ForumsQuestionssubfolders?

subfolders?
tim

Posted: Apr 26, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Would it be possible to add subfolders? I currently use folders for active clients as well as ongoing projects and roles, but the folders list gets cumbersome when I am working with multiple clients.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have something called subtasks which works in pretty much the same way as subfolders, we just call them by a different name. You can learn more about that here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

Hope that helps
tim

Thanks. I have played with subtasks, and find that they are helpful for breaking down larger tasks, but they don't do what I was hoping for with subfolders. I like to be able to view tasks by folder so I can see all the tasks related to a particular client, but without subfolders I haven't found a way to group clients. I just wind up with lots of folders, and it feels bulky. Maybe there is another way around this, but I haven't found it.
TonyB

What about using tags? You could put each different project in a folder, then also tag each project and its tasks with the name of the client. If you have more than one project ongoing for a particular client, searching by tag would bring up all your tasks for that client, regardless of project.
Mark Lewis

Posted: Jun 27, 2008
Is there a way to modify the sub-task functionality to make it a sub-task or a sub-project within a folder by some type of check box, etc? That way there is no need to modify the folder structure. A way to expand all would be nice also. Also, nesting of sub-tasks to about 5 levels would be wonderful.
kenbeyond

Posted: Jun 28, 2008
Posted by Mark Lewis:
Is there a way to modify the sub-task functionality to make it a sub-task or a sub-project within a folder by some type of check box, etc? That way there is no need to modify the folder structure. A way to expand all would be nice also. Also, nesting of sub-tasks to about 5 levels would be wonderful.

Yeah,I would love to see a multi-level subtask system.
Eric

Posted: Jul 02, 2008
I have been struggling with this too. What I did is enable Goals. My short term goals are my clients (personal being myself as a client). Then I use goals with folders for major tasks, and no folder (just the goal) to identify minor "To-Dos" for the client.

My "inbox" is any items with no goal, by using a saved search.

I think this will work, just starting to reorganize with this structure.

Wish me luck.
iPhone2Droid

Posted: Aug 31, 2008
I concur with the initial poster. I've tried using subtasks as well as tags, but it's proving much too cumbersome to deal with daily. Ideally, under a Work folder, one could add individual client files as subfolders. Since that is not possible, I'm devoting the holiday weekend to researching alternatives. Ultimately, looks like I'll be keeping personal tasks etc here at ToodleDo, while using another system strictly for work items. Last thing I "want" to do, as I prefer to keep it all in one basket, so to speak.

Eric (and others), THANKS for your input. I'll go back and see if I can use Goals as you've suggested. Please do check back in at this thread to advise of the results-- I'll do the same.
iPhone2Droid

Posted: Sep 10, 2008
Well Eric, I gave this a serious try-- using Goals to handle client-related info. On the desktop, fine. But I'm dead in the water re the iPhone. "Slim" is fine, but if I have no coverage at the moment I'm trying to dump info, I turn to Appigo's ToDo app ... which knows nadda about ToodleDo's goals feature.

Back to the drawing board... There has to be some app available to handle sub-folders and with a sync feature, just hope I can find it...
DavidSzp

Posted: Sep 11, 2008
If Contexts are not being otherwise used they could be projects or clients. However, Appigo toDo does not support contexts yet either, but I know it's on their todo list (ha ha) per their Google Group and is a commonly requested feature. I'm awaiting this myself before I purchase it! My guess is they will support contexts and possibly subtasks before they support goals, but that's just a guess. And elsewhere on these forums it was mentioned that their app also does not properly reschedule a recurring event if you mark it as read from within the app (but it works fine if you mark complete within the Toodledo web interface on the desktop or iPhone).
User

Posted: Sep 27, 2008
It seems that the solution to many of these issues are to allow nested sub tasks. Many of the suggestions here are workarounds for this main problem.

High level projects consist of many sub-tasks, which have their own sub-tasks, and a way to easily display this is needed in toodledo. This doesn't seem like it would be so hard to implement. Just allow every task to be assigned to a parent or a child task, and sort accordingly.
Per

Posted: Dec 03, 2008
Hi Guys I'm new here so please excuse my ignorance
Why no subfolders?
I was mainly looking for some GTD task tools that worked with my Mac at home, Vista at work and iPhone in between.
First I found EasyTask and thought wow here is what I need, than I found out that the syncing as well as the windows application need some more time.
So the second best on specs was Toodledo ( sorry for that ). After a few weeks I started to like Toodledo and it's very stable and works perfectly. There is only one thing I am missing and that is subfolders
And after reading around in this forum and have seen a lot of nice workarounds I can still not understand why there is no subfolder.
BTW with subfolder Toodledo will be the best
Cheers
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have something called subtasks instead, which works in a very similar way.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php
Per

Score: 1 Reference
Thank you for the quick response

I've looked at that but in my opinion subtask is like splitting a task in to several parts. Subfolder is more like making a structure like folder "Work" and subfolder "Customers" and then subfolder "Customer A".
In the folder "Work" you can have all projects related to work. ยจ

If I could wish I would like to have it like a tree on the web and in iPhone like clicking on "Works" like the folder list today and then a new folder list etc and then as last picture a task list for that customer.
Cheers
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 04, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
MK

Posted: Dec 12, 2008
As a new Toodledo user, I tried to migrate my desktop task system to Toodledo and instantly ran into the problem described above. IMHO, the solutions described here are workarounds, they do not address the core problem, that you need multiple nested subfolders/subtasks to manage complexity. To me it's nothing new, I tried out other GTD based task management software before and most had this same problem. The bottom line is that this omission stems from the GTD philosophy itself, it is not a good system for people who have a lot of different and complex tasks but do not need full scale Project manager software. Many managers and professionals have this same experience, what they need is a task manager with some good outliner functionality. At the moment that is hard to find in the clouds, so there is a market niche here.
In the past, I quickly reverted back to the Natara Bonsai software, a superb outliner for Windows desktop. I regret to say that I will do the same now, but I will check back frequently to see if Toodledo staff have added the requested outliner functionality.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2008.
Eric

Posted: Dec 15, 2008
I would like to see subfolders. I have played around with subtasks and while they provide almost the same functionality as what I am looking for it still feels weird to use a task as a surrogate for a subfolder.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.