ForumsNewsToodledo Update #1

Toodledo Update #1
martin.prock

Posted: Aug 02, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
Hi Sam,

thanks for the transparent info! I love the product and use it every single day! I am sure the new look will be great! The one wish I would have is the possibility to move tasks in blocks, so I can select e.g. 5 tasks due for today and then schedule them for tomorrow - all at once. Currently I have to move the dates of one by one ...

This function would be great for me (and for anybody suffering a little bit of procrastination :)

Keep on going!
Greetings, Martin

This message was edited Aug 02, 2018.
justinhappy

Posted: Aug 03, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by boydston01:
Posted by justinhappy:
Who is going to subsidize all these free loaders for their year at Toodledo? You can find many crappy alternatives and they even offer free for 30 days. .. toodi..., asa..

What I am suggesting is to move "free loaders" to paying customers. Right now, people can "free load" forever. I am saying let them free load for only one year which is much, much shorter than forever.

There's got to be a selling point, though. Have you seen some of the slick new competition like TickTick ? And Microsoft ToDo is slowly but surely maturing into a pretty powerful system, once they get a Master list functionality they would have to be taken seriously.

If you want to force people to sign up, you need to offer value. I have a sneaky suspicion that the majority of Toodledo customers are long term seasoned users, with relatively little fresh blood. I may be wrong.

The service with all it's powerful functionality is somewhat clunky, with an outdated web interface, requires much effort to set up for efficient use, has barely adequate mobile clients, and no native way to sync with desktop. It does offer a somewhat too generous free plan, but there's a lot of competition out there for subscriptions. If I was a new potential user, how would you persuade me to chose Toodledo over it's competition ?

Hi Ummagumma,
#1/#2 - I agree with you that there has to be attraction for new users. But, I am speaking from my viewpoint that I am prepared to shift to excel and other crappy alternatives if I feel that I am subsidizing all these free loaders. The incoming investors can do that, but not me.

#3 - Frankly, I have spent 48 hours last weekend looking, testing alternatives. The closest I have stopped, is at the payment page, because they are charging me min US $800 a year. The rest are craps. - As.., Todo..., Wri.. ...
So now, here I am, removing data out from toodledo into my own local files as Toodledo is not encrypted at rest.
What did you find that is a good subsitute for Toodledo?
justinhappy

Posted by Ummagumma:
Having used 2Do as my main go-to task manager for the past year or so, I really think they should ... erghm... "emulate" it the best they can.

It has the best way to focus on the work at hand without losing track of future tasks, and by this I mean very intuitive, customizable, and easy to use.

Toodledo accomplishes much of the same (not all, alas) by being somewhat customizable, not too intuitive, and not too easy to use.

Unfortunately there's enough syncing idiosyncrasies between the two, that I have to sync 2Do with Reminders instead of Toodledo.

I do hope that the new owners take time to look at 2Do and appreciate just how close it is to the Toodledo yet so much easier to use for advance task scheduling... with 2Do being a mobile / Mac OS app and Toodledo being primarily a web based service, they are pretty much made for each other.

Hi Ummagumma,
2Do looks good. Why dont you just use it instead of toodledo? What is the issue of 2Do?
I would use this if I feel secure about my data and the founders. Now I dont, looking at the website.
Olivir2018

Posted by justinhappy:
I would use this if I feel secure about my data and the founders. Now I dont, looking at the website.

Is your decission to leave Toodledo based on more info than just this sentence from Privacy Policy: "This website uses encryption when sending or receiving information so that it is protect in transit. This website uses encryption to store some (but not all) of your data while it is at rest in our database."? Like reaction from DPO, what actual data is not encrypted at rest? Just asking.
Ummagumma

Posted by justinhappy:

Hi Ummagumma,
2Do looks good. Why dont you just use it instead of toodledo? What is the issue of 2Do?

2Do doesn’t have a web service, it’s an app. And it’s only available on iOS, Android and Mac OS. Since I use Windows, I need some way to access my tasks on it.

2Do does sync with Toodledo but, as I said, it’s not perfect. My biggest issues are that there’s no background sync, and no task reminder sync. So, at the present time, I use 2Do with iOS Reminders that sync to my Exchange server at work. It’s not perfect but good enough for a quick lookup, and it keeps task reminders in sync between my devices.

If I didn’t need a way to access my tasks on desktop, I’d just use 2Do exclusively and sync via Dropbox.

This message was edited Aug 03, 2018.
Ummagumma

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by justinhappy:
I am prepared to shift to excel and other crappy alternatives if I feel that I am subsidizing all these free loaders.

So you would rather lose a reasonably priced, decent service that you like (and the silver plan is reasonable) than subsidize the free users ?

Evernote adapted that approach, and I don't think it's working out too good for them in the long run. But at least, Evernote used to be the single biggest brand in it's field, with many dedicated users who agree to pay the much higher prices to keep access to their service, so the corporation should be able to milk the existing users for years to come.

I don't think Toodledo has nearly that much power. I do agree that the free version is way too generous, but at the same time, it has to be very attractive to attract new users in first place.

I personally think that unless a service has really good brand recognition, having a non-expiring free option with a decent basic set of tools is very important. You want users to rely on your service and naturally grow into wanting to buy extended features. Most people, myself included, would be very hesitant to commit to a service for even a month if we are going to have to pay at the end. It's a lot of work and personal time investment to move dozens or hundreds of tasks to a new platform and do all the necessary tweaks to make it work.

This message was edited Aug 03, 2018.
chris Post deleted
justinhappy

Posted: Aug 06, 2018
Posted by Olivir2018:
Posted by justinhappy:

Is your decission to leave Toodledo based on more info than just this sentence from Privacy Policy: "This website uses encryption when sending or receiving information so that it is protect in transit. This website uses encryption to store some (but not all) of your data while it is at rest in our database."? Like reaction from DPO, what actual data is not encrypted at rest? Just asking.

Data need to be encrypted at rest and in transit. This is currently the best practice, though might not be enough.
Yes, data not encrypted at rest means almost anyone can look at your data easily like an open book. Though not foolproof but it does indicate some level of effort by the owner to protect my data.
justinhappy

Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by justinhappy:

Hi Ummagumma,

2Do doesn’t have a web service, it’s an app. And it’s only available on iOS, Android and Mac OS. Since I use Windows, I need some way to access my tasks on it.

2Do does sync with Toodledo but, as I said, it’s not perfect. My biggest issues are that there’s no background sync, and no task reminder sync. So, at the present time, I use 2Do with iOS Reminders that sync to my Exchange server at work. It’s not perfect but good enough for a quick lookup, and it keeps task reminders in sync between my devices.

If I didn’t need a way to access my tasks on desktop, I’d just use 2Do exclusively and sync via Dropbox.

Thank you Sir for the information. Sounds troublesome to me.
justinhappy

Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by justinhappy:
I am prepared to shift to excel and other crappy alternatives if I feel that I am subsidizing all these free loaders.

So you would rather lose a reasonably priced, decent service that you like (and the silver plan is reasonable) than subsidize the free users ?

Evernote adapted that approach, and I don't think it's working out too good for them in the long run. But at least, Evernote used to be the single biggest brand in it's field, with many dedicated users who agree to pay the much higher prices to keep access to their service, so the corporation should be able to milk the existing users for years to come.

I don't think Toodledo has nearly that much power. I do agree that the free version is way too generous, but at the same time, it has to be very attractive to attract new users in first place.

I personally think that unless a service has really good brand recognition, having a non-expiring free option with a decent basic set of tools is very important. You want users to rely on your service and naturally grow into wanting to buy extended features. Most people, myself included, would be very hesitant to commit to a service for even a month if we are going to have to pay at the end. It's a lot of work and personal time investment to move dozens or hundreds of tasks to a new platform and do all the necessary tweaks to make it work.

Hi Sir,
Yes, I am prepared to stopped using toodledo if the value outweighs the cost.
The new owner can think about the free version but the price I have to pay as paid subscriber better not be = (total cost(including labour of segregating the free users cost)/total number of users) x profit margin.
Ummagumma

Posted: Aug 07, 2018
Posted by justinhappy:

Hi Sir,
Yes, I am prepared to stopped using toodledo if the value outweighs the cost.
The new owner can think about the free version but the price I have to pay as paid subscriber better not be = (total cost(including labour of segregating the free users cost)/total number of users) x profit margin.[/quote]

So you'd pay $25/year if there's no unlimited time free version, but won't pay $25/year if the free users can continue to use the program without a signup deadline ?

I respect your opinion.. but I don't think Toodledo can afford to lose attractiveness for new users, and this means a free version that doesn't expire.

Perhaps they should offer Saved searches as a paid feature, and limit the number of tags in a free version to 5-7.

But first, they really need to fix subtasks; the way it's currently implemented makes it useless for me.
jlquinn_2

Posted: Aug 09, 2018
Posted by Ummagumma:

Exactly. I would never have signed up if the free service didn't let me do useful stuff. I've since found value in the added features, but crippleware is only useful if you can explore enough and trust that the jump to paid will be worth it.

Task management requires actually using it for a while to make it worth the effort to explore.
tim_layton

Posted: Aug 09, 2018
Hi Sam,

One suggestion, building on others suggestions about marketing the flexibility of Toodledo - the trade off of flexibility is higher barriers to getting started - maybe some official guides on setting it up/workflow with common systems such as GTD, or even a way of selecting 'default' setups so that people have something other than a blank page to start from.

Regards,

Tim
Joey Lockie

Posted: Aug 23, 2018
Just my two cents

I consider paid subscriptions themselves a feature not just getting access to other features. You paying a monthly fee to make sure an app you like has
a incentive to stay around and keep improving. Them improving the free version is a benefit to us who pay, more users you like it may be will to move to paid subscription.

Maybe limited time access to paid features that will make the free version users want to come over to the paid version.

Posted: Aug 29, 2018
Hello,
Should I speak English? I'm a Chinese user, haha
About new version, I have one suggestion.
The tag, old version can edit directly, but the new version should click tag page and change the tag, it is not convenience.
So if possible, please Toodledo team, can you please keep the "edit tag" function?
I really love the new version, but if it can be kept "edit tag" function, everything will be perfect!
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!
Thank you in advance.
Anne
marcemobile_3

Posted: Sep 15, 2018
Hello Sam, the new Web design looks quite smart but I had to revert to the old design as I could no longer see the 'Calendar' icon which is normally under 'Dates'. In my opinion, is quite important as you can quickly display an overview of all tasks being worked on, on any given date. Which helps greatly when planning ahead. I request please return this icon, or option again which was available in the dropdown menu under Tasks.

Thank you.

MSeeya
J.O.D.

Posted: Sep 17, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
You were almost there, in Dates view, there are two tabs, Dates and Calendar. I think that the Calendar tab is what you are looking for?

Anotherwords, Dates and Calendar are integrated under single icon Dates.

Posted by marcemobile_3:
Hello Sam, the new Web design looks quite smart but I had to revert to the old design as I could no longer see the 'Calendar' icon which is normally under 'Dates'. In my opinion, is quite important as you can quickly display an overview of all tasks being worked on, on any given date. Which helps greatly when planning ahead. I request please return this icon, or option again which was available in the dropdown menu under Tasks.

Thank you.

MSeeya

This message was edited Sep 17, 2018.
Lise46

I'm a Gold subscriber for several years, President of a small company, like most of us, a thousand balls in the air. I am happy to pay an increase, IFF

1. The Android App syncs. It is clumsy and challenging to use, but I can deal with that. If it isn't syncing, it is useless to me. I really really really don't want to be running in multiple platforms.

2. The "new" layout final becomes final. I have to select it every time I open the website. (I've clear caches, cookies, etc etc etc)

thanks!
J.O.D.

Regarding No. 2: Are you entering Toodledo on web via https://tasks.toodledo.com/ or via http://www.toodledo.com and Settings/Tasks/Default Views set to New (taks.toodledo.com)? Entering via https://www.toodledo.com/tasks/ will always lead to the old version, tasks.toodledo.com will always lead to the new version.

Posted by info_1395434132:
I'm a Gold subscriber for several years, President of a small company, like most of us, a thousand balls in the air. I am happy to pay an increase, IFF

1. The Android App syncs. It is clumsy and challenging to use, but I can deal with that. If it isn't syncing, it is useless to me. I really really really don't want to be running in multiple platforms.

2. The "new" layout final becomes final. I have to select it every time I open the website. (I've clear caches, cookies, etc etc etc)

thanks!
marcemobile_3

Posted: Sep 20, 2018
Thanks J.O. D, I found the Calendar items in a second tab available after clicking the Dates icon.

Kind Regards. MSeeya
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.