ForumsQuestionsMystery Appointment on my ToodleDo calendar

Mystery Appointment on my ToodleDo calendar
Erik Gunn/GLES

Posted: Oct 16, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I have a toodledo account and I have a google calendar.

I implemented the toodledo feature so the toodledo lists appear on my google calendar.

This creates a separate "toodledo calendar" that shows through on the google calendar.

Now there is a mysterious appointment on the toodledo calendar when seen in google calendar. it is for a particular date (october 25) and it has an incomprehensible name/title ("quirof tarde"). when I click on it, it is attributed to a gmail address I do not recognize.

I cannot remove it, it is not on my toodledo list at toodledo.com, and I have no idea what it is.

to make it go away I have to delete the toodledo calendar from my google calendar, which means removing the toodledo list from my google calendar.

does anybody know what is causing this and how to get rid of it???

here's the other weird thing. It only shows up on my laptop. My desktop computer doesn't show it. and I don't see it when i'm looking at the google calendar on another computer.

ETA: I see the same problem is reported on here.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/12324/0/what-is-this-appointment-on-the-toodledo-calendar.html

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 17, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
We answered the question in that other thread. It is Google's bug to fix, not ours.
Craig Bird

Posted: Oct 22, 2011
Score: 4 Reference
I now have the same issue. Don't you hate it when one techi says its the other techie's fault? If this keeps up, I will have to use another program...goodbye Toodledo. Even though I love Toodledo, I can't live without Google.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 24, 2011
I wish we could fix it. I'm sorry that we can't. It is a Google issue. The bug only affects the Toodledo Google Calendar gadget, so you can remove this gadget from your Google Calendar and you won't have the problem anymore. You'll then just need to keep Toodledo open in another tab instead us relying on the little popup Toodledo inside Google Calendar. That's not such a big deal, I don't think.
katzja

Posted: Dec 10, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
It is a big deal. Part of Toodledo's appeal is its widespread integration, but it is important to realize that there are competing services which offer comparable functionality. And realistically, Google calendar's use is probably growing a a fair pace, so disregarding it will be problematic to a growing number of people.

For folks with the same problem, one kludgy interim solution is to add the Toodledo Gadget on the side of the calendar, when you disable the Toodledo calendar under "Other Calendars".
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 10, 2011
After a lot of investigation, experimentation and some great insight from Dominique Gunia (Developer of CalenGoo for iPhone) we have isolated the problem. I can now reliably and easily add an event to anyone's Google Calendar that I want as long as they have a Google Calendar Gadget installed. And I have done this without having Toodledo installed, so I can confirm with 100% certainty that this problem affects all Calendar Gadgets, has nothing to do with Toodledo, and is Google's responsibility to fix.

Im not going to disclose how this is done, since it is a security vulnerability with Google Calendar. All I will say is that anyone who knows the trick can easily add a task to someone else's Google Calendar in less than a minute using nothing more than the regular Google Calendar website. We have notified Google about this security problem but have not yet gotten a response.

That is how you intentionally spam someone using Google Calendar. This doesn't explain how this happens to people by accident. We haven't been able to reproduce this part of the problem yet, but it is clear that this only happens to people using 3rd party products with Google Calendar. Pocket Informant, CalenGoo, GmobileSync and Oggsync have all been reported to us. I don't think that all of these programs have the same bug. I think that there is a bug in the Google Calendar API that causes this to happen to all 3rd party tools. We have not been able to reproduce the problem via the API yet, although I know that it is possible.

In summary: there are 2 bugs which are interacting to cause events to be added to other people's calendar. It is clearly Google's problem to fix. We have told them. We have reproduced this without Toodledo installed, so it is clearly unrelated to Toodledo. The only solution at this time (other than waiting for Google to fix it) is to uninstall all your Google Calendar Gadgets. If you use any 3rd party tools with Google Calendar, you should be aware that your information may be getting shared with other people.

We have now spent over 60 hours debugging Google's security problem, which is pretty frustrating to us. I wish that there was something that we could do to fix it, but we will have to wait for Google. Feel free to bug them.
interman

Posted: Dec 11, 2011
Ok, I have read all the topics on this subject.

Based on your responses, I am going to contact Google as well. My company pays for Google Apps for business and I should get a little better response.

To be honest, I feel for you BUT this entire problem makes Toodledo look bad.

May I suggest, since you have spent some much time on this, that you suggest to your users some work-arounds, even temp ones and let your users choose which to implement.

Remember, it is not that it is a Google security breach, it is that people will stop using your produce because of it. The entries are quite annoying and block my entire screen.

Thank you for all your help.

Don
interman

Sorry for my spelling above.
interman

Sorry, one more suggestion (or similar).

The calendar is read only. The tasks are read only. Is there anyway to make it NOT read only?

Can you filter invites from the calendar?

Has anyone tried anything that makes it at least acceptable?

Thanks, Don
interman

Ok, to help Toodledo, I have posted several support request with Google and one with Pocket Informant HD (my software of choice). If I hear anything constructive, I will post it here.

Don
wendymeers

Posted: Dec 12, 2011
Hi I also have this problem - it has only just started perhaps in late october but this week it has suddenly got much worse and has taken over my screen with multiple entires on each day. Sorry I'm not very technical - please can some tell me how I can get rid of my tasks from Google calenders as it doesn't seem to be the same as any other calender in the settings part of google calenders - for now until this problem is resolved I want to remove it from Google calenders but can't see how to do so. Thanks for anyones help on this
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 13, 2011
To remove the events you need to unsubscribe from the Toodledo Calendar Gadget. You can do this in the Google Calendar settings. You can then add the Toodledo Calendar sidebar which doesn't have this problem.

http://www.toodledo.com/widget/google_gadget.php
wendymeers

Thanks - its all sorted so the entries have disappeared and i have my calnder back and the sidebar is great. thanks
melissa.boisvert

I have just installed the sidebar as well because all the extra events in my calendar are driving me crazy! But the sidebar just shows the top few tasks, and I can't scroll to see the rest. Is this what it's supposed to do?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 14, 2011
My sidebar has a scrollbar. Which web browser are you using?
melissa.boisvert

Posted: Dec 15, 2011
Google Chrome.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Try unsubscribing and then resubscribing to the sidebar. That may help.

http://www.toodledo.com/widget/google_gadget.php
melissa.boisvert

I just tried opening my calendar in Explorer as well, and have the same problem. I can email you a screen shot, if that helps.
melissa.boisvert

It worked when I resubscribed. Thank you!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 16, 2011
We just received a response from Google's Security team. Apparently, this is the intended behavior and they have no intention of correcting it. This really blows my mind.

We have already appealed to them to change their mind, but in the meantime we are discontinuing the Google Calendar Gadget and replacing it with the Google Calendar Sidebar which does not have this problem.

To make the switch, go into your Google Calendar settings, and find the "Toodledo" listing in the "Calendars" tab. Click unsubscribe and then follow the directions to add the sidebar.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2012.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.