ForumsQuestionsQuestions about specific features

Questions about specific features
Andrew

Posted: May 01, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hello. I am a user that is considering switching to Toodledoo from RTM, mainly because I paid for a pro account at RTM, but there haven't been updates to the main product in years. The iPhone application would be the ONLY reason to renew my $25/year subscription. The developer[s] here are amazingly responsive, and I am willing to evaluate their pro product for a year.

However, I do have a few questions about some of the features in Toodledoo:

1. History is very important to me. I realize that I can extend the retention period from 6 months to 2 years with a pro account, but is there any way to export the history if I want to keep it longer? What happens if I forget to renew my pro account for a day?

2. How useful is the iPhone application? I know that with RTM, their iPhone application took months to develop, but when it came out, it was complete. There were very few bugs and it had everything you would expect: multiple ways to input due dates, smart lists, tags manually or by selection, viewing [all] completed tasks etc. It also looks great. Is the Toodledo iPhone application complete as well?

3. The start date feature is unclear to me. If I apply a start date to a task, it will be "hidden". Hidden from what? Will I still see it in my folder view? Will it still appear in my searches? The help doc says "You can always reveal these hidden tasks by turning off the "Hide Future Tasks" filter." Does it mean the one in the account settings or the "Show future tasks" option under the filter list? If the latter, then does the "Hide Future Tasks" account setting still apply, or is it show all or nothing for tasks that are due more than one day in the future?

4. Is it possible to share just one folder at at time rather than the entire to-do list? In RTM I could share my homework list with people that wanted to see it without sharing my personal list at the same time.

5. How easy is it to manage lots of tasks at once with the website? Can you duplicate tasks? Can you edit multiple tasks at once? I read about the "multi-edit" feature, but the way it is implemented is weird. It is very powerful, but why is it imprisoned in the search tab? What if I have a bunch of untagged tasks that have gained importance and deserve to be in their own category? I suppose I would have to gather them in a search like:

Task IS task1
OR Task IS task2
OR Task IS task3

and and only then be able to use the multi-edit feature to tag them all? Can you see why I think it's implemented strangely?

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading. My task list is important to me and I'm sure it is to you too.
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Andrew:
Hello. I am a user that is considering switching to Toodledoo from RTM

A wise move.

1. History is very important to me. I realize that I can extend the retention period from 6 months to 2 years with a pro account, but is there any way to export the history if I want to keep it longer? What happens if I forget to renew my pro account for a day?

You can export all your tasks easily as CSV and other formats. Also, FYI, you can keep your tasks on Toodledo forever if you go with a Pro Plus account. If your Pro account expires, most things will come back once you resubscribe, but older tasks could be lost. See here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=61

2. How useful is the iPhone application?

It is fantastic. I don't know what exactly you mean by complete, but the Toodledo app is outstanding. Another advantage of using Toodledo is that you have more than one option. I have tried at least five different iPhone apps that sync with Toodledo. The official one is still the best in my opinion, but everyone has different preferences, and features they want in an app.

3. The start date feature is unclear to me. If I apply a start date to a task, it will be "hidden". Hidden from what? Will I still see it in my folder view? Will it still appear in my searches? The help doc says "You can always reveal these hidden tasks by turning off the "Hide Future Tasks" filter." Does it mean the one in the account settings or the "Show future tasks" option under the filter list? If the latter, then does the "Hide Future Tasks" account setting still apply, or is it show all or nothing for tasks that are due more than one day in the future?

Future tasks will be hidden from most views until a week before they start I believe, including folder view. I think due date view may be an exception. Searches can be created to show just about anything you want with or without future tasks. There is some info that might help you here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42
One great thing about this site is the filters are always available and easily switched on and off from any view. There are a lot of options, but once you figure it out, you will really appreciate the amount of flexibility and customization that is possible with Toodledo.

4. Is it possible to share just one folder at at time rather than the entire to-do list? In RTM I could share my homework list with people that wanted to see it without sharing my personal list at the same time.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=20

5. How easy is it to manage lots of tasks at once with the website? Can you duplicate tasks? Can you edit multiple tasks at once? I read about the "multi-edit" feature, but the way it is implemented is weird. It is very powerful, but why is it imprisoned in the search tab?

Task duplication is not yet possible, but I believe it is on Toodledo's to do list. I have no problem managing lots of tasks, but you are quite correct that the multiedit feature, while still incredibly useful, would be better if it were available everywhere. This has been suggested to Toodledo, and I hope to see it someday. I think once you get the hang of the search features, you may find it is not all that difficult much of the time to get the tasks you want in a result.

I hope that helps somewhat. Toodledo is the way to go, but I am sure you will find that out for yourself once you get a feel for the site.

This message was edited May 01, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
Anders did a good job answering your questions. I just wanted to add to #4 that you can privately share folders on a case by case basis with different people by using our Pro Sharing tools.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/sharing.php
daniel_fili Post deleted
daniel_fili

Hello Toodledo, do you have in mind to lunch a spanish version?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Translations into all popular languages is something that we want to do in the future.
ABCP

Posted: May 03, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
Translations into all popular languages is something that we want to do in the future.

Hi,

What do you mean by "in the future" ?

Could i be of any help for the french version (i'm french by the way) ?
If so, please feel free to contact me at imprimexprime at gmail.com

Best regards,

BA
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 04, 2009
By "in the future" we mean that this is on our to-do list to implement at some point after today. Thanks for the offer of help. We'll keep you in mind.
matobaa

Posted: May 07, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:

For the Japanese version, Please feel free to contact me at matobaa at gmail.com
Mauricio

Posted: May 08, 2009
I can offer help for the spanish translation, we really need that at our office.

Mauricio
coachmac

Posted: Jun 01, 2009
I also could help for the French version. I'd like to share this with my co-workers.
You can contact me at tulliotullio at me.com
francois.cedelle

Posted: Jun 02, 2009
I also could help for the French version ;)
Denis Bruno

Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Hello all.
I'm new to Toodledo and i'm enjoying it! It's a very good tool.

I'd like to offer my support when you decide to work on the translations. I could help in the portuguese translation, especially the brazilian portuguese.

Keep on the good work!
Proximo

I can help with Gangsta or Mafia Translation.

fugetaboutit could be used for just about every field in the Mafia version.

:-)

Sorry Jake. The voices in my head make me do it.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009.
Anders

I would be willing to work on a pig latin translation.
Andrew

Posted: Sep 14, 2009
I think we've gone a little off topic. =)
Proximo

Posted by Andrew:
I think we've gone a little off topic. =)

Andrew. I was only kidding but it seems that many are supportive of helping with extra languages. Don't think there is much more that can be said on this topic for Jake.

When Jake is ready to tackle a new language, I am sure we will be notified and if he needs help it's nice to know that the users are willing to help him.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009.
Anders

The localization stuff was already off-topic from Andrew's original post. BTW, in an attempt to steer this thread back toward the original topic, there have been a few changes since I first answered those questions, and task duplication is now possible. If you hover your cursor over the check box of a task, a popup will appear with several options including "Clone". Here is the help topic: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=83

If people still want to post localization suggestions, perhaps this thread would be a more appropriate place: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/47/-0/localisation.html
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.