zero based)"-error could appear because of several more reasons, but this seems to be one of them.

[Edit]
I switched on "Show Traffic" and got a bit further to the truth of the problem. This is probably where it goes bananas:

ToodledoClientLib Information: 0 : ToodleClientLib:sendHttpRequest:Request=[http://www.toodledo.com/api.php?method=getServerInfo;key=xx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

ToodledoClientLib Information: 0 : ToodleClientLib:sendHttpRequest:Response=[<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><error>key did not validate</error>]

I've edited the key out but it's a loooong hexadecimal value. If you want the sepcific value, just tell me and I'll get it to you.
[/Edit]

DrLaban

Posted Nov 19, 2008 in: Notebook
Score: 1
  • DrLaban
  • Score: 1
Is there any way for me to make links between tasks and notes? I am currently using the URL to a specific note and pasting it into a tasks notes, but I feel it would be even more useful if there was some kind of relation built in between them.
The folders you can create when making notes could be connected to folders containging tasks. For instance
* I have a task-folder called "Task management" containing a task "Goal and purpose"
* I also have a notebook-folder called "Task management" containing about 80 lines of text about the goal and purpose
* When I open a task, I have the possibility of linking a notebook to my task and it will by default show the notebooks that have the same folder name as my task-folder

This is just one idea of how it could be used. I haven't found another way of handling notebooks other than pasting the URL yet but if there is one, please share.

DrLaban

Posted Nov 19, 2008 in: Responsible
Score: 2
  • DrLaban
  • Score: 2
I haven't found this field or setting anywhere except for "Reassign" and "Assignor", which requires you to share your tasks.
I'd like to have a "Responsible" field or equivalent, to keep track of who is responsible for a specific task/project/subtask without having to use the Sharing feature.
My friends/coworkers are reluctant to sign up for services they haven't used before and don't feel they need, even though I tell them it's a great tool.
DrLaban

Posted Nov 19, 2008 in: Mark all as read
  • DrLaban
Hi all!

I've been looking around for this function on the forums; how do I mark all threads as read? I had to go through quite a few clicks to get through all of them (seems like it is defaulting to 7 days and then marks them as read?) and it would save some time to just be able to check them all off at once.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next