ForumsQuestionsBug report: ToDos 10/20 years out wrap around to the past

Bug report: ToDos 10/20 years out wrap around to the past
garyo

Posted: May 10, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have an appointment that repeats every 10 years ("renew passport"). I completed it, so I check it off. Next time I refresh, I still see it, even though I have "hide future tasks" filter turned on. Why? Because the date has wrapped around to Dec 31, 1969. (I might have checked it off twice due to this, so it might not have wrapped until 20 yrs in the future.) Perhaps you're using a 32-bit Unix date representation. We're not all that far from 2038 when that date representation will fail, but in ToodleDo's case perhaps the wrapping is happening even earlier?
Anders

Interesting. I think you may have figured out this perplexing problem as well: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1916/0/31dec-1969-due-date-error.html
Sure hope Toodledo can get this taken care of in the next 29 years. :)

This message was edited May 10, 2009.
Anders

I just checked, and the last date Toodledo will let me enter for any task is Jan 18, 2038. Anything beyond that just becomes no date. So I guess the problem is if you enter the date through another program, and sync with Toodledo, or maybe it is only recurrences. Anyway, that seems to be the threshold.
And I think garyo is correct about the 32 bit representation of time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

This message was edited May 10, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 2 Reference
Yeah, we don't do anything special, we just use the built in representations of time that our software has. Hopefully people smarter than us will update the software that we use before 2038 comes around. We are flattered that people foresee themselves still using Toodledo in 30 years. I think we'll all have computers in our brains by then, but if there is a need for Toodledo to still exist in 30 years, we'll certainly keep it going and figure out some way to make due-dates work.

In the meantime, if you really need to schedule a task for beyond 2038, I suggest setting it to Jan 18, 2038 and then putting the real due-date in the note field.
garyo

Posted: May 11, 2009
Indeed switching to a different date representation is not that easy, though there are proposals and methods (using an unsigned for time_t is one, 64-bit value is another).

In the interim, perhaps it would be helpful to clamp time_t values to the valid range, on the theory that even if it makes them not correct at least they're still in the future?

if (t1 + tdiff < t_1970)
tresult = t_2038
else
tresult = t1 + tdiff

Another possibility would be to use Julian Day numbers instead of Unix timestamps... but that's more work.

And while we may not be using ToodleDo in 30 years, it's entirely possible that the ToDo lists we make today will get ported forward to other systems. Mine comes from PalmOS in the '90s originally, and that's where I originally entered my 10-year repeating passport expiration reminders. So it's not all that unreasonable to enter a date far in the future for a ToDo.
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
64 bit time is no solution. If you read that Wikipedia article, you will see that they too will have a time rollover on Sunday, December 4 of the year 292,277,026,596. So you're just prolonging the inevitable. :)
Linden

Not only do you tirelessly aid the confused among us, Anders, (including me), but you are also thinking of our descendants LONG in the future. Really quite admirable! :)
Anders

Posted by Toodledo:
I think we'll all have computers in our brains by then, but if there is a need for Toodledo to still exist in 30 years, we'll certainly keep it going and figure out some way to make due-dates work.

A)Will Toodledo be able to sync to our brain computers?
B)Has Toodledo read "The Singularity Is Near"?

@Linden
You're too kind. And of course we can't forget our great^11million grandchildren.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, we are already working on brain-sync. We have a prototype working in the lab :)
Anders

Excellent. Let me know if you need beta testers.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.