ForumsQuestionsQuick Add Syntax...

Quick Add Syntax...
insanum

Posted: Nov 11, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
I did a search and found some old threads asking for this but there was no traction.

I'd like to see the email syntax available when entering tasks via the quick add box on the website. The less I have to use the mouse the better. :-)

Thanks!
Olivir2015

Posted: Nov 12, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I don't think there is any syntax for the Quick add. It's just for entering the title of the task, which then gets added to whatever view are in on the top line, so that you can immediately edit the fields.
insanum

Posted: Nov 12, 2015
Posted by insanum:
I did a search and found some old threads asking for this but there was no traction.

I'd like to see the email syntax available when entering tasks via the quick add box on the website. The less I have to use the mouse the better. :-)

Thanks!

I forgot to add. Todoist supports this and it makes sense for Toodledo to do the same to remain competitive.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2015.
Olivir2015

Posted: Nov 13, 2015
I am not sure if this is needed, as you can immediately edit the fields, but if this would be added, then IMO it should mimic the parser Toodledo is using for e-mailed tasks (@, #, !!! etc.)
Adrien Beau

Posted: Nov 13, 2015
Posted by insanum:
Todoist supports this and it makes sense for Toodledo to do the same to remain competitive.

Note that Todoist support for this is irritating, and one of the reasons I left it for Toodledo.

On one hand it had a date parser that was way too greedy (recognizing common words as dates and deleting them from the task title), on the other hand it still does not support specifying projects in-line, which is a major bother.

So if you choose to implement it, be careful about it. :-)
digital_carver

Posted: Dec 03, 2015
I'd like to bump this up and add one more request for this feature. It's kinda disheartening to see that a request for porting a feature from email to the web UI hasn't been added after years of requests, despite a dev claiming it was a "planned" feature back in 2012!
Bridget K

Posted: Dec 03, 2015
Posted by insanum:

Hey all,

You may want to take a look at the quick add bar in our beta website as we have just started testing a feature very similar to this request. If you are not currently a beta tester you can sign up on our Beta Signup Page. We would love to hear your feedback on this.

:)

Bridget
DanH_2

Posted: Mar 28, 2016
Thanks, Bridget. Is there someplace to go to find out what new features exist in the Beta? It's hard to test and give feedback for features that are not immediately visible.

I see that it is now possible, in the release version as well as the beta, to enter /+3 or /-3 on the Quick Add Task line to set a due date 3 days in the future or the past. If there are other tricks available (especially, to set dates relative to a future date, such as a project due date), I'd like to be the first to know!

Thanks,
Dan
Salgud

Posted by DanH_2:

I see that it is now possible, in the release version as well as the beta, to enter /+3 or /-3 on the Quick Add Task line to set a due date 3 days in the future or the past.

Until I read this message, I had somehow missed this feature. It might be useful, but I don't understand the logic of how it works. If I enter /+3 in the Quick Add line, the default interpretation is a start at 12:03am. How many of us would want to schedule a task to start in minutes after midnight? How often would this be their intent? Three days from today is also listed, but we have to move down in the list to get that. Why? Shouldn't this be the default interpretation of /+3? Can you please explain the thinking on this? Or, just add it to "the list".
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There was no human thinking behind this behavior. When you type "/+3" the software doesn't have much to go on, so it suggests "3 days from now" and "3 minutes into the day". It shows all these options, but for some reason prefers the "3 minutes into the day" option for some unknown reason right now. I'll look into getting the "time interpretation" suggestion to be more appropriate (3pm probably) and have the date get higher priority.
Salgud

Thanks, Jake.
pawelkaleta

Maybe simply /+3d should add 3 days and /+3m should add 3 minutes and so on.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.