I'd like to ask you to add a 3rd Checkbox type

[ ] = not started (current)

[•] = in process (new)

[x] = completed (current)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 12, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you please look at the "Status" field or tag field. I think with one of those you'll be able to do what you want to do. Some people also use the star to mark tasks that are in progress.
Ummagumma

Posted: Dec 13, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
I am using the Star field to indicate tasks that I will work on today. AFAIK many people use it for this.

Status does not = "In process", IMHO. Things like "Next Action", "Active", "Planned" etc. to me specify the order in which these tasks need to be executed, so a task can be both "Next Action" or "Active" and "Not started".

And tags can be used for this, but they take time to apply, change or remove, especially on mobile devices. A checkbox style can be accessed with a single tap.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 13, 2016
It seems to me that this is a "Status", rather than a separate click box. The click box, though more accessible, adds more complexity to the interface, and takes up more space (particularly valuable space on a mobile device). Not to mention that an additional Status would require far less programming time.

If you're a fairly flexible kind of thinker, you could just use one of the statuses that you aren't already using, say Planning, and make that you're "In Progress" Status. I recognize that some people can do this, and others find it an abomination. :)

This message was edited Dec 13, 2016.
Olivir2015

Posted: Dec 14, 2016
My way of dealing with the "In Progress" is combination of start date and timer. Of course, the start date is mostly for hiding tasks till the date I am ready to work on them, the timer does primarily give me a feedback on how time-consuming the completing of the task was, but also tells me I have already done something on the task. If any progress report is needed (like where exactly I have stopped), I use the task note for that.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2016.
cj

Posted: Dec 14, 2016
I kind of like like idea of a progress checkbox ... showing %done. I know - this is sort of a combination of using the Status field and Start Date/Timer ... but having a progress field would indeed be a little productivity booster. So +1 that ....
coolexplorer

Posted: Dec 15, 2016
Posted by cj:
I kind of like like idea of a progress checkbox ... showing %done. I know - this is sort of a combination of using the Status field and Start Date/Timer ... but having a progress field would indeed be a little productivity booster. So +1 that ....

I can see how a progress bar could be a motivator.

An alternate way as per GTD would be to clarify/break down bigger tasks (projects) into bite-able sizes of 5-15-30 minutes each so that we don't need a progress indicator, but just a done or not done check-box .... to progress the project as a whole.
If you turn the checked tasks display on it could show how much of a project is done and what is left, in addition the timings given to each task (if you use that field) could also help show the progress made.

Maybe what can be considered is for the TD program to total the amount of time of all sub-tasks of a Parent (Project), and display the hours of work left.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2016.
Ummagumma

Score: 1 Reference
One of the PIMs I used in the past had this feature. It was extremely useful.

Basically, instead of having a 2-state checkbox (empty or checked), you get a 3-state checkbox - empty, with a thick dot in the middle, and checked.
Salgud

Posted by Ummagumma:
One of the PIMs I used in the past had this feature. It was extremely useful.

Basically, instead of having a 2-state checkbox (empty or checked), you get a 3-state checkbox - empty, with a thick dot in the middle, and checked.

I like that. It makes more sense to me than a separate box, and probably less programming time.
Olivir2015

Posted: Dec 16, 2016
I think that depends on the underlying database - does the corresponding field allow just 0/1 values or tripple state (if there is only single field, of course)? Any change to the DBS structure could be extremely dangerous.

Posted by Salgud:

I like that. It makes more sense to me than a separate box, and probably less programming time.
Ummagumma

Posted by Salgud:

That's what I was proposing, probably not clear enough. I am not asking to add yet another checkbox, but to change the existing one from 2-state to 3-state.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2016.
Salgud

Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by Salgud:

That's what I was proposing, probably not clear enough. I am not asking to add yet another checkbox, but to change the existing one from 2-state to 3-state.

Re-reading your original post, I misinterpreted it. It's a good idea as presented.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
It is an interesting idea. I'll put it on our todo list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.