ForumsNewsFile Attachments Upgrade (Dropbox, Outlines, Notes, ...)

File Attachments Upgrade (Dropbox, Outlines, Notes, ...)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 01, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Hot on the heels of our Outline Announcement from two weeks ago, today we area releasing a way to connect those outlines to your tasks. In this way, you can easily create an outline for a task and use it to organize the project or take hierarchical notes. We also took this opportunity to rewrite our File Attachment feature to add support for Dropbox, Google Drive, Gmail, and more. And we've also fixed some outstanding bugs. Here is a summary of what has changed for the attachment feature.

+ In addition to Files, you can now attach Outlines and Note Pages to any task.

+ When picking a file to upload to Toodledo, you can now choose to select a file directly from your Dropbox, Facebook, Flickr, Google Drive, Gmail or FTP account.

+ If you have a webcam, you can record and attach a picture or video to any task. This is a great way to record an idea or snapshot of something you need to remember.

+ You can now have multiple files with the same name. Uploading a file with the same name as an existing file will no longer replace it.

+ To replace a file, there is now a new button to accomplish this. Just upload the replacement file and it will replace the old file across all your tasks, and it will replace it for collaborators that are sharing those tasks too.

+ Non-english characters in file names will work correctly now.

+ The maximum file size has been increased to 25MB.

To access these new feature, please click the attachment icon (available to Pro Plus Subscribers) and then select which Outline, Note or File you want to attach.

We use a service called "Ink FilePicker" to help with some of this new file attachment functionality. It is a great service which allows us to easily integrate with many different 3rd party services. Some functionality (ie. webcam) may be dependent on your computer's and browser's capabilities.
vivendom.budget

THANK YOU JAKE.

AMAZING STEP.

CONGRATULATIONS !
david.askew

Score: -1 Reference
So a PRO subscriber can create outlines but not attach/associate them to a todo? That kinda stinks. I don't really need full on attachement capabilities and the extra expense for just outlines seems excessive.

This message was edited Jul 01, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you don't want to purchase a Plus subscription but still want to link an outline to a task, you can copy and paste the Outline's URL into the note of the task.
danrock

i have lots of files uploaded to my toodledo account, uploading a new file now takes FOREVER due to (im assuming) toodledo pulling up every file ever uploaded.

if i delete old files will this speed up? also, is there a way to mass delete files? as i said i have lots of files on my account and deleting them 1 by 1 takes FOREVER!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Can you please create a support ticket for this so that we can look into your account and see what the problem is?

Thanks
david.askew

Posted by Jake:
If you don't want to purchase a Plus subscription but still want to link an outline to a task, you can copy and paste the Outline's URL into the note of the task.

fair point
Dr George Brown

Posted: Jul 02, 2013
I have attached a number of tasks to an outline, but the outline view does not show these tasks? Can anyone advise why this might be the case?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
It doesn't work in that direction. Outlines are attached to tasks, not tasks attached to outlines. We are thinking about how to implement the other direction.
Jason Bushell

As Outlines tend to cover a broader range of tasks, and may actually encompass a whole project, it seems to me more relevant to link a task to a node in the Outline rather than a task to an entire outline.

Unless that task is "complete the entire outline" im not sure how the functionality will help.

Anyway... developments are always welcomed, so thank you.
shelbyp

Posted: Jul 03, 2013
Posted by Jason Bushell:
... it seems to me more relevant to link a task to a node in the Outline rather than a task to an entire outline.

Unless that task is "complete the entire outline" im not sure how the functionality will help.

I agree, and actually I would go further. i am interested in the case of a repeating task with an outline to enforce a sequence which can be ticked off (this models many situations).

for me there is a conceptual "bug" with the implementation. When the task repeats, it repeats with the outline in its current state. I really need the outline in its initial unticked stated.

This for me is the standard use case when I have a repeating task. This should definitely be an option an arguably the default. It seems to be that when a task repeats it is created anew with the state "incomplete", so why would attached outline remain in its ticked off state???

The same is currently true with repeated tasks which have subtasks. The subtasks which are marked as complete do not get reset when the parent task is repeated.

I was actually hoping the outlines could fill this gap, but it appears that the same limitation exists here.

I would actually happily upgrade to the full account (currently pro) to have the link between task/outline, but in the absence of proper support for the repeating behaviour this is hard for me to justify. I would currently have to create an outline template, clone it, rename it, and then re-attach.

It would really be nice if the option was also added for repeating tasks with subtasks. the current behaviour is really not intuitive, and forces us to use the template workaround, when a clean solution would be available if the task/subtask combination could repeat itself (optionally) with all task states reset to incomplete.
martingchapman

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Jake:

Also, you can use the Bookmarklet to easily create a task from the Outline.

However, in common with other comments on the Outline feature I would find it much more useful to link an Outline node to a task.
In this way I could create an Outline for a Project, with all the required actions clearly listed and indented as necessary, and then have the Projects "Next Action" node(s) link to real task(s) with start/due dates, contexts etc.
When a task (action) is completed and I tick it off, it should also tick off the Outline node.
When I review my Projects I go back to the Outline, decide the next "Next Action(s)" and link these to task(s).
Keep doing this until all Outline nodes are ticked off and the Project is completed.

I think this would make Outlines really powerful because you could easily define all the actions for a Project with unlimited levels of indenting in an Outline, the whole Project (Outline) would be clearly and easily visible and you could assign "Next Actions" as appropriate.
Only the "Next Actions" will appear on your task lists, keeping them clean but making it easy to see what needs to be done next.

Martin.
Ann M

I was wondering what the timeframe was for having outlines accessible in the Iphone app? I am desperate for it.
Paula_99

Thank you for this update! I've been using a separate program for quick hit outlines. Now, I don't have to AND I can link them to my tasks!

For those who are complaining about Tasks not linking back to Outlines, I think what you really want is a better Sub-task management system. Outlines are meant to be very high-level, brainstorming/brain dump style tools. Once you attach all the other parameters, it's really a task.

What would be cool is to be able to convert an outline to a Task with Sub-tasks. It's like going from draft to published mode. I know the multiple hierarchy get tricky, but for me personally, that would be much more useful.
shelbyp

Posted: Jul 04, 2013
Posted by Paula_99:

For those who are complaining about Tasks not linking back to Outlines, I think what you really want is a better Sub-task management system. Outlines are meant to be very high-level, brainstorming/brain dump style tools. Once you attach all the other parameters, it's really a task.

I used to be one of the people who would vote for a full subtask hierarchy, honestly, I will no longer be requesting this. Outlines kick butt for modelling subtasks efficiently. The whole point for me is that as I move into these sub-sub-sub tasks, I no longer need the full capability of whole task, and I don't want to set all the fields. Outlines perform this quickly and intuitively...

I am also looking forward to IOS support, one thing I noticed is that I don't see how the workaround of copying the link to an outline in the notes can ever give proper IOS support for the NON Pro Plus user, ( I am Pro only).
dictation

Posted: Jul 05, 2013
I am struggling with this new update and attaching files to subtasks. It used to be a very smooth and quick process but now it's long and tedious and the boxes disappear frequently if I even touch the mouse. What used to take 10 seconds to upload is upwards of 2 minutes now. Are there any plans to change this? I've been a pro plus subscriber for several years, but this is ridiculous now....I may need to find another program.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 06, 2013
Can you please create a support ticket for this so that we can look into your account and see what the problem is?

Thanks
sprouty76

Posted: Jul 08, 2013
Hmm. While I like the outlines functionality and was looking forward to being able to link tasks and outlines, I don't recall anybody saying at any point that it would only be available to Pro Plus subscribers.

Also, like others have said, I was under the impression nodes would be linked to tasks rather than the other way around.
Jason Bushell

Posted: Jul 10, 2013
Us Pro-Plus Subscribers need more perks to be honest! :)

With other solutions for web-storage out there, i'm really only a Pro-Plus subscriber at the moment to help out the site. Not for any functionality.
shelbyp

Posted: Jul 10, 2013
not sure if this is on your todolist, but it would be really nice to add some more shortcut keys to the outline section.

In particular:
something like Ctrl-j,Ctrl-k to move the currently selected item up or down would be very, very helpful.

It is quite clumsy to use the mouse for this since I find it is really not so easy to correctly position the item (on chrome) so that it goes where I would like it to move to, also would be much faster.

This would also allow us to perform most manipulations with the keyboard.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.