ForumsQuestionssubtask

subtask
Jon

Posted: Apr 23, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I am a paid subscriber to both Vitalist and Toodledo. I currently use Vitalist, but occasionally come over to Toodledo to check it out. There are some things about Toodledo that I really like, but there is one deal breaker - no manual sorting. Most of my projects have discrete steps that must be performed in order and I need to be able to manually sort them and keep them that way - automatic sorting does nothing for me. Unfortunately, until Toodledo gets manual sorting, I can not consider switching from Vitalist. So, another vote for manual sorting. Jon
Jon

Posted: Apr 23, 2008
Posted by jon.cremers:
I am a paid subscriber to both Vitalist and Toodledo. I currently use Vitalist, but occasionally come over to Toodledo to check it out. There are some things about Toodledo that I really like, but there is one deal breaker - no manual sorting. Most of my projects have discrete steps that must be performed in order and I need to be able to manually sort them and keep them that way - automatic sorting does nothing for me. Unfortunately, until Toodledo gets manual sorting, I can not consider switching from Vitalist. So, another vote for manual sorting. Jon

In playing with it further, I may be able to approximate a manual sort by using contexts of 1, 2, 3, 4, etc and then sort by context.

Jon
fsampaio

Posted: Apr 24, 2008
One thing that really bothers me with subtasks is that I like to view all my tasks and subtasks at the same time to get an overview of my tasks, like the default view of folder view. However, the "+ Add a subtask" button beneath all tasks that have subtasks breaks readability, I think it should go somewhere else.
tarch

Posted by fsampaio:
One thing that really bothers me with subtasks is that I like to view all my tasks and subtasks at the same time to get an overview of my tasks, like the default view of folder view. However, the "+ Add a subtask" button beneath all tasks that have subtasks breaks readability, I think it should go somewhere else.

I agree...It should go somewhere else. Also, I'd like to see the option to show the unfolded view of subtasks rather than having to click through and open up via the main task.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions.
fsampaio

Posted by tarch:
Posted by fsampaio:

I agree...It should go somewhere else. Also, I'd like to see the option to show the unfolded view of subtasks rather than having to click through and open up via the main task.

I support this one aswell! It's like we need sometimes to see all of our tasks unfolded and each line should contain a task, that's why the "+ Add a subtask" doesn't fit there.
tarch

I am amazed by your getting back to these issues @Toodledo. I spent over a year with Vitalist and it took over a month for them to respond to issues on the forums, if at all. Thank you for your professional approach...this just reinforces my decision to switch to your service.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2008.
jdoree

I would also like to see foldable subtasks.

I also second tarch on this appreciation of the responses from the Toodledo team. For me that is definitely a large part of the appeal of Toodledo itself.
kleerkoat

Posted: Apr 25, 2008
i third that.

ill admit though, I am torn between the two. but i'd have to say that i like my money going to Toodledo much better.

i feel sorry for people behind Toodledo, over the past few weeks we've been bombarding them with question and requests and they seem to listen and take them in stride.

Thank you!
Steven

Posted: Apr 27, 2008
Tasks is a flexible, nifty task manager written by Alex King:

http://crowdfavorite.com/tasks/

It can be used for GTD, but that's not its prime focus. One of the many things to like about it is the interface for adding new tasks/subtasks: little icons appear right on the task bar, much like the "star" icon in Toodledo. Here's a sample screenshot:

http://www.unityserve.org/misc/TasksSnap.gif

Maybe that's where the "add a subtask" button could go in Toodledo?

Cheers!

This message was edited Apr 27, 2008.
TonyB

Posted: Apr 27, 2008
That's quite a nice looking programme. The 'add sub task' button is a good idea certainly and you can add a sub task right where it belongs, rather than having to add it and then drag it to where you want it to go, like you do with Toodledo.

In fact the whole interface looks far more modern and user friendly than a lot of others (including Toodledo). However, for me it falls down on the following: no goals, no contexts, no folders, no start dates.

The last two are most important to me. I know Toodledo also doesn't have start dates but at least we know that they're prioritising its introduction.
InfoJeff

Posted: Jul 30, 2008
I started at http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/13/0/subtask.html and read through this entire thread. I see there is quite an organized and well articulated need by many users for task dependency, manual re-ordering, sequencing or whatever you want to call it.

In summary, the posts identify that for subtasks, we need the option to put tasks in a certain order.

Until this is available, several creative workarounds were proposed, but ultimately we cannot really use subtasks without being able to put them in a chosen order. I have read several posts in the forum to see how to get tasks in an order since many of my tasks are dependent on others tasks to be done first. I will use one of the workarounds for now, but look forward to having this ability.

I realize ordering subtasks is just the start since I would like to see the ability to have a task defined as being dependent on another task to be done, then have these secondary tasks not display or print before the primary task is done. Task dependency has been raised by others in separate posts.
frossie

Posted: Mar 12, 2009
I think I would settle for just being able to order subtasks differently from tasks (if an arbitrary order is too hard to support). For example I prefer to sort tasks alphabetically, but subtasks by priority.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 13, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.