ForumsQuestionsfeature request: make URLs open in a new tab or window

feature request: make URLs open in a new tab or window
roymichaeldonald_13220935

Posted: Aug 27, 2015
Score: 4 Reference
I regularly store URLs in the comments of my tasks, and wish that when I clicked on them that they would open in a new window or a new tab by default. I know how to ctrl-click to make them do this, but it is annoying. And when I forget, then I have to find my way back to toodledo which is annoying. Is this something you have considered doing? What are the odds that you might build that into a future release? Or at least make it a preference that the user can control?

Thanks for considering this.

Otherwise, I LOVE all the improvements that you've been making lately. It is much nicer to look at.

Cheers,

-- mike
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 27, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks
Purveyor

Posted: Aug 28, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Jake, your response implies that this is the first time that you've received such a request.

You received similar requests in 2010:
It would be better if that link was opened in a new Tab of the browser so that Toodledo is left open in its own tab.
Urrrg. How often do you want the link to open in the same window?? For me, the answer is never.
In 2012, you had several requests:
I would also like to see the links open in a new window when I click them, it's kind of annoying to have to manually request them to be in a new window.
Please have at least an option to open links in a new tab. Those who suggest I should do so by shift clicking or right clicking miss the point. Gmail and other web applications open attachments in new tabs. I therefore have to work one way in email (and most of the other web applications I use) and another way in Toodledo. I waste so much time closing a tab to discover I have to reopen Toodledo.
I would very, very, very much prefer URL links to open in a new tab, similar to other common web applications, such as Gmail for example.
You eventually responded with this:
We plan to change this behavior to match gmail. This will be coming in a future update.
In 2014, this:
I NEVER want to replace my Toodledo task list page with a web page, but that's exactly what happens when I click on a link in a task. Please make it EASY to open a new page when I click on a link - e.g., just like everything in Google does (GMail, Docs, ...).
And in 2015:
Please please please!!! Make links from task notes open in a new browser tab. It's really very annoying when I'm opening a link and all of a sudden it just replaces the ToodleDo window.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2015.
boydston01

Score: 3 Reference
Yes, links opening in a new tab/window would be great.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
This is not the first time that I have received this suggestion. The problem is that ctrl+click will open the tab in a new window and click will open it in the current window. So you have a choice. If we changed it so that links always open in a new window then you would no longer have the choice and there are some people who like it to open in the current window.

We are considering making this an account option, but this is still on our todo list.
bjorn

Posted: Jan 02, 2016
Score: 2 Reference
I'm used to the behavior of links opening in new tabs from many other websites. Today this irritated me enough to create a Greasemonkey script to fix this.

The script works in Firefox. It might also work in Chrome with Tampermonkey, though I haven't tested this.

To use in Firefox:
Install the greasemonkey extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
Install the script: https://openuserjs.org/scripts/bjornmartensson/Toodledo_Links_In_New_Tab

Enjoy!
smatics

Posted: Jan 20, 2016
Score: -1 Reference
I would like to add my vote to giving users the option to open links in a new tab as opposed to the current tab. In my opinion, this should be the default as is the case with just about every web interface of this type.

This one seems to have been on the list for quite a long time...
otterbyte

Posted: Apr 15, 2016
Posted by Jake:
This is not the first time that I have received this suggestion. The problem is that ctrl+click will open the tab in a new window and click will open it in the current window. So you have a choice. If we changed it so that links always open in a new window then you would no longer have the choice and there are some people who like it to open in the current window.

We are considering making this an account option, but this is still on our todo list.

Hi Jake,

What about simply flipping the default behavior? Make ctrl+click open in the same tab and click open a new tab. That would line up better with the expected behavior. Would that be easier to code than adding a new option to the settings?

I'd also like to say that I really like the new (not so new now, I know) look for ToodleDo. Very clean and easy to navigate.

Thanks,
Erika
Salgud

Posted: Apr 15, 2016
Score: 3 Reference
Posted by otterbyte:

What about simply flipping the default behavior? Make ctrl+click open in the same tab and click open a new tab. That would line up better with the expected behavior. Would that be easier to code than adding a new option to the settings?

This would create incredible confusion. This would make TD the only app doing it this way, the opposite of every other app I know.
Gnopps

Posted: May 27, 2016
Another vote for a possibility to have links open in new window by default. I've got the same problem where my urls are stored in the task note and I keep forgetting to ctrl-click.
gstahre

Posted: Oct 23, 2016
Yep, this is a real PAIN. Would be nice if this were an option (Open all URLS in new tab)
Miles Baker

Posted: Nov 07, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by gstahre:
Yep, this is a real PAIN. Would be nice if this were an option (Open all URLS in new tab)

Yes, PLEASE!!!!
jmantak

Posted: Nov 10, 2016
Score: -1 Reference
If what makes <ctrl>click "a pain" is the need to use both hands, you can always right click and make a choice. That is, indeed, more than one click, but does retain the flexibility the allows software to benefit boatloads of users with different keyboard/mouse usage preferences.
*and* there are all kinds of default action preference choices in all the various browsers.
Olivir2015

Posted: Nov 11, 2016
Or middle-button click on the link...

Posted by jmantak:
If what makes <ctrl>click "a pain" is the need to use both hands, you can always right click and make a choice. That is, indeed, more than one click, but does retain the flexibility the allows software to benefit boatloads of users with different keyboard/mouse usage preferences.
*and* there are all kinds of default action preference choices in all the various browsers.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2016.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.