ForumsNewsToodledo Tasks redesign ready for public beta testing

Toodledo Tasks redesign ready for public beta testing
jamezzz

Posted: Nov 17, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
I'm liking the look and feel of the beta. Just a couple of things to note (using Google Chrome v54.0.2840.99):

1) Took me a while to discover how to enter tasks using Add New Task (N) without reaching for the mouse. I found I could easily tab between the fields (I like them stacked like that), but couldn't figure out how begin editing them just using the keyboard. FINALLY, figured out if you hit the space bar you can then edit the highlighted field. Wasn't obvious, but it works well once you figure it out. Perhaps that will be covered in the help or maybe hitting any key should begin editing the highlighted field when in the Add New Task sidebar.

2) Would be nice if the up/down arrow keys would scroll the list up or down as needed to get to task off the top/bottom of screen.

3) As mentioned in previous post, Quick Add Task shortcut key is not working.

4) The shortcuts in Quick Add Tasks using the / seems to get confused easily in beta. I can't seem to add multiple labels such as "Test /label1 /label2". It seems once I've entered a label the next label name I try and use tries to bring up something else like a goal or folder. Also, it seems to get confused if I backspace to make a correction and gets to the point where it won't show me any options when typing a '/'. At that point I have to exit the Quick Add Task and start over.

Things I am liking:
* The icons all moved to the left. I used to hate scrolling over to find the trashcan icon to delete a task
* Doing a Find (F) seems much cleaner
* Liking the Calendar control in the Date View
* Priority column looks cleaner

Looking great! Thanks for all the hard work!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2016.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 17, 2016
Yes, that is still on our todo list.
cspence

Posted: Dec 04, 2016
One change in the beta version that I have found to take more steps is the automatic update to the task when changing a field.
In the previous version, you could make multiple edits to the same task before it was saved. (may have to do with the browser refresh, but previously did not refresh until everything was done)

For example, if you forward an email to Toodledo, there are often a variety of fields to update. In the current version, as soon as you make any type of update (folder, context, etc.), the task updates and it will often disappear from your current viewing. You then need to go find it again to make the rest of the updates. (e.g. assign a folder - it instantly goes to that folder and disappears from the unassigned folder. Same for context).

I can probably do a work around, by being careful about the order in which I update fields. However, this seems to take more work. It was helpful to have updates applied at the end of the record update, rather than instantly and having the record disappear to the new location.

This message was edited Dec 04, 2016.
FHE-IV

Posted: Dec 04, 2016
Posted by cspence:
[quote]One change in the beta version that I have found to take more steps is the automatic update to the task when changing a field.
In the previous version, you could make multiple edits to the same task before it was saved. (may have to do with the browser refresh, but previously did not refresh until everything was done)

For example, if you forward an email to Toodledo, there are often a variety of fields to update. In the current version, as soon as you make any type of update (folder, context, etc.), the task updates and it will often disappear from your current viewing. You then need to go find it again to make the rest of the updates. (e.g. assign a folder - it instantly goes to that folder and disappears from the unassigned folder. Same for context).

Respectfully, if this is true (I am not a beta tester) I would tend to agree. Thank you for all of the hard work that everyone is doing!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 05, 2016
This is not how it should be working, and I could not reproduce this. Can you please give me an example of an edit you make to a task that makes it disappear from the list without your refreshing the list?

This message was edited Dec 05, 2016.
cspence

Posted: Dec 07, 2016
For an example - send a task by email

Now go to the folder view and it will be in the unassigned folder

Begin t make updates by changing to an assigned folder. The task will immediately disappear and go to the new location before you can update any of the other fields
Olivir2015

I can confirm cspence's beta finding on IE 11 - being in No Folder view, as soon as I assign a folder in grid view to the task, the task dissappears. However, when I then go to the folder view and assign either the No Folder value or another folder, the task is dimmed, but does NOT dissappear. So I think, the problém is with just No Folder view...

This message was edited Dec 07, 2016.
cspence

I was using chrome, so appears to affect multiple browsers
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Ok, I found it. It only happened when you were in the "no folder/context/goal/location" list. It will be fixed by end of day. Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are very close. All of the major bugs have been fixed and we have a very short list of minor bugs (that we know about).

If you are a beta tester (or want to become one to check it out) please go visit our Tasks beta once more and let us know if you find any lingering bugs that we don't yet know about.
matanln

I am having less than satisfactory performance on the beta version.
Profiling indicates the source as elemData.handle, but could also be the result of excessive console logging...

This message was edited Dec 07, 2016.
MM1772

Score: 2 Reference
Just finished a quick look and reported two anomalies. (I don't want to call them bugs because they might be user error :) )

On first look, I'm not loving the calendar on the left as much as I like the current one. It's too big and it's hard for me to tell quickly where one month ends and the other begins when there are tasks for that day. For example, I had 14 tasks on December 1 and the 14 almost hides the Dec. The slight difference in shading does help a bit, but it took a little playing with it to train my eyes for that. (It could just be my monitor that makes it hard to differentiate months.)

I can see how it could be useful to see the exact number of tasks for a day so that you don't overbook, but I rarely needed to know the exact number; usually just seeing more than a couple of dots clued me in on the fact that that was a busy day.

I will admit that now it's much easier to go ahead more than a month or two.

I'm sure I'll get used to the largeness of the calendar section, too.

Good work!
jamezzz

Posted by jamezzz:
I'm liking the look and feel of the beta. Just a couple of things to note (using Google Chrome v54.0.2840.99):

1) Took me a while to discover how to enter tasks using Add New Task (N) without reaching for the mouse. I found I could easily tab between the fields (I like them stacked like that), but couldn't figure out how begin editing them just using the keyboard. FINALLY, figured out if you hit the space bar you can then edit the highlighted field. Wasn't obvious, but it works well once you figure it out. Perhaps that will be covered in the help or maybe hitting any key should begin editing the highlighted field when in the Add New Task sidebar.

2) Would be nice if the up/down arrow keys would scroll the list up or down as needed to get to task off the top/bottom of screen.

3) As mentioned in previous post, Quick Add Task shortcut key is not working.

4) The shortcuts in Quick Add Tasks using the / seems to get confused easily in beta. I can't seem to add multiple labels such as "Test /label1 /label2". It seems once I've entered a label the next label name I try and use tries to bring up something else like a goal or folder. Also, it seems to get confused if I backspace to make a correction and gets to the point where it won't show me any options when typing a '/'. At that point I have to exit the Quick Add Task and start over.

Things I am liking:
* The icons all moved to the left. I used to hate scrolling over to find the trashcan icon to delete a task
* Doing a Find (F) seems much cleaner
* Liking the Calendar control in the Date View
* Priority column looks cleaner

Looking great! Thanks for all the hard work!

Still seeing the issues regarding the tags described above. This is a must have for the Quick Add to be useful to me. Or maybe I'm just missing how to add multiple tags via Quick Add.

Also, really not liking how the Date pop up operates in the web app. I'd like to hit due date, select "Today" or "Tomorrow" and have that dismiss this dialog or pop up automatically. Or at least be able to hit enter to dismiss. As is I end up clicking somewhere else in the app or hitting ESC which isn't really intuitive.
Adrien Beau

Posted: Dec 08, 2016
Posted by MM1772:
On first look, I'm not loving the calendar on the left as much as I like the current one. It's too big and it's hard for me to tell quickly where one month ends and the other begins when there are tasks for that day. For example, I had 14 tasks on December 1 and the 14 almost hides the Dec. The slight difference in shading does help a bit, but it took a little playing with it to train my eyes for that. (It could just be my monitor that makes it hard to differentiate months.)

I'll second everything you said. I like everything else that has been done in the redesign (and it is so much more snappy, that's great), but the calendar design is a significant issue to me. I use the current one quite a lot, and find that the new one is a step back.
Don Goncalves

Spacing is more dense than previous version -- too dense. Is there an option to be more Comfortable than Compact (to use Google calendar terms)?

This message was edited Dec 09, 2016.
gwpruitt

Score: 1 Reference
Agree on the calendar being way too big...
pawelkaleta

Each time I pick a date from any date selector (e.g. for Start Date or Due Date etc.) I need to wait for 2-3 seconds until selector disappear and date is set for task. It is pretty anoying and it doesn't work like this in non-newbeta layout where it happens immadiately after clicking on given date.

Does any of you experience the same issue?
pawelkaleta

One thing I'd like to suggest for new layout is to keep the Ribbon hidden if the user has hidden it by clicking proper icon. At this moment, the Ribbon re-appears each time you switch view from e.g. Folders to e.g. Contexts and stays visible, so you need to hide the Ribbon again and again. It should re-appears only after user hits the proper icon.
ishayahu

By me, a new layout works VERY slowly. Much more slowly as old one. And old "add multiple tasks" was more comfortable, as new one

Posted by pawelkaleta:
Each time I pick a date from any date selector (e.g. for Start Date or Due Date etc.) I need to wait for 2-3 seconds until selector disappear and date is set for task. It is pretty anoying and it doesn't work like this in non-newbeta layout where it happens immadiately after clicking on given date.

Does any of you experience the same issue?

I have the same problem

This message was edited Dec 08, 2016.
Don Goncalves Post deleted
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.