ForumsNewsToodledo on the iPhone

Toodledo on the iPhone
Archie 88

Posted: Nov 02, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Hello, thanks for the great iPhone app! I have a couple questions about the app, since I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if i need to make a feature request:

1.) Is there a way to make the overdue items stand out a bit (if not a feature yet, maybe they could be in red?). Also, in the list view that shows All Tasks, Hotlist, Starred, etc, if one of them had an overdue item, maybe the item number could be a red oval instead of grey/blue?

2.) Is it possible to change the font size? I'd like to see the todo item larger (maybe with the date on the same line, but "overdue" if it's past due). Maybe this could be achieved in the same space with an option to hide the importance when viewing a list?

3.) Can we sort by more than one aspect (e.g. instead of only by due date, perhaps by due date, then by importance - like the web version)?

Also, i'm not sure if this is stepping on any toes, but it would be great if Toodledo could open source the Interface Builder files. Then people could create their own nib file GUIs according to their needs. Might also be useful for crowd-sourcing interface developement.

Thanks again for the great app (both the web and the iPhone versions).

This message was edited Nov 02, 2008.
user111

Posted: Nov 02, 2008
Could you please
a) improve speed of scrolling, loading times
b) make the app more like "Things" (as you already made in the front screen), especially a normal font-size (most important!) (like in ToDo), and instead of "Importance: 6", make a symbol (like in Todo _=). Grouping with headings like "Due Today, tomorrow" (as A B C D E in the normal phonebook app).
c) Remove the Edit button from "Task Details" and make it editable with a click like in any other iphone app.
d) make the "checked"/done-button more like an iphone app
e) please translate it to german

Would be really great. I'm still using ToDo because it's faster, but i would appreciate functions like SubNotes and Contexts in a ToDo like app.

thanks!

This message was edited Nov 02, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 04, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions
TheJMG

Posted: Nov 04, 2008
I agree, I was using Things and ToDo, but to be fully Toodledo compatible, I use now Toodledo Iphone app.
But make your app , more like "Things" would be great !
Thanks for all
JMG
ayembee

Posted: Nov 06, 2008
The application badge really needs an option for "Today's Tasks", as that's the only one I would really like to use, and it doesn't seem present in v1.2

Otherwise, it's definnitely starting to get there! Location awareness would also be great (something like Remember The Milk's location feature where you can associate a point on a google map with a location name -- then you could have an option for "Nearby Tasks" and spot any tasks relating to the area you're in -- nearby, within a few hundred metres, a few kilometres, etc)

Other than that I'd also find the ability to associate one or more photos with a task to be quite useful -- eg: Buy Girlfriend's Birthday Present could have a few possible items associated with it that you've seen as you browse the shops...

Anyway. I'm new to the site, and new to organising myself; all looking good so far!

Cheers,

-A
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 06, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
Paul

Posted: Nov 07, 2008
The one thing that would make me shift permanently over from Appigo's ToDo is the easier addition of new tasks; I really like how they've implemented it.

Adding a new task due today with setting nothing more than the name is very useful.

Adding new task due dates with easy selection of the numbered AND named days of the next week ("Wednesday, Jan 4") is easier than a click wheel of dates.
mrudmik

Posted: Nov 08, 2008
ToodleDo has become my favourite iPhone app. I have been a long time user of GTD & DIT (Do It Tomorrow) methodologies, and ToodleDo is the best tool I've found for implementing these methodologies.

Here is an enhancement I would like to request.

Change the Task Notes field display window so it will display 20+ lines at once, instead of just 8 lines as it currently does. Many times I have to scroll back and forth through the note, and having a window that displays only 8 lines has been very inconvenient. When I used to use Appigo ToDo, I did a lot less scrolling, since it allows you look at 21 lines of text at once. I really like how ToDo version 1.4 displays the note in a variable size window within the edit task view, which means you don't have to scroll within the notes window itself. Currently Toodledo requires you to scroll the notes window into view, and then scroll within the notes window itself, which is quite cumbersome, and prone to errors (ie. sometimes you scroll the notes window out of view, when you meant to scroll within the notes window).

Thank you
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 08, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
Edward Del Grosso M.D.

Posted: Nov 09, 2008
I realize that my ideas would be low priority as I do not use
this for business or GTD. What I would love to see is....

Something on the order of reusable lists. For expample when I go
to the grocery there are probably 25 items I buy 80% of the time.
So I would like to have a like to take my list grocery behave that
when I want to add things to the list I can choose off of this list
rather than having to enter the items each time.

This would also be great for recurring errands or checklists
in preparing for trips.

Thanks
ED
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 09, 2008
You could make a reusable list by making a task called "Grocery List" and then adding subtasks to that for each item that you want to buy. If you set the "repeat" value for each of the subtasks to "with parent" and set the parent to repeat in some manner, then all you would need to do is check off the parent task to get a fresh copy of all the subtasks.

Hope that helps.
J.Biniek

Posted: Nov 11, 2008
I would like to get the remember time from outlook tasks via Toodledo on my iPhone but this time will not transfer from outlook to Toodledo and also not to the iPhone. Who can get the right answer against this problem? Thank you!

Posted by Toodledo:
After many months of hard work, we have finally completed our official Toodledo iPhone application. With this, you can synchronize all of your tasks to your iPhone and access them from anywhere, even when you don't have an internet connection. It incorporates most of the functionality that you have come to love from Toodledo.com including folders, contexts, goals, status, the hotlist, importance, stars and more.

For more information, read our iPhone page or download it from the App Store
Sylanel

Posted: Nov 11, 2008
Posted by J.Biniek:
I would like to get the remember time from outlook tasks via Toodledo on my iPhone but this time will not transfer from outlook to Toodledo and also not to the iPhone. Who can get the right answer against this problem? Thank you!

Posted by Toodledo:
After many months of hard work, we have finally completed our official Toodledo iPhone application. With this, you can synchronize all of your tasks to your iPhone and access them from anywhere, even when you don't have an internet connection. It incorporates most of the functionality that you have come to love from Toodledo.com including folders, contexts, goals, status, the hotlist, importance, stars and more.

For more information, read our iPhone page or download it from the App Store

If what you mean is getting Reminder sync'ed, that's something that was asked in other threads. That being said, the Toodledo gods are appearently working on this item to hopefully deliver it to us sooner than later.

If you require reminders on the iPhone specifically, there is only one way to get them sync'ed from MS Outlook directly and it is by using Keytask from Chapura which requires you to pay a yearly subscription fee of $10, and all that for only a half decent interface when compared to Toodledo, Appigo ToDo and Remember The Milk.
chris

Posted: Nov 12, 2008
Just bought the iPhone app today and so far I really like it. It's great that it integrates so well with the web version.

I have a couple of issues with the Note section of a Task.

1) The field isn't draggable at all, in that I can't touch it with my finger to drag up & down the page. Does anyone else have the same issue?

2) I realise real estate is going to be the issue here, but when either adding or entering text for a Note, there is no 'Done' button to slide the keyboard away. This means that if I edit/enter text for a Note, from that point on the keyboard takes up a good 30-40% of the screen even though I'm finished with it. If there's some way you can fit this in it would be great.

Lastly, a big compliment for being so responsive to everyone's comments here. That goes a long way towards building customer loyalty in my books.

Thanks,
Chris

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Hi Chris,

1) On the iPhone, the way to scroll within a text box is with a two-finger drag. Not alot of people know this. If you scroll with two fingers, the note field will scroll. If you need to scroll the entire page, you'll need to tap outside of the note area and drag with one finger. I know it's not that intuitive, but that's the way Apple made it work.

2) The way Apple made the keyboard, you only get a Done button OR and Return key. Since the note needs to have the ability to make line breaks with the return key, we couldn't use a Done button. To make the keyboard go away, you can just select any other editable field on the page.

Hope that helps.
Danny

Posted by Toodledo:
On the iPhone, the way to scroll within a text box is with a two-finger drag. Not alot of people know this. If you scroll with two fingers, the note field will scroll. If you need to scroll the entire page, you'll need to tap outside of the note area and drag with one finger. I know it's not that intuitive, but that's the way Apple made it work.

I may be mistaken, but I believe he is referring to the ability to scroll the entire task screen by dragging your finger vertically across the note field. I've noticed this myself. If you tap any field (folder, for example) and then start moving your finger, the whole page will scroll. Obviously this is normal behavior for any iPhone application. When you try this with the note field, however, the page doesn't budge. And then as soon as you lift your finger, the note field gets selected! So if you entered it by accident, you're forced to either save or cancel the note to get out of it.
chris

Posted by Danny:

I may be mistaken, but I believe he is referring to the ability to scroll the entire task screen by dragging your finger vertically across the note field. I've noticed this myself. If you tap any field (folder, for example) and then start moving your finger, the whole page will scroll. Obviously this is normal behavior for any iPhone application. When you try this with the note field, however, the page doesn't budge. And then as soon as you lift your finger, the note field gets selected! So if you entered it by accident, you're forced to either save or cancel the note to get out of it.

Danny's correct, I meant the entire task screen, not within the text box itself.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You'll just need to tap and scroll outside of the note field. This is the way Apple makes it work.
stuu

Is this the place for wierd non-recreateable bug-sightings?

I'd been playing around with statuses, contexts, and tags, and (not being a GTD'er) recently removed the Status field from my Fields Used.

This morning when I filtered by tags (select tag -> select a tag for list view) the title (that should be showing my selected tag-name) read "Delegated"!
Went back to the tag-selection screen, selected my tag again, and this time it read "Waiting".
Did it again to get "Hold".
And so forth until it finally went through the entire list of Statuses, and displayed my tag.

Tried to recreate the bug by turning the Status field on and off, but am not having any luck.

-- Stu
tsinvest

Posted: Nov 13, 2008
This looks like a winner. I just downloaded it and only had a few minutes to play with it. I also have Appigo's Todo, but I must say from what I could see in this short time Toodledo looks very good and more intuitive then Todo. I am not trashing Todo, it too is a good app. NOW the big problem with Toodledo's site with both apps (I am pasting a note I left on this board and Appigo's)please read below:

I have Appigo's Todo and their Notebook app. My notebook app has many
more folders(category) names than my todo app. I sync thru Toodledo
and to my dismay they only have one list of folder(category) names for
both todo and notebook so on the ipod touch all the notebook folder
names now show up also in my todo application. When I delete the
unwanted names in the todo app, the next time I sync with Toodledo the
notebook folder names are right back in my todo app. I hope they can
be made to create a seperate folder name list for both apps
separately. I don't want (or need) the Notebook folder names also in
my Todo app and visa versa.

So now even with Toodledo's itouch app the notebook folders I have on Toodledo show up in the itouch app. This adds a lot of clutter to the app. Please Toodledo will you fix this?

ps - someone mentioned the Toodledo font is too small - please don't change this - the small font is great because you can view more todos on one screen.

UPDATE: With Appigo's recent update to Todo, I would say they are really back in the running - this is going to be one tough race between these two developers. Both excellent apps!

UPDATE#2: Had a little more time to play with each app and I don't mean to be comparing them, but since I already did I want to clarify that Appigo's ToDo, for me at least, is the better app at the moment. Why? It opens quicker, it will open to your list of todos if that is where you last were, it has tags and context filters, when you go to edit a task you click once on the task and you can edit (in Toodledo you must click on the task and then click on the edit box), picking the due date is much easier in Todo with their due date selection screen (today, tomorrow, etc.), and Todo's sync button is on the bottom menu bar, not hidden in the menus.

I look forward to watch how Toodledo develops over time and I wish both companies well.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.