ForumsQuestionsSorting Status

Sorting Status
colinmbuckley

Posted: May 13, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I love the new Status field, but I'm a little perplexed at how it sorts. It's not alphabetical (that I can tell). If I had a choice, I'd group them by project-related vs. action-related vs. other, and sort them this way:

Project designations
1. Active
2. Planning
3. Someday

Action designations
4. Next Action
5. Delegated
6. Waiting

Other designations:
7. Hold
8. Postponed
9. Cancelled
10. Reference
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 13, 2008
The status is sorted by the order in which they appear in the drop down list. This isn't alphabetical, but more of a general ordering from most important to least important.
colinmbuckley

Posted: May 14, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
The status is sorted by the order in which they appear in the drop down list. This isn't alphabetical, but more of a general ordering from most important to least important.

That's what I expected, so I must have misinterpreted my initial sort results. I just wish I could find a good way to have project-items sort above action items in my list, without having to add characters to the task names (eg., "+","!", etc.) or mis-using priorities (eg., projects are level 3, sub-projects level 2, etc.).

Has anyone thought of any good ways to get their project items to stand out from their action items?

C
MikeKDidIt

Posted: Jun 03, 2008
Posted by colinmbuckley:
Has anyone thought of any good ways to get their project items to stand out from their action items?

C

I think the Toodledo team got status priorities close to perfect but will you please give us an example of what you mean by project-items? My top-of-the-head thoughts lead me to suggest that you could use a Star to flag your project items or use the View By folder (a.k.a. project) option and use a context filter and sort options to help tailor the fit to your need.
GS

Posted: Sep 16, 2008
I like how colinmbuckley grouped the status. I use "Postponed" as my "tickler" status - a future dated task. I do no use cancelled and recommend removing it. I use hold because it is a deferred task and I can hide it. It could just as easily be called "deferred." I use "Planning to indicate a project name that has subtasks. Active and Planning could be combined into a Status called "Project."
GS

Posted: Oct 23, 2008
Wouldn't it be great to have a status "Notebook" so that the task can become a Notebook item. In this case, my reference tasks would become Notebook items and that makes good sense. The cancelled status or reference status can be changed to notebook.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.