ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
Lance

Posted Jul 10, 2009 in: Goals: How do you use them?
Score: 0
  • Lance
  • Posted: Jul 10, 2009
  • Score: 0
Thanks everyone. And yes, productivity systems for me are like a shiny objects to Dori in Finding Nemo, "Oh look, shiney!" I'm always looking for ways to keep my system as simple as possible. My weakness the process of tweaking my system instead of working it, and getting things done.
Lance

Posted Jul 10, 2009 in: Starting GTD
  • Lance
BigKC: Ok, I think I understood the pen is a prompt much like a string tied around a finger. However, I don't think setting aside time just to capture is efficient (for me). I do a weekly review and if anything comes to mind at that time I capture and process it.

My point is that setting aside time just to 'capture' doesn't work for me. It's kinda like sitting down and telling myself that at this time everyday I'm going stop and think about all the stuff I need to think about. I know it works for some people out there and that's great, just not for me.

Its my experience that if I don't capture it when it bubbles up in my head right then and there, it will fester in my psyche as something I need to act on, but can't quite remember what it was. And usually, the more profound the idea, the more likely it will not come back.

Now I'm not saying I'm good at this, its one of my biggest struggles with GTD. I find it very hard sometimes to shift gears, even for just a few seconds to capture a thought, then go back to the task at hand. But it has made a huge impact when I do.

So if carrying a pen in your hand facilitates this process without interrupting normal workflow, go for it. I do agree, I don't find it impractical at all.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009.
Lance

Posted Jul 10, 2009 in: Starting GTD
  • Lance
Why is having a pen at the ready impractical? Many of us who follow the TAO of GTD have some sort of 'capture device' always at the ready. It can be electronical (iPhone, voice recorder, Palm, etc.) or a notepad. I always have a Moleskine notepad with me or my iPhone and use Jott.

In my experience using GTD since its hardcover debut, the hardest part is capturing. We have a tendency to think that whatever comes to mind, we will remember it later. Our brains more often than not just don't work that way. We think about work projects while mowing the lawn, think about home projects in the middle of meetings that are far too long than necessary, etc. And if your capture device is right there, all the better!

Having a pen in your hand is the path to least resistance. I wouldn't stop.

Lance
Lance

Posted Jun 25, 2009 in: Goals: How do you use them?
Score: 7
  • Lance
  • Posted: Jun 25, 2009
  • Score: 7
I use goals considerably in just about everything I do. Some are much codified, in writing with Smart, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic & Timely details specifed. Others are not that thought out and still need some noodleing to flesh out the particulars.

All this is within the confines of a fairly strict use of the GTD system. However, with goals and areas of focus, I tend to blur the lines a little. Covey is right in that we need to define what is urgent and what is important. Allen is also correct in that we must engage with our system on a regular basis. Goals help me keep what's important in front of me, on a daily basis without being intrusive.

Because I do a weekly review every 6-9 days, I'm engaged with my system. Therefore I refuse to use a priority ranking system or a computerized ranking algorithm (Lifebalance – been there, done that, no likey) to tell me what's important. Sometimes life (your boss, spouse, kids) throws a curve ball at you and you're just not going to get to that "1A" priority item on your list today. And I don't need nor want to struggle with prioritizing my lists which, by proxy, prioritizes my goals tied to those lists. That's what God gave me a brain and intuition for. Learn to trust your intuition or inner voice, and it will serve you well.

So for some specifics from someone with ADD.

As short term or 30k foot goals I have taken the major headings of my performance standards and critical elements and formulated them as goals. These are tied to medium or 40k foot goal of achieving the next higher paygrade. So when my boss assigns me various projects or work comes up, I can see if it really belongs in my lane or not. If not, I'm a team player. If so, I'm doing my job and can show it. Makes my review easier, helps me keep my resume up to date, and I feel as though I'm accomplishing something instead of just pulling leavers.

I have personal short term goals such as gaining a certification in the next few months that are also tied to longer term professional goals of the next higher paygrade.

And I have personal long term goals of becoming completely debt free (house, car, everything!) in 15 years that are tied to both personal and professional short term goals.

I do not assign a goal to every task, but more often than not I do assign a goal to most projects. My system is fairly simple: Personal folder for personal projects, Work folder for work projects, Someday/Maybe folder. Projects are projects and sub tasks are the various actions for that project, all with an assigned context (home, office, phone, laptop, errands, etc.). Nothing complicated.

A little more than I intended to write, but that's my goal system, your mileage may and probably will differ.

Lance
Lance

Posted Apr 24, 2009 in: Keyboard Shortcuts
Score: 1
  • Lance
  • Posted: Apr 24, 2009
  • Score: 1
Would love a shortcut to enter subtasks! When I start to data dump everything in my had for a particular project, I don't want to have to use the mouse.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3