ForumsQuestionsGoogle Calendar sync frequency

Google Calendar sync frequency
Mark Krom

Posted: May 05, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I made a connection between my Toodledo account and Google Calender with the iCal subscription.

The tasks that already existed when subscribing are shown in Google Calendar, but new tasks are not. How long does it take before new tasks are shown? Or is there another problem?

The tasks do have a due date.

This message was edited May 05, 2008.
Mark Krom

Posted: May 05, 2008
Found the answer. Sync takes place once in 24 hours.
gn1sxn102

Posted: Nov 08, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
Can anyone confirm this? Ive waited 8 hours for my new tasks to show up, I cant believe I have to wait 24 hours between updates? I cant find any info on the web. Any help would be much appreciated.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 09, 2008
I don't think that Google publishes this, but from my experience it is 24 hours. Please let Google know if you want it to go faster. If they hear it enough times, they might fix it.
robert.grace

Posted: Mar 19, 2009
Isn't this more an issue of how often the Toodledo server pushes information up to Google?

Other applications (Calgoo, Google Desktop Sync, etc) are able to update calendar items to Google so that they show up in minutes...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 20, 2009
Those applications must work differently, because we don't push the information up to Google. Google must pull it from us. We publish the updates instantly, and it is up to Google to fetch them, which they seem to do once a day.

One of our big to-do items is to see if we can get Google to sync faster.
Shearin.Gary

Posted: May 10, 2009
Hi there

Firstly - great tool / website. Thanks guys.

Secondly - did you toodledo guys toodledo-do this task of liasing with Google?
There still seems to be a long time lag. All the other ical feeds I've used seems to sync much more often with Google. For a task management tool this is a big shortcoming.
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Google controls that, and while it's variable how often the sync occurs (usually once or twice a day for me), I have never noticed any difference between the Toodledo iCal and any other feed to Google Calendar. In fact, they all seem to happen at exactly the same time. Have you tried the Toodledo gcal gadget (it syncs instantly)?

This message was edited May 10, 2009.
Anders

BTW, here's just one of many threads filled with frustrated Google Calendar users wondering why their iCals take so long to update. This one is kind of old, but is very typical of what you will find if you try to search google for answers. You will also notice that google themselves never weigh in on the matter.
http://groups.google.com/group/google-calendar-help-share/browse_thread/thread/e5d4019eb067f25a/e814 469d35a99853?lnk=gst&q=how+often+are+remote+calendars+updated?
I think we should initiate a mass emailing campaign aimed at getting google to improve this terrible service. Not that the beast will listen, but at least we can say we tried.

This message was edited May 10, 2009.
thpope

Posted: May 14, 2009
That link is to the archive, which I don't think can be posted to anymore.

I did post to their new forum.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Calendar/thread?tid=4655879e5ebc62f7&hl=en

Feel free to pile on using that thread or any other. Maybe if we all start posting individual ones?

I really don't know how effective an email campaign will be, but it can't hurt. I wish they would give a clue as to why they don't refresh faster or provide a manual refresh.

Also, I remember Google has a feature request site for some of their products. Maybe they have one for this?
Anders

Posted: May 14, 2009
Posted by thpope:
I did post to their new forum.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Calendar/thread?tid=4655879e5ebc62f7&hl=en

Also, I remember Google has a feature request site for some of their products. Maybe they have one for this?

Thanks for starting a new post. I can't even seem to find an appropriate email address for support/suggestions, but this is probably more effective, being so public. There is a gmail "Suggest a Feature" service, but they don't have it for Google Calendar. The closest thing is this page: http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/static.py?page=suggestions.cs. But you can't add new suggestions there. They basically send you to the forum linked above for such things. I am going to investigate further what might be the most effective means of relaying this message, but the linked post, and emailing if anyone knows a good address certainly can't hurt.

BTW, here is the only official Google information I have been able to dig up on sync frequency: http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/static.py?page=troubleshooter.cs&problem=techissue&selected=techissue_update_feed&sl=imp03&ctx=techissue_techissue_update_feed_38847 Edit: sorry that link isn't working, but if you click on it, then "Importing and Feeds", then "I'm subscribing to a calendar feed and my events aren't updated", you will see what I am talking about.
It says they update every few hours, and while some days that may be the case, most of the time it seems much less frequent. Also notice, at the end, they say to wait 24 hours before considering it a problem. So they are sort of admitting that it regularly may take that long.

This message was edited May 14, 2009.
marniyael

Posted: Jul 09, 2009
do toodledos show up in google calendar as anything other than a checkbox in the upper left hand corner? i have been trying to figure this out for days. my tasks don't show up as written tasks on the date, the only thing i see is a checkbox on the left hand corner that when you click brings you to the toodledo front page where you then have to sign in to see anything... what am i doing wrong?
Anders

Posted by marniyael:
do toodledos show up in google calendar as anything other than a checkbox in the upper left hand corner?

There are two ways to get your tasks onto Gcal. What you have set up is the Gcal gadget. To get your tasks into your actual calendar, you have to add the Toodledo iCal subscription to Google Calendar. Go to this page: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_ical.php
Check "Enable Live iCal Link" and save changes. Then copy the webcal URL for Google Calendar. Go to Google Calendar, to your "Other Calendars" and add a new calendar by URL, then paste in the URL you copied, and you're set.
i have been trying to figure this out for days. my tasks don't show up as written tasks on the date, the only thing i see is a checkbox on the left hand corner that when you click brings you to the toodledo front page where you then have to sign in to see anything... what am i doing wrong?

In order to get the gadget working without needing to login each time, read this help topic: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=28
marniyael

sweet! both those suggestions worked perfect! thanks alot anders. any update on the faster updating of toodledos in google calendar?
Anders

Posted by marniyael:
any update on the faster updating of toodledos in google calendar?

Nope. Google doesn't seem to be concerned with their dissatisfied users.
samlimster

Posted: Aug 29, 2009
Is there any way to do 2way syncing with google calendar? I'd love to be able to click and drag to-do items within calendar and have toodle-do automatically update the due date!

Even better, now that google cal has added tasks, can we sync toodle-do items as tasks instead of events in google cal?

Thanks for listening, LOVE LOVE LOVE this app!

Sam.
Anders

Posted: Aug 29, 2009
There is no way to get a 2-way sync, but there have been some requests for Toodledo to support CalDAV which would allow that. If you want, you could add your name to that request, and the following thread would be a good place to do it: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/300/0/what-new-connections-do-you-want-to-see.html

You can manage your tasks from Gcal using Toodledo's Google Calendar gadget, which you can find at the bottom of this page: http://www.toodledo.com/widget/google_gadget.php

It is impossible to sync with Google's tasks because they have no API to other apps to work with. Although, now that they seem to be featuring tasks more prominently, maybe they will finally get around to making one available.
marniyael

Posted: Oct 23, 2009
any update on the faster updating of toodledos in google calendar yet? oct 2009
Anders

That's all in Google's hands. Toodledo publishes any changes you make immediately. It is up to Google to decide how often they want to check for new/changed data.
marniyael

thanks anders. i realize that, but where it stood in june is that google only updates toodledos every 24 hours which makes it not really a usable sync. do you know if this is still the case?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.