ForumsNewsUpdates to due dates and start dates

Updates to due dates and start dates
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 16, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
You have to allow midnight to pass naturally for the task that you want to move forward. If you artificially change your timezone so that the task is now older than midnight, it really confuses Toodledo about when that task is actually due.
zhava

Posted: Apr 16, 2009
Same thing happened to me, and I did allow till midnight and the repeating tasks still did not move forward when I had the date as ?04/16/2009. Thanks for all your help!
DavidSzp

Posted: Apr 17, 2009
So far I'm overall liking most of the stuff with the new datetime controls, but I'm running into a few workflow issues. For one, in Chrome 1.0.154.43 (current) and Firefox 3.0.8 both, when I add a new task (start and end date and time enabled), I generally tab through the fields to set them all. However, after I've tabbed past date and time, it closes the field properly but I can never Shift+Tab to a prior field. I can back up with Shift+Tab to the date field but I can never cycle back to the prior field. I use this all the time to adjust fields by Tabbing/Shift+Tabbing back and forth through all the fields in a new task and it's frustrating to get "stuck."

On a more minor note, the quick picks make things faster and more logical within each task, but I used to click once on the due date or click on a new date with the mouse, and move on to the next. The amount of mousework required to move off the control just to close it and get to the date for a task underneath is slowing me down a lot where I'm trying to go down the list and quickly update a whole bunch of items in a row with new dates. My first issue is the biggest however.

Like I said overall I like the concept of the new controls and (and 24-hour time!) and I'm looking forward to your tweaks, I know it's brand new! Also if you can get it to recognize "tom" as short for "tomorrow" it would save my fingers some needless typing :-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the bug report on tabbing through fields. We are working on getting shift+tab to work as well as some other tweaks to keyboard navigation to make it faster.
Anders

Some more hotkey options would be nice. Maybe assign a key(numbers?)to each field when editing or creating a task.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
"tom" for tomorrow and "tod" for today will work now.
jquark

I am a newcomer to Toodledo (just about two weeks from now) and a convert from Remember the Milk. This thread simply blows me away. Thank you Toodledo for working to improve your product and LISTENING to your costumers- something RTM simply doesn't do. It's amazing when a company realizes its costumers are an asset. You have developed an actual rapport with your costumer base that has proven to be mutually beneficial. It's updates and responses like these that show you take pride in your work and are hard working. In short, thank you. I am a grad student and need to wait until next month to afford a Pro account (even though it a very small fee). Rest assured, I and many others are willing to pay money for a company that cares about the functionality of its product and genuinely listens to its costumers. Cheers!
wjlynch

I used to be able to breeze through updating my task dates, but now needing to "mouse off" each time I change a date is driving me a little bonkers. Hope to see this adjusted soon.

Thanks for the great product.
Anders

Posted by wjlynch:
I used to be able to breeze through updating my task dates, but now needing to "mouse off" each time I change a date is driving me a little bonkers. Hope to see this adjusted soon.

Thanks for the great product.

Could someone explain to me what the issue is here. Tabbing seems to work fine for me although I usually just hit enter. Is it a browser thing?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Here is how I understand it. There are two types of people. Mouse people and Keyboard people.

The keyboard people can use tab or return to save the date. There has been a request for shift-tab to move backwards. There was also a request to make the add-task form not lose keyboard focus when pressing return on a date. We plan to fix both of these issues. Otherwise, keyboard people are pretty happy.

The mouse people are a little bothered that they have to move the mouse all the way outside of the date picker box for it to go away and save the results. If you exclusively use a mouse, editing dates is slower now. The solution that we are prototyping is to support double clicking on a date to instantly set it and make the date box go away.

We hope to have all these tweaks accomplished sometime over the weekend, assuming nothing else comes up.
Anders

You guys are really on top of things. I wish I similar progress were taking place on my to do list:)

And thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense. I used to be a pretty mouse-oriented person, but I am now mostly on a netbook, and the tiny trackpad has driven me the other way.
Alan

TOODLEDO:

As a convert from RTM, who actively encourages disgruntled RTM users to move over here, I want to thank you for your hard work and dedication to your customers. This product, so highly underrated, just continues to improve, and I hope that the work you are putting in is bringing new business and encouraging investment allowing you to bring even more enhancments our way.

And what is your first name, by the way? I hate calling you "Toodledo".
Anders

Posted by Alan:
And what is your first name, by the way? I hate calling you "Toodledo".

I actually like communicating with an entity. I imagine Toodledo as an advanced artificial intelligence that had so many ideas it had to build itself the most powerful to do list in the universe, and then decided to open it up to the public.
Alan

BTW, this feature is a really great way to go back to your task list and "schedule" tasks, and then have them show up on your Google calendar. Often, I find I have to block time for key tasks otherwise they will get lost in the daily meeting shuffle. Having this option makes it easy to plan a day and see it on the calendar.
cj

Posted: Apr 18, 2009
Posted by Alan:
BTW, this feature is a really great way to go back to your task list and "schedule" tasks, and then have them show up on your Google calendar. Often, I find I have to block time for key tasks otherwise they will get lost in the daily meeting shuffle. Having this option makes it easy to plan a day and see it on the calendar.

Am I the only person not to see the tasks show up on my calender? (I have it installed, but, like before this update, toodledo shows up as a little check icon each day on my google calender - and when I click I see the toodledo widget box with my tasks). Apparently everyone here is seeing what I was hoping to see - tasks with start-end times right on the calender in the appropriate slot. What am I doing wrong?
Anders

Posted by cj:
Posted by Alan:

Am I the only person not to see the tasks show up on my calender? (I have it installed, but, like before this update, toodledo shows up as a little check icon each day on my google calender - and when I click I see the toodledo widget box with my tasks). Apparently everyone here is seeing what I was hoping to see - tasks with start-end times right on the calender in the appropriate slot. What am I doing wrong?

There are two different options offered by Toodledo to integrate with google calendar. The gadget is what you have set up, but the iCal feed is what you want. You can enable it, and get the URL to add it to google calendar here: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_ical.php
cj

Posted by Anders:
Posted by cj:
Posted by Alan:

There are two different options offered by Toodledo to integrate with google calendar. The gadget is what you have set up, but the iCal feed is what you want. You can enable it, and get the URL to add it to google calendar here: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_ical.php

Thanks.

I got it to "work" but it seems to list everything (goals too) to the point where it is unreadable ... lots of blank lines too. I hope with some tweaking I can get this to be usable, but it would have been nice if this worked out of the box (and without requiring me to make all my tasks public.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2009.
Anders

Posted by cj:
I got it to "work" but it seems to list everything (goals too) to the point where it is unreadable ... lots of blank lines too. I hope with some tweaking I can get this to be usable, but it would have been nice if this worked out of the box (and without requiring me to make all my tasks public.

Hmmm... This is very different from my experience. I haven't started using goals yet, but still, all I see on Google calendar is the task name, due date, due time if it has one, and the notes field which goes into description on the calendar. Which option from that page I linked did you choose. From what you are describing, I am wondering if you did the iCal task export, or the todos only option. I have not used either of them, but you can just use the iCal google calendar feed, and you should get tasks with due dates as all day tasks, tasks with due date&time as zero-length events, and tasks with start&due time (or one of those and length)as regular events. If you did use the google calendar option, I don't know why your results are so different from mine. Good luck.

eclvvin

Toodledo is on the verge of being the ultimate and only Time Management took you need with this recent improvement. Thank you sooooo much.

The next step is to make Toodledo able to offer time sensitive to-dos/appointments in several calendar views (starting with the present Month view). This will simplify user management of projects by offering one place where we have a snapshot or our time so that we can organize our work around it. It would be nice if you can setup webdav compatible alarms for system based notifications. Of course, automatic email remainders/alarms is a must for working with the iPhone.

P.S. - Please start generating some revenue for yourselves with a small single ad space at the bottom of the left column navigation bar (see Evernote). I'd really like the ad to be based on the information in my tasks, so that it is more likely to be something I am interested in. I trust you will protect my privacy only making unorganized vocabulary in my data available to be used in this way.

DavidSzp

Posted by Toodledo:
Here is how I understand it. There are two types of people. Mouse people and Keyboard people.

The keyboard people can use tab or return to save the date. There has been a request for shift-tab to move backwards. There was also a request to make the add-task form not lose keyboard focus when pressing return on a date. We plan to fix both of these issues. Otherwise, keyboard people are pretty happy.

The mouse people are a little bothered that they have to move the mouse all the way outside of the date picker box for it to go away and save the results. If you exclusively use a mouse, editing dates is slower now. The solution that we are prototyping is to support double clicking on a date to instantly set it and make the date box go away.

I use both mouse and keyboard extensively, and I think you've addressed both better than I could have said myself (although I tried). You obviously heard correctly! I just noticed the lack of Shift-Tab ability tonight and came here to see it was on the list.

Also, when I click a date, I'd like the date to be highlighted in the edit box so I can type over it, right now I have to (in Chrome) highlight the date with keyboard or mouse to change it by typing. This pushes me toward using the mouse to select from the calendar or quick links for speed, but I'd like the option of either being equally as handy!

Keep up the good work Jake (for the person wondering who was behind Toodledo--it's already around the forums here already if you look hard enough (if I recall correctly)) so I don't feel I'm revealing a secret :-)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.