ForumsNewsiPhone Update: Alert sounds, timezone syncing and more

iPhone Update: Alert sounds, timezone syncing and more
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 18, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Version 1.5.4 of our iPhone app is now available from the iTunes App Store.

* You can now pick which sound is played when you receive a popup reminder for a task that is due soon.
* Added option to sync your timezone from the iPhone to the website. This is helpful if you travel and want popup reminders to arrive on time in the local timezone instead of your home timezone.
* When adding a task, you now have the option to save it and return to where you were, or to go to the task and edit the details further.
* Emailing a task will now stay inside the app instead of switching to the Mail app.
* Fixed bug with lists occasionally being blank when sorting by "folder, importance" or "folder, due-date".
* Fixed bug where the keyboard would hide the bottom half of a new note in landscape mode.
* Fixed bug where the last task in a list might be hidden below the toolbar after doing a search.
* Fixed bug where having a start page of "Folders" would sometimes start to the last folder you were in instead of the list of folders.
* Fixed bug with the New Zealand timezone where a due-date might be visually displayed to be one day ahead of what it actually was.
* Fixed bug where completing a task with "sync on edit" enabled would cause the task to dissappear too quickly, with no ability to uncomplete it if it was a mistake.
* Fixed bug where the main screen would flicker when it refreshed it's badge counts
* Fixed bug where a folder created on the website would require a manualy sync before appearing on the iPhone in some situations
* Fixed bug with "Sync on Edit" where rapidly editing multiple tasks in a row with a slow network connection may have caused some of the edits to not get synced to the website until the next time you did a manual sync.
* Fixed some minor cosmetic display issues related to landscape mode.

Supports iPhone OS 3.0 and 3.1

IMPORTANT NOTE: To avoid losing your existing data, please make sure that you sync with Toodledo.com and backup your iPhone to iTunes before updating the application. Do not delete the application from your iPhone before installing the new version because this will also delete all of your data.
Andrew

Posted: Sep 19, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I wonder how all these bugs are found. There must be some bug reporting feature somewhere...

I wish these bugs didn't exist because it takes away much time for new features. Glad to know development is active though.
Proximo

Posted by Andrew:
I wonder how all these bugs are found. There must be some bug reporting feature somewhere...

I wish these bugs didn't exist because it takes away much time for new features. Glad to know development is active though.

Andrew,

I am just starting to learn programming but there is one fact I know for sure.

There is no such thing as bug free software. Unless you write an app that simply says "Hello World".

All the software I have used in all my life has bugs. It's not because the programming is bad or the software maker is lazy. It's because the complexity of software makes it almost impossible to find all the bugs when you release the software. As long as you continue to improve the software and add functionality, you will have bugs.

Fixing bugs in software is part of programming and although it takes time to correct them, it's usually not a reason for innovation to stop.

You fix bugs as best you can to make your software as solid as possible, but if you continue to improve the software and add more functions and innovations. You will always have to deal with bugs.

Expecting software without bugs is like expecting a baseball player to never strike out. If you strike out, it does not mean you are a bad ball player. It's part of the package and process of getting better. No matter how good you get, you will always strike out.

If you don't want to ever strike out, you simple must stop playing ball.
Anders

Proximo's absolutely right. Bugs are an inevitable component of code, and they always have been.
"As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought. Debugging had to be discovered. I can remember the exact instant when I realized that a large part of my life from then on was going to be spent in finding mistakes in my own programs."
(Maurice Wilkes discovers debugging, 1949)

BTW, nice update Toodledo. The option to add the task after entering its name is a time-saver when you just need to record a though, but only have second, or if you want to quickly add a few things and work out the details later. And the timezone syncing is going to solve some one of the most common problems encountered by new users.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 21, 2009
By the way, if you guys like the updates, please don't forget to re-rate the app in the iTunes store. You can rate each version of the app that we release, and it really does help a lot for us to get good ratings, especially right after an update.
IceHeartX

Posted: Sep 22, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
By the way, if you guys like the updates, please don't forget to re-rate the app in the iTunes store. You can rate each version of the app that we release, and it really does help a lot for us to get good ratings, especially right after an update.

good point, i didn't know they tracked each version separately.

review sent.
Glen

Posted: Sep 23, 2009
Any idea when we can expect to see context filtering within folders? Not being pushy, just wondering when I can jump ship to an app where the developers actually listen to the users (currently using ToDo).
Andrew

Posted: Sep 23, 2009
Posted by Glen:
Any idea when we can expect to see context filtering within folders? Not being pushy, just wondering when I can jump ship to an app where the developers actually listen to the users (currently using ToDo).

If you haven't already noticed, the Toodledo developer is very, very active on the forums, often responding to more than 3/4 of the threads, some even more than once. I seriously doubt that you could find another developer of an online task manager that acts the same way toward their customers.
Claudio

Posted: Sep 24, 2009
Andrew, I think that Glen is saying that Toodledo developers do listen to users and that's why he wants to "jump ship", but, before he does that, he needs the Toodledo iPhone app to have context filtering within folders.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2009.
Glen

Posted by Claudio:
Andrew, I think that Glen is saying that Toodledo developers do listen to users and that's why he wants to "jump ship", but, before he does that, he needs the Toodledo iPhone app to have context filtering within folders.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Nobody comes close to Toodledo's developers in terms of customer service and appreciation. Context filtering within folders is just a make-or-break feature for me.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Context filtering is on the to-do list, but we don't have an ETA. Sorry.
jacinta.ong

Posted: Oct 09, 2009
I have been using Appigo Todo Lite one my iphone for quite some time. Was deciding whether to buy the full version of Todo or Toodledo. Finally decided to buy Toodledo based on the great reviews and thought that it would probably have worked better with Toodledo.com. Was a little disappointed however.. Would really be great if Toodledo iPhone app could have provide the following:

1) Use a date picker calendar instead of the scroll wheel to select the due date.

2) Alarm/reminder be set automatically when a due time is indicated. No alarm/reminder if no due time.

3) Allow the basic subscription user to select different alarm/reminder duration (instead of default to 1hr before the event due). This should have been highlighted more clearly on the iPhone app download site. Would have think twice before buying then.

4) Move completed tasks to the bottom of the list. I use the notes portion to capture details for my tasks. So would need to display completed tasks so that I can easily refer to the notes. List looks very messy when the completed tasks are at the top/ in between uncompleted tasks.

Are there any plans to implement these features? Would have otherwise made Toodledo a really great iPhone app. Thanks!
Anders

Score: -1 Reference
I don't know Toodledo's plans, but 1 has been suggested several times, and I also hope to see it.

For 2, that is how Toodledo reminders used to work, and the reminder field was added so that you don't have to get reminders for everything with a Due Date. In fact, I did not have much use for reminders personally when they were sent for every task with a Due Date. However, Toodledo has said that they plan to add a setting for a default reminder so that you wouldn't have to set it each time if you don't want to.

I can't really weigh in on 3, though I will note that Todo only offers one lead time for reminders.

I like 4 a lot. I'm not sure if I've seen it suggested, but it would be nice.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions!
gaylon

Posted: Oct 15, 2009
Great update !!
This cemented my decision to move from ToDo iPhone app back to the ToodleDo iPhone app. I had never been satisfied with either until now...
Eric

I'm having trouble with the iphone app syncing. All works well but no information is coming across.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Please open a support ticket or a new topic in the "Questions" forum and provide some additional information about what steps you have tried already.

Thanks
peaston

Posted: Oct 17, 2009
Thanks for the time zone sync!
el9o

Posted: Oct 18, 2009
Hello,

Regards reminders default to 1hr before the event due .. This is really annoying and useless.

If you have to give just ONE time, let it be the exact event time (iCal calls it 'On Date of event').
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 19, 2009
You can get more reminder times by becoming a Subscriber. I know that 1hr as the only option doesn't fit all scenarios, but we have to have some way to encourage people to upgrade from a free account. We have to pay the bills, you know :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.