ForumsQuestionsOffline Access - Google Gears

Offline Access - Google Gears
mike.greenland

Posted: Aug 27, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by loondog:
Toodledo, Sorry if this has been asked before but nothing came up in a search. Are there any future plans to use Google Gears for offline use?

Thanks
mike.greenland

2 years have elapsed since "The Administrator" said offline access is in the plan. Are we any nearer please? Offline access is essential please.
mike.greenland

Posted by Toodledo:
Offline access is planned for the future, but we have no ETA. It is a very big project.

Are we any nearer yet please?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
Offline access is still being worked on. We had a setback when Google discontinued its Gears product, but we have transitioned our development to HTML5 and it is on track.
lech

Posted: Sep 30, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
Offline access is still being worked on. We had a setback when Google discontinued its Gears product, but we have transitioned our development to HTML5 and it is on track.

I'm really looking forward to it guys. Currently I'm struggling between using Outlook syncs and TaskAngel, but none of them are as flexible and feel as familiar as the official web version.

Good luck!
Ross.gardler

Posted: Mar 17, 2011
As I come to depend more and more on ToodleDo the need for offline access grows.

Great to hear it is being worked on. In the meantime the iPhone app is doing most of what I need in offline support. However, it doesn't provide access to attached files.

If it is possible to add this feature to the iPhone app while you continue to work on offline access to the webapp that would be just wonderful.
h.a.lewis67

Posted: May 29, 2011
After reading many favourable comments and reviews I recently started using Toodledo and found it had many good features. But unfortunately the absence of an off-line feature is a killer for me, as I need my to-do list with me at times when I cannot access the internet (and I do not have a smartphone/tablet). So I am now about to test the export feature and then put a tickler in my calendar to check back in 6 months.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 29, 2011
Offline can be achieved by using one of the many 3rd party applications that sync with Toodledo. There are solutions for every major smart phone and desktop OS.

http://www.toodledo.com/tools/directory.php
chisha.lombe

Posted: Jul 17, 2011
Hi Team Toodledo, are you still working on offline access or is this no longer on the backlog due to the availability of 3rd party tools? From the comments on the forum I think I'm one of a number of people who don't always have internet access but don't find the 3rd party tools as easy to work with. Like another poster I would be happy to use a specific browser if that was the price for html5 support. Please give us offline access, this would be a massive help! Great product otherwise, keep up the good work.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 17, 2011
We still have offline access planned for a future update.
Michael

Posted: Sep 05, 2011
This thread asking for offline use of Toodledo goes back to 2008, best I can tell.

Toodledo keeps saying it's in the works, and it's a big project. (They did it for the iphone app.)

...it's been almost FOUR years, Toodledo!

You've got a great app, but I need it offline on my MacBk Pro.

...enough run-around, what's the real plans for offline support? Or do we need to start shopping around???
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There is a reason why almost no websites support offline mode yet. The technology has not been mature enough until very recently. Google Gears was a neat idea, but it was not a web standard approach, and I am glad that we didn't invest effort in that direction because Google has canceled that project. We are working on a standard HTML5 offline solution and we are making good progress. It is bleeding edge stuff, so we are still trying to get it to work in all the major browsers.

The only offline websites that I know of is RTM (which uses the defunct Google Gears plugin) and Google's gmail, calendar and docs (which was released this month and only works in Chrome with a custom plugin). So, it is clear that offline in the browser is a very difficult problem that nobody has really solved yet without using plugins. We want to do it without plugins and we are making good progress. Most of our time since 2008 has been spent waiting for the web browsers to implement the technology to allow this to work.
JCarl

I wish forum users would stop on one hand complimenting the product and on the other threaten to leave if they don't implement immediately there request. We all have our top requests. Maybe there is a possibility of periodically Toodledo listing there top say 4 priorities for future. My recollection at the beginning of the year was UI and collaboration so it may look like this.

1. Bug support & corrections as needed (No description)
2. Minor features as developed (No description)
2. User Interface (Major project)
3. Collaboration (Major project)

If this were done say quarterly it may help the continued references to old requests and the standard reply that it is on the list. I guess the only downside is competition knowledge.

Thoughts?
petesattler

Posted: Oct 12, 2011
Posted by Toodledo:
There is a reason why almost no websites support offline mode yet. The technology has not been mature enough until very recently. Google Gears was a neat idea, but it was not a web standard approach, and I am glad that we didn't invest effort in that direction because Google has canceled that project. We are working on a standard HTML5 offline solution and we are making good progress. It is bleeding edge stuff, so we are still trying to get it to work in all the major browsers.

The only offline websites that I know of is RTM (which uses the defunct Google Gears plugin) and Google's gmail, calendar and docs (which was released this month and only works in Chrome with a custom plugin). So, it is clear that offline in the browser is a very difficult problem that nobody has really solved yet without using plugins. We want to do it without plugins and we are making good progress. Most of our time since 2008 has been spent waiting for the web browsers to implement the technology to allow this to work.
petesattler

Had a Wifi Outage today ... so I'm really looking forward to having Toodledo available offline.

I've been trying to fine the latest update from Tootledo on the status of that. It looks like they are saying: not soon, as the browser technology just got to the state where this might work.

It sounds like the only way I can get offline access is if I buy a Iphone or Ipad?
Purveyor

There are a few 3rd party tools that allow you to have offline access:
http://www.toodledo.com/tools/directory.php
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.