ForumsQuestionsTask assumes due date of first-due sub-task

Task assumes due date of first-due sub-task
andersmjorgensen

Posted: Mar 24, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I found this old question on subtasks, but the topic was locked so I am quoting it here

I agree that there is a problem of subtask cluttering, and especially when the descriptive text of a sub-task only makes sense within the context of the task. My suggestion to take care of this is as follows and does not involve sub-task interdependency which could be difficult to implement. Here is my suggestion:

Simply allow the option to have the top-level task assume the due date/time of the first-due sub-task. Then hide all sub-tasks. Now the top-level task will show up in the due list and when you click it you will be able to see what the actual task is. Simple.

Old message quoted here:

"The example in the subtask help exhibits a problem that shows up for me a lot. Subtasks of a task are generally dependent on earlier ones. You can't pick up a rental car until you've reserved it, so showing the pick-up subtask before the reservation subtask is completed is just cluttering the view with something you have to remember to ignore.

I propose a dependency feature: a subtask may be designated as depending upon the subtask before it (even better would be if you could specify any earlier subtask in the same task). Until that earlier subtask is completed, this one has priority -1, after which it goes to whatever it was assigned. ThinkingRock does this IIRC.

This would be useful even if it was all-or-nothing, i.e., the parent task had the property that either all subtasks were dependent on their order or none of them were. Most of my parent tasks have all of their subtasks dependent on their order anyway. "
uselessuser

Posted: Mar 25, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
As you probably can guess from my other thread, I support this motion.
Paul

As do I.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.