ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
DrLaban

Posted Nov 18, 2008 in: Sync Contexts to Outlook Categories
Score: 0
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2008
  • Score: 0
Assuming you are using keef's sync tool I'd say that it is possible to sync contexts.
Toodledo has its own Contexts functionality and the sync tool is able to sync these contexts quite well.

Now, if I understand you correctly you're, in Toodledo, dealing with
* Contexts
* Categories

The contexts; for me, are for instance places you are at, say @Computer, @Office
The Categories; for me, indicate projects or logic groups, say "Reinstalling Windows", "Build house"

The way I've set this up is by syncing both contexts and folders and I've mapped them to Outlook by custom views
* Folder (Toodledo) -> Category (Outlook)
* Context (Toodledo) -> tdcontext (custom field in Outlook)

Is this what you're after?
DrLaban

Posted Nov 18, 2008 in: Outlook Client 0.9.9.1 is Available
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2008
Well what do you know, that works quite well! I knew you had a planned thought about how this was supposed to be used in practice.

If possible, a thought on trying to achieve projects and subprojects would be;
[Subject] | [Project] | [Subproject]
Buy pipes | Build house | Plumbing
Buy wrench | Build house | Plumbing
Get nails | Build house | Roofing

This way, it is possible to group by first Project, then Subproject.
By the way, is this possible to achieve today by an Outlook view? I haven't found a final way yet, but the changes to the sync tool is getting there.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008.
DrLaban

Posted Nov 17, 2008 in: Outlook Client 0.9.9.1 is Available
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 17, 2008
And here is another phenomenon that I found. Each (parent) item has at least one child, but I can't really figure out how to bunch them together.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
I've grabbed a screenshot of my tasklist in Outlook to give you a better clue of what I'm experiencing.
I'll try and explain to you what I'm trying to accomplish.
I've groupd my tasks by Categories (that's how my Folders are listed in Toodledo).
Then I group by tdparent, as that's how subtasks relate to categories. Now, as you can see everything is fine and dandy so far, I'm not very concerned about the labeling of the tdparents yet, I'm glad it actually seems to work quite well.
There is one side effect though.
If you look at the Category "Bolaget" you will notice three tdparents. These parents contain one task each. The thing is, in this case these tasks only really belongs to the current category in Toodledo.
If I'm understanding this phenomenon right, Toodledo handles each task as a parent, which means the parent property is transfered as well.
I do not know if it is poosible to adjust this behaviour through the sync tool or if this could be something that Toodledo has to look into.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
Hi keef!

It's nice to see you gave subtasks a shot and I'd like to feedback on it! What I have done in Outlook 2003:

I have made a new Custom view containing the following:

Fields: Subject, Categories, tdparent
Grouped by: Categories, tdparent

This is an example of a result I get:
Categories: MyCategory (4 items)
-tdparent: 7284576 (3 items)
--task 1
--task 2
--task 3
-tdparent: 7283942 (parent) (1 item)
--task 4

This is looking very promising. If there is a way to get the name of the tdparent, it would be even closer to the goal I'm after.

I am a bit short on time at the moment, but when I get online again I'll look into what I can gather from the update and see if I can give you some more feedback on it.

Really great to see that you're willing to help out!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008.
DrLaban

Posted Nov 13, 2008 in: Pro Account Tasks/Subtasks and outlook
Score: 1
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 13, 2008
  • Score: 1
Hmm, would a new custom field be worth looking into? Today the outlook sync is able to connect context by adding a custom field into the task list tables of outlook.
What I'm asking for, to see if you could figure out what I'm getting at, is somehow to be able to group all tasks first by Task, then by Subtask (by, for instance, using a custom field).
Or maybe that's what you're telling me Outlook is unable to do? :)
The GTD plugin from NetCentrics has implemented a couple of custom views and specific GTD fields to handle the way Projects and Subprojects are used and it seems to work quite well, if that's of any help.
DrLaban

• DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 12, 2008
This is not an all together easy question to answer, but if you haven't already done a search for it in this forum (there are alot of answers in here), you can get around the security prompt by using any of the following methods:

http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/security/
http://www.contextmagic.com/express-clickyes/

I have used clickyes but not the security policy method. Clickyes does what it says but I found it a bit annoying that it seems to beswitching applications and other minor stuff when the security prompt appears.
My method is to set the synchronizing time to somewhere around 1+ hours. That way you don't really need the other methods but you still get a fair amount of updates during a day.
DrLaban

Posted Nov 12, 2008 in: Pro Account Tasks/Subtasks and outlook
  • DrLaban
  • Posted: Nov 12, 2008
Knowing this is an old topic I would nevertheless like to second the Subtasks feature. This is actually my only issue with implementing GTD full-on in Outlook along with Toodledo-sync support.
You're doing a great job with this tool, keef, and I'm thrilled to see what more can become of it!

[Edit]Oh, and of course the limit with long notes would be nice to see if it could be solved too. Is this actually possible? Perhaps if the API supports exporting of notes from a specific position in the string and the sync tool could export them as two or more parts and reassemble them? Just a thought.[/Edit]

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3