ForumsQuestionsNew Layout

New Layout
cj

Posted: May 15, 2017
Score: 2 Reference
I cannot comment enough on this. The Design - while pretty ... really ignores some basic tenets of UX .. and particularly - reduces the productivity from the old to the new design.

Mostly it has to do with forcing the user to go back and forth from using the mouse to keyboard, AND in eliminating many useful keyboard "shortcuts"

for instance

OLD UI
i use to be able to change the priority by merely tapping 0 1 2 3 while in the priority column.
I could just change a few priorities by tapping 1 and then up arrow ... for a lot of entries
(same for contexts and goal! ... first letter)

NEW UI
I need to click and find the right priority in the list and click again ...
if i want to change the next one ... find, focus point click choose click ...
oh yeah, and the clever UI is much slower now.

OLD UI
If I wanted to change a few dates in my hotlist for instance (from Monday to Thursday)
I would merely paste Thursday into the Due Date picker (ctrl-v) and tap ctrl-up arrow and paste to the next field etc. so quick - hands never leaving the keyboard

New UI
OMG ...
paste. enter. hand on mouse. click on the duedate field above. hand off mouse. ctrl paste. enter. hand on mouse ...
(and don't suggest the 'search and replace' ... it is impractical for "misc" tasks )

anyway I could rant on and on.

It's like dating a supermodel with an IQ of 70. Sure looks stunning, but after a short while you really yearn for an experience that doesn't tax your brains so much.

And, it sucks since everyone is cooing about the pretty new model, while you're the one saying "yes, she's gorgeous but we hired her to be my assistant, and her 70 IQ means I will have to do more work than ever before"

This message was edited May 15, 2017.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
You can still use the keyboard exclusively. In fact, we have tried to make it easier to use the keyboard by adding more keyboard shortcuts, but I will admit that we need to do a little more work in this area. The one thing you need to know is that to support the new system, we had to change some of the keyboard shortcuts, so you will need to relearn how it works a little bit.

Changing priority:
Use the arrow keys to highlight the priority. Type "return" to enter edit mode. Type "1" to change the priority. Type "return" to save changes. Repeat. No mouse necessary.

Changing dates:
Use the arrow keys to highlight the due-date. Type "return" to enter edit mode. Type or paste new date. Type "return" to save changes. Repeat. No mouse necessary.

I hope this helps explain how to do it with the new system.

This message was edited May 15, 2017.
cj

Score: 1 Reference
I think you are missing the point (and addressing the ONE example i gave).
the point is that - even with your "suggestion" ... the new UX forces 3 times the amount of interaction than the old ... using arrow keys to select something is just as bad as forcing one to use a mouse - at least when it comes to toodledo.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted by cj:
...using arrow keys to select something is just as bad as forcing one to use a mouse...

Can you please explain how you would like to select something without using either the mouse or arrow keys? Im not sure I fully understand your suggestion yet, but I want to.
boydston01

Posted by spy:
Several features of the new design are appealing, but here is the deal-killer for me. In the current layout, when entering a new task I never have to touch my mouse. I can simply tab from field to field, enter the first letter of the folder I want my task in, enter the first couple letters of a due date (e.g., "Fri"), and hit enter. In the new layout I have to reach for the mouse to choose the folder, date, etc., from a drop-down list. That is major friction. On top of that, there is an annoying lag after a selection is made. The thing I love best about ToodleDo is it suits my super-fast, keyboard-driven entry style, something I suspect is common to many TD users. Please don't take that away.

First, let me reiterate: "The thing I love best about ToodleDo is it suits my super-fast, keyboard-driven entry style, something I suspect is common to many TD users. Please don't take that away." YES!

Second, I think they are actually in the process of implementing more fuller keyboard navigation of tasks. Notice that you can now "select" a task with the keyboard arrows and make changes to that tasks with leaving the keyboard.

With this, they are changing some keyboard shortcuts and, I guess, they need to make the hot keys more "global"—so most keyboard shortcuts are always active, even when editing/adding a task. Therefore, when you add/edit a task, you have to hit spacebar to activate editing the field. So you hit space, then first letter of folder. Space, then fri...

I don't think they are done implementing the new keyboard functionality so there is definitely some problems right now. But if we get complete keyboard navigation for some small tradeoffs (like hiting space before entering due date) then I am game! My personal example is that I can no longer type "2 weeks" for due date—now I have to type "in 2 weeks."
boydston01

Posted by Jake:
Type "return" to enter edit mode. Type "1" to change the priority. Type "return" to save changes.

Isn't it supposed to be "space" to enter edit mode? I feel you might need a little more uniformity here since hitting enter is only for saving when creating a new task. IOW, while adding a new task, if you hit "enter" to enter edit mode, it saves the task instead.

I definitely think enter should remain as save, because it makes adding new tasks very quickly (no need to tab to the save button to finish). So maybe settle on spacebar for field edit mode.

Maybe it is not a big deal though. Also I see one scenario where you cannot have uniformity: entering a new task really needs "tab" for cycling thru the fields; arrow keys would be much too arduous.

Another small inconsistency is spacebar does not enter edit more for task title.

This message was edited May 16, 2017.
Damones 5-point plan

Posted: Jun 14, 2017
Hello, is there a way to navigate to different folders using the keyboard instead of the mouse? I know if you type "o" it will take you to folders view but then, do you have to reach for the mouse again?

Thanks, T
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes. In any view, you can use the numbers 1-9 to select the first 9 items in the sidebar.
cj

Posted by Jake:
Posted by cj:
...using arrow keys to select something is just as bad as forcing one to use a mouse...

Can you please explain how you would like to select something without using either the mouse or arrow keys? Im not sure I fully understand your suggestion yet, but I want to.

Sorry - I missed this question to me:

My answer:
I should have worded it differently. In many cases using a mouse or arrow keys to select, for instance, from a dropdown list of 50 contexts ... is cumbersome and time consuming. Easier if I can type the first letter or number. (especially for the date picker)

Often instead of picking - I know exactly what I want and will PASTE it into successful entries (pure keyboard) - for instance, when I want to paste TOMORRoW (or THURSDAY) into a series of misc tasks .... right now, it takes an easy paste + ctrl-UP repeat keystrokes ... in the New UI ... this takes 10x the effort.
Dr.Asimov

Posted: Jun 20, 2017
Please make the New Layout permanent, or at least a setting for the user so that he’ll never ever have to deal with it again. Every time I switch to my Lists and then back to my Tasks, what I see is the old tasks page with the exclamation mark icon telling me to switch to the ‘New Layout’ again. Annoying.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 20, 2017
You can already make the new layout permanent. This is an option in your account settings.
cj

Posted: Jun 21, 2017
Posted by spy:
Several features of the new design are appealing, but here is the deal-killer for me. In the current layout, when entering a new task I never have to touch my mouse. I can simply tab from field to field, enter the first letter of the folder I want my task in, enter the first couple letters of a due date (e.g., "Fri"), and hit enter. In the new layout I have to reach for the mouse to choose the folder, date, etc., from a drop-down list. That is major friction. On top of that, there is an annoying lag after a selection is made. The thing I love best about ToodleDo is it suits my super-fast, keyboard-driven entry style, something I suspect is common to many TD users. Please don't take that away.

I couldn't upvote this comment again (or 10 times) - so I am just posting it ...

How many agree with this?
EEW

Posted: Jun 27, 2017
Hello,

I have to agree with you both. I'm also a heavy keyboard user and for some things, the new layout suits me better (e.g. navigation with arrows) but for others the new layout is more complicated or less functional.

My personal example: I have some activities that I execute periodically on saturdays and I decide when to repeat when I execute it. So, instead of completing a task I change its start date for 2 (or 3, or 4) saturdays from now. Old layout: 4 sat, New layout: I have to use mouse to count and change it.

Another example: how can I complete the current task? This is something pretty usual on other interfaces.

Keep up the great job! Don't take these complains as a pure criticism - we just need to increase the IQ of our beautiful/powerful assistant.

Rgds,
EduW
PetrV

Posted by Jake:
You can already make the new layout permanent. This is an option in your account settings.

Where exactly?
pawelkaleta

Profile & Settings / Tasks / Default Views
PetrV

Posted: Jun 29, 2017
Posted by pawelkaleta:
Profile & Settings / Tasks / Default Views

Thanks!
François Trahan

Posted: Jul 28, 2017
Lets start with the obvious: Like everybody else, I really like the look and feel of the new UI, but task input is a show stopper. Even with the suggestions here, it is so painfully slow that there is no way I could use it like that.

That being said, I had an idea that could give the "quick add" a bit of a kick.

For a New task:

In the quick add box, instead of having to type a /, a few chars, and then tab to complete... and then a space... and then repeat... what about this:

1- You input your task description.
2- You input a separator (/// or something)
3- The auto-complete list immediately pops up, and STAYS OPEN.
4- Typing narrows down the choice, tab inserts the value and a space (or marker or slash or whatever)
5- As you keep typing, this keeps going.

This would:
- Greatly reduce the amount of typing (in fact, the same as it use to be, since we would use TAB to navigate)
- Allow us a visual feedback that we didn't forget anything (i.e. auto-complete list not throwing contexts, folders, etc at us).
- Would be compatible with the current mode, except if someone wants to input a task with a literal ///

Admittedly, it is not as efficient as the current UI if you consider that auto-complete is more precise when you narrow it down to, let's say, only folders... oh, and still no "comments". I guess some more /// comment, lines, whatever /// could do the trick.

For those who miss task editing and especially pasting values in:

You could allow to edit the task as if it was pasted in the quick add box...

- You click on a little widget
- A textbox opens with the same behaviour as the quick add
- You edit or paste the stuff you like
- Bonus if clicking on a piece of text detects the boundaries of the actually part constituting a value and selects it (so you can paste/type over it)
- When you press enter, the values get replaced
- Extra crazy bonus: offer a view with two columns: Task name, quick edit... now that is a power-paste tool !
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 28, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. We'll think about ways to make it faster.
bobmac1547_1391065183

Posted: Aug 02, 2017
Where can I find a list of all the changes in the new Tasks section layout. Right now, it's a surprise each time. I'm too old for surprises!!!

Also, I like to have the trashcan all the way over to the right so I don't hit it accidentally (even though there's a confirmation). Is there any way to move it from it's default location?

This message was edited Aug 02, 2017.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 02, 2017
Sorry, there are too many changes to list. The trashcan icon cannot currently be moved back to the right under the new layout, but you can hide the trashcan in your account settings, and then it will be buried inside the action menu instead.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.