ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
c.e.perry

Score: 0
Incidently, if you're on Twitter, I'm going to be tweeting some promo codes later today for free copies of Listmaker. Follow me to be notified: @DazeEnd

In the meantime, here are three promo codes just because I know you all appreciate the great tool that the Toodledo developers have given us.

3H7TPM3LJPJR
WAHTHJTRL7KA
H3H36XH9KFTR

These codes can be redeemed in iTunes like a giftcard. (Good only in the US App Store.)
c.e.perry

Posted Sep 18, 2009 in: Action Lists: GTD/Toodledo iPhone app
I'm happy to announce that version 2.0.0 of Action Lists is now available in the App Store. This version is a major update to Action Lists that improves synchronization with Toodledo, streamlines the interface to make data access and entry faster, and includes new features like the ability to email tasks and user selectable sorting of lists.

For more information about Action Lists, please visit its homepage at the Action Lists homepage.

Changes in version 2.0.0
------------------------

- Refactored to comply with iPhone SDK 3.0. (iPhone OS 3.0 or above now required.)

- Major overhaul of syncing with Toodledo. Now, a full sync is done only on start up. As changes are made in Action Lists, those edits are pushed to Toodledo immediately (instead of waiting for another full sync on close). This should fix bug reports of tasks becoming orphaned from their projects/contexts.

- Tasks can now be emailed to others within the app.

- All lists can now be sorted alphabetically, by due date, or manually.

- New optional feature that moves completed tasks to the bottom of lists.

- Overhaul of task entry user interface. Removed lots of "Save" and "Edit" buttons to make task entry faster.

- Added toolbars to all main lists to improve usability and allow for expanded functionality.

- Changed context and project list views to display member counts on red oval (instead of gray) if any members of the context or project are overdue.

- Action Lists now reopens to whatever tab was visible on last close.

- Created option to show badges on the tab bar with task counts for Inbox, Waiting, and Someday lists.

- Made title cell in task detail screen expand to show full title without truncation.

- In Project View, made task rows show the task's status on second line of each row.

- Reduced the number of default tasks in the database.

- Lists automatically refresh after synchronization with Toodledo has completed.

- Many minor bug fixes and interface enhancements.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2009.
c.e.perry

Posted Sep 18, 2009 in: Another iPhone App: Listmaker
Thanks for the kind words Anders. As for suggestions for use, I use it every day to reference random information that I want to keep at hand, but that isn't a todo item. I have my Christmas list that I add to as ideas pop in my mind, music that I want to buy, vacation ideas, and dishes that my wife wants me to make for dinner. As you mentioned, the due date field does also give Listmaker the ability to serve as a super simple task manager.

I'd also like to reiterate your suggestion about a second account. If you plan to use Listmaker in addition to your regular Toodledo client, you will probably want a second (free) account. Listmaker pretty much takes over your folder list in Toodledo. Every folder is assumed to be a list, and will be sync'd as such. So if you use folders for something else (like area of focus or projects) Listmaker will try to sync all that data. In those cases, a separate account is recommended.

Finally, you asked about the limitations on the free Lite version. The lite version will only allow you to create 15 list items, but otherwise it is fully featured.

If anyone wants more information about Listmaker, you can read about its features and look at screenshots at the Listmaker homepage. If you have questions, you can post in the Daze End forums.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2009.
c.e.perry

Listmaker is now available for sale in the app store! If you have any questions, feel free to post in the Daze End forums at http://software.dazeend.org

Here's a quick list of the features:

Listmaker Features
------------------
- Synchronizes over the air with Toodledo. (A second account is recommended so that your list items can be kept separately from your usual to-do's.)

- Minimalist. List items hold a title, due date, and a field for notes -- that's it. All the clutter has been eliminated making it quick to reference the information you need.

- Share entire lists or individual list items by emailing it to another person from within Listmaker.

- Supports sub-lists, and there is no limit on how many levels of sub-lists can be used.

- Landscape mode keyboard available. Or lock Listmaker into portrait mode for more convenient one handed use.

- Individually sort each list alphabetically, by due date, or manually.

- Highlights overdue tasks and lists with eye-catching red labels.
c.e.perry

Posted Sep 09, 2009 in: Who are you?
Great thread idea!

Where do you live?
Fishers, Indiana, USA

What do you do?
I'm a high school math teacher. I also write apps for the iPhone and TiVo, some of which sync with Toodledo.

Where can I find you on the web?
http://software.dazeend.org
Twitter: @DazeEnd
c.e.perry

I'm happy to announce Listmaker, a new iPhone app that synchronizes with Toodledo. Listmaker is a minimalist list making app that synchronizes its lists to Toodledo for online access. Although Listmaker can be used as a simple to do list, it is not meant to be a replacement task manager for all you power users out there. Instead, Listmaker is meant to be a complement to your regular system, tracking all those things that aren't actionable. For instance, you can use Listmaker to create a grocery list, gift list, travel checklist, or a list of books to read -- whatever lists you'd usually jot down on a sticky note. And since it synchronizes with Toodledo, you can access your lists online and share them with others.

I can hear you now, "Why does the iPhone need yet another list app?" Here's why: There are few list apps for the iPhone that combine simplicity with the ability to synchronize data to an online web service. The most popular one is Zenbe Lists, and although it does it's job well, it has some limitations: it offers too limited a selection of data fields, it has limited sorting options, and the online service is a closed ecosystem without the ability to import or export your data.

Listmaker solves these problems. It maintains a certain minimalism that keeps clutter out of the way, but it still offers the features that you need. In Listmaker you can individually sort lists alphabetically, by due date, or manually, and since it syncs to Toodledo, you can take advantage of its great features that allow you to import, export, and share your data. Listmaker also offers a few more data fields that I consider essential, namely a notes field and the ability to create a hierarchy of sub-lists. In short, Listmaker does its best to stay out of your way while offering all the options you need to make sense of your data.

Listmaker isn't yet available in the App Store, but it will be available for $2.99 when it is approved by Apple. A free version called Listmaker Lite (limited to 15 list items) will also be availalble so you can try before you buy. In the meantime, you can get more information about Listmaker and see screenshots at its website: http://software.dazeend.org
c.e.perry

Posted Aug 19, 2009 in: IPhone Apps
Posted by gnorris:
my next favorite is Action Lists, very no-nonsense. it makes sure you get all your tasks labeled properly so they dont get lost in toodledo. i intend to use action lists after the author fixed a sync bug.

Action Lists developer here. Thanks for the kind words about Action Lists. Incidently, version 2.0.0 which should fix the bug you refer has been submitted to Apple. I'm sure it will be approved just as soon as Apple feels like getting around to it. There's a lot of big features in this version. I've been using it for the last couple weeks and it's a big improvement, if I do say so myself. I wasn't planning on announcing anything here until it was approved, but since you brought up, I thought I'd fill everyone it on what was going on.

If anyone wants full details on the features in Action Lists 2.0.0, you can check it out at http://software.dazeend.org/action_lists

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009.
c.e.perry

Posted Jul 28, 2009 in: Action Lists: GTD/Toodledo iPhone app
I don't know what "duct and invisible" means. Can you clarify?

Action Lists does not support subtasks. What it does support is local subprojects. The parent/child relationship between subprojects is not sync'd to Toodledo though. (Projects are sync'd to Toodledo as folders.)

Reference status is also not supported. Look for an announcement in the upcoming weeks about a solution for that problem, though.

Thanks for the complements and suggestions. If you have any other questions or suggestions, you can more reliably contact me on the Action Lists forums at http://software.dazeend.org
c.e.perry

Posted Jun 23, 2009 in: Action Lists: GTD/Toodledo iPhone app
Action Lists version 1.1.0 is now available in the App Store. Version 1.1.0 is a major update including:

- Subproject support with unlimited nesting of subprojects.

- Landscape mode supported, including larger landscape mode keyboard.

- By popular demand, the task limit for Action Lists Lite is increased to 15 tasks to allow for more thorough testing.

- Task lists display the due date of overdue tasks in red for easier identification.

- Show Future Tasks setting is now individually definable for each tab.

- Added option to "gray out" future tasks so that they can be distinguished on sight from current tasks.

- Lots of usability improvements and bug fixes.
c.e.perry

@TheGriff: Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about the model of GTD project as Toodledo folder?

This message was edited Jun 16, 2009.
c.e.perry

Score: 1
Action Lists author here, so keep that in mind as I offer my opinions... In writing Action Lists I spent considerable time with most of the Toodledo syncing iPhone apps to see what was good and what wasn't. In fact, the reason I wrote Action Lists is because I couldn't find an app that did what I wanted despite buying and trying most of the apps out there.

You mentiond GTD. I obviously think that Action Lists is the best GTD solution for the iPhone. It was designed specifically to handle the typical GTD workflow, and to display GTD concepts clearly and easily. Also, for what its worth, Action Lists is still being pretty actively improved. An update is currently in review with Apple. (They've ignored it for the last two weeks, but I'm hopeful that they'll remember me soon. :-) The new version will offer subprojects and landscape mode keyboards, as well as a host of other smaller features.

If you decide that GTD is not for you, I can't recommend highly enough the Toddledo developed iPhone app. It's a really good general purpose app and, let's face it, will always feature the tightest integration with the Toodledo webapp.

I won't speak ill of the other apps you mentioned, other than to say that I found them all lacking in one way or another.

One (slight) correction to Anders' reply above: Action Lists syncs with Toodledo at both start up and closing so that Action Lists and Toodledo are always in sync.

@Anders: Let me know if you ever get around to writing that review and I'll hook you up with a promo code for Action Lists. No strings attached, just give it a fair shake. You can contact me through my website: http://software.dazeend.org

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009.
c.e.perry

Posted Jun 01, 2009 in: Action Lists: GTD/Toodledo iPhone app
@carolynfrancis: I'm glad that you're finding Action Lists so useful. (Don't forget to post a review in the App Store!) And keep an eye out in the upcoming days for an upgrade. I delivered a new version to Apple yesterday, so I would expect it to appear in the App Store by this coming weekend. (But no guarantees -- Apple works to their own schedule.)

The big new features are landscape mode keyboards and support for subprojects, but there's a lot of other smaller features and usability improvements as well. I've already updated the web page in anticipation of this release, so if you want details you can look there. I'll post a full release announcement with details once the new version hits the App Store.

And just to head off the inevitable question: Subprojects in Action Lists are synchronized to Toodledo as folders not sub-tasks, so there is no limit to the number of levels you can have in a subproject hierarchy. At the same time, it also means that the subproject hierarchy is flattened out on the Toodledo side of the synchronization.
c.e.perry

Posted May 14, 2009 in: Action Lists: GTD/Toodledo iPhone app
Score: 1
Action Lists author here.

In general, I pretty much agree with what Anders wrote. Although I understand that comparisons between Action Lists and the Toodledo iPhone app are inevitable, I don't think it's a fair comparison. Toodledo is a very good general purpose app, but Action Lists is a specialized tool. Comparing the two apps is like comparing duct tape to invisible tape. Duct tape has a hundred and one uses, but if you spend most of your time wrapping gifts, you'll probably want the invisible tape on hand even though the duct tape could get the job done. Likewise, the Toodledo app will work well for a lot of people, but if you're one of those people who use the GTD system, I think that you find that Action Lists will prove to be the right tool for the job; making GTD easier, faster, and more efficient to implement.

My goal when I wrote Action Lists was not to be a competitor to the Toodledo App, it was to produce the best GTD implementation in the App Store. Action Lists does one thing and it does it very well. It strips out all of the clutter and presents a clean, easy to use interface that makes it easy to use the GTD system.

I'm not sure if I completely answered your questions, but I think it's at least a start. If you were looking more for a list of technical specs, I'll refer you to the homepage for Action Lists. You should find all the detail you need there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post. I'll do my best to answer.

This message was edited May 14, 2009.
c.e.perry

Posted May 11, 2009 in: Action Lists: GTD/Toodledo iPhone app
Action Lists version 1.0.1 is now available in the App Store. New in version 1.0.1:

* A few bug fixes, including one that prevented synchronization with Toodledo when an Email Login or Password with special characters was used.
* A new checkbox for repeating tasks. This makes it easier to recognize repeating tasks on sight.
c.e.perry

Posted Apr 29, 2009 in: Special Characters in Passwords
Some of my users are having trouble logging into Toodledo via the API when their passwords contain special characters like #, $, !, or +. Is there a trick to transmitting these special characters in the 'getUserid' method? Is there a limitation in the API that doesn't apply to the web version of Toodledo as to which characters you can use? If not, should I percent-escape or not percent-escape them? Any help is appreciated.
c.e.perry

Posted Apr 27, 2009 in: Action Lists: GTD/Toodledo iPhone app
Trying to flesh out your idea a little bit... Suppose that Status=Active was used to indicate these active tasks that weren't yet a "Next Action". When a task was completed, it would look for another task with status=Active, the same context, and the same project to make the new Next Action. Am I describing your suggestion right?

If there were several of these active tasks to choose between, what criteria would the app use to select the one to make Next Action?
c.e.perry

Can you explain your question/suggestion a little more? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Right now you can have multiple tasks set to be a Next Action for a project, if you'd like. It's up to the user to categorize stasks as items for Inbox (equivalent to No Status in Toodledo), Next Action, Someday, or Waiting.
c.e.perry

(Original poster, here. I messed up and posted under the wrong account originally...)

Thanks for the feedback, Anders. You're absolutely right that this app is focused squarely at GTDers. Toodledo already has a general purpose iPhone app; this was meant to fill a niche that I felt hadn't yet been filled.

Subtasks are on my radar for an upcoming version, as are tags. (Not quite sure how I want to handle them yet...) Not sure about the link to Daze End... It works for me.

If anyone has questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to post in the forums at Daze End Software.
c.e.perry

Since there is some significant overlap into this topic, I wanted to point out that I've developed a new iPhone app that syncs to Toodledo and implements a GTD framework. I posted the announcement over in the Third-Party Apps forum over here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/1898/0/action-lists-gtdtoodledo-iphone-app.html

Enjoy!
c.e.perry

Posted Apr 15, 2009 in: Rescheduled tasks created as completed
When I complete a task locally and then sync the edit back to Toodledo with the "reschedule=1" option, Toodledo creates the new rescheduled task in the completed state. Is that right? It seems that a newly created task should be created uncompleted. Here's the API call I'm using (with the key changed):

http://api.toodledo.com/api.php?method=editTask;key=da91a73ce4313d20e4ThisIsAFakeKey;id=16348507;fol der=0;context=0;startdate=2009-04-15;duedate=0000-00-00;completed=1;completedon=2009-04-15;repeat=50 ;rep_advanced=Every 1 day;reschedule=1;status=0
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next