ForumsQuestionsPros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.

Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
prusatomas

Posted: Oct 30, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
A short note:
User @prasta mentioned ClickUp in this thread: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/26263/4/feature-roadmap-and-new-pricing-plans.html
It's an interesting service but I miss an advanced searches (basic boolean operators are planned - https://feedback.clickup.com/feature-requests/p/advanced-filters-or-conditions and https://feedback.clickup.com/feature-requests/p/combine-filters-with-boolean-formulas).

MyLifeOrganized is really interesting app with a different model of payment but a bit expensive and it's dependent on the upgrage of the software.

In both of them I like their feature of dependencies.
Purveyor

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Bevier:
No one is talking about MyLifeOrganized? It seems that it can do everything Toodledo can do and more with no compromises.
It is the most powerful Windows task manager for individual use:

Unlimited levels of subtasks
Outline View, with ability to use hierarchical folders
Easily re-arrange and edit multiple tasks
Advanced filtering, sorting and grouping (similar to Outlook)
Highly customizable views and workspaces
Ability to simultaneously search task name, tag, context and notes
Easily specify which completed tasks to hide, based on completed date and time
Ability to edit "Date Completed"
Ability to specify order of subtask completion
Task dependencies
Specify Goals and Projects
Specify tasks/projects/goals to be reviewed regularly
Track project percentage completed
Urgency, Importance and Effort fields
Specify task recurring more than once per day
Specify end date or number of occurrences for recurring tasks
Skip occurrence of recurring task
Re-use sets of tasks/subtasks as templates
Flags and Icons, in addition to Contexts and Tags
Conditional formatting based on practically unlimited number of rules
Specify fonts, size, colors, gradients
Customizable themes
Customizable date formats based on time frames
Customizable "Computed Score Priority"
Nested contexts
Contexts can be linked to Locations
Open/closed hours for contexts
(Contexts can be configured so that tasks "auto-magically" appear in the list when the specified Context "opens")
Markdown support in task notes
Create links to local files
Bookmarks to specified tasks
Customizable keyboard shortcuts
Autoarchive at specified intervals to specified location
PocketMod Mini-Booklet for compact printing
Customizable Outlook sync and Google Calendar sync
iOS and Android apps
Cloud sync and WiFi sync

No web-based interface
No Mac app
No multi-user ability
Complex interface
Overkill for most users

This message was edited Oct 30, 2018.
Bevier

Posted by Purveyor:
Posted by Bevier:
No one is talking about MyLifeOrganized? It seems that it can do everything Toodledo can do and more with no compromises.
It is the most powerful Windows task manager for individual use:

Unlimited levels of subtasks
Outline View, with ability to use hierarchical folders
Easily re-arrange and edit multiple tasks
Advanced filtering, sorting and grouping (similar to Outlook)
Highly customizable views and workspaces
Ability to simultaneously search task name, tag, context and notes
Easily specify which completed tasks to hide, based on completed date and time
Ability to edit "Date Completed"
Ability to specify order of subtask completion
Task dependencies
Specify Goals and Projects
Specify tasks/projects/goals to be reviewed regularly
Track project percentage completed
Urgency, Importance and Effort fields
Specify task recurring more than once per day
Specify end date or number of occurrences for recurring tasks
Skip occurrence of recurring task
Re-use sets of tasks/subtasks as templates
Flags and Icons, in addition to Contexts and Tags
Conditional formatting based on practically unlimited number of rules
Specify fonts, size, colors, gradients
Customizable themes
Customizable date formats based on time frames
Customizable "Computed Score Priority"
Nested contexts
Contexts can be linked to Locations
Open/closed hours for contexts
(Contexts can be configured so that tasks "auto-magically" appear in the list when the specified Context "opens")
Markdown support in task notes
Create links to local files
Bookmarks to specified tasks
Customizable keyboard shortcuts
Autoarchive at specified intervals to specified location
PocketMod Mini-Booklet for compact printing
Customizable Outlook sync and Google Calendar sync
iOS and Android apps
Cloud sync and WiFi sync

No web-based interface
No Mac app
No multi-user ability
Complex interface
Overkill for most users

Oh, wow. You're the best. That's just what I was looking for. Thank you.
shelbyp

Posted by prusatomas:
A short note:
User @prasta mentioned ClickUp in this thread: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/26263/4/feature-roadmap-and-new-pricing-plans.html
It's an interesting service but I miss an advanced searches (basic boolean operators are planned - https://feedback.clickup.com/feature-requests/p/advanced-filters-or-conditions and https://feedback.clickup.com/feature-requests/p/combine-filters-with-boolean-formulas).

MyLifeOrganized is really interesting app with a different model of payment but a bit expensive and it's dependent on the upgrage of the software.

In both of them I like their feature of dependencies.

ARe you sure it is expensive? From what I see I can purchase the pro for a one off 60$ and then yearly 15$ for the sync subscription. The android app will cost me another 25 so indeed the first year I am paying 100$ but after that it drops to 15 (I think).

One difference of MLO is that it is not a web based application it uses a GUI which needs to be installed. This is a bit strange nowdays as most stuff is web based. My concern here is that most GUI type applications are becoming obsolete and are being replaced by web based counterparts. On the other hand MLO indeed does just about everything.

I am still waiting for RTM support to try to get my TD xml file to import. For my needs I can pretty much accomplish everything with tags and saved searches and IFTTT (I agree 100% though that things like context, goal etc definitely help having the tool impose structure!).
prusatomas

Posted: Oct 31, 2018
I understand, you are right that the annual fee for Cloud Sync Service is $ 18.09 (incl. VAT). But the initial investment is a bit expensive: $ 72.54 (PC) + $ 30.19 (Android) = $ 102.73 plus MLO Cloud $ 18.09 which is for the first year $ 120.82 (incl. VAT). The question is how much the upgrade to the next version is. Today, the price of the upgrade from version 4 Pro to version 5 Pro is $ 30 plus VAT. And I need to know for the comparison of prices when or how often the upgrade will be.

I absolutely agree with your second paragraph. I like a web interface of task managements, I need to open my tasks not only on my phone or on my pc but also on pc without desktop app (even Outlook has web interface), I also add e-mails to my task management from GMail website via Chrome plugin, etc. A desktop app is sometimes useful, e.g. at home or at work but this is so old-school as the only way :-)

RTM has boolean operators which is crucial for me but I miss dependencies. It is the same situation in Toodledo that's why RTM is the very interesting for my task management. ClickUp has dependencies but the lack of advanced searches with basic boolean operators (only AND, without OR and NOT) is unacceptable. I have a half of year with Toodledo Gold subscription, so I can wait for planned integration this function into ClickUp.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2018.
Ummagumma

MLO is interesting but I could not locate any information on their servers location. Not that I looked very hard. Their headquarters seem to be in Ukraine.

AFAIK RTM is located in Australia.

prusatomas

Something old from 2014: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mylifeorganized/zlRdXVBlABM (infrastructure is located in US because AWS).

EDIT:
"We are using Amazon Web Services for building our Cloud infrastructure. AWS data centers are located in USA and EU and well known for their reliability and high performance." Quotation from this site: https://www.mylifeorganized.net/cloud.shtml

Purveyor

RTM is based in San Francisco.
See About.

The founders are from Australia.
MM1772

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by marcelmooij:
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Hi DrFrank, I tried the import from current.csv but I got an error-message: "sorry this file doesn't contain valid task data"

Try importing a Toodledo backup, not a Toodledo exported .csv file.
shelbyp

Posted: Nov 01, 2018
Regarding RTM import, you need to to use the TD backup as MM1772 has pointed out (confirmed by their support). it is working for me now. Obtain the file from here:

https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php

where you can click "Download backup file" to download your file.

NOTE: RTM is heavily tags/saved search based so for someone like me who uses contexts foldersetc, the way to go is to assign meaningful tags before exporting. That way when you import you can setup the saved searches based on tags to have a similar setup to TD.

I definitely like contexts folders etc, but all of this can be replaced by multi level subtasks/tags and saved searches in RTM. It's a different way of working and wlll need some getting used to. I will be testing actively this week.

Looking for to the TD roadmap though which should be out today...
Purveyor

Announcement from Todoist:
The price for Todoist will increase from $29 to $36 USD per year ($3/user/month billed annually).
Note
Customers who upgraded to Todoist Premium prior to December 1st, 2018 will have access to Todoist Premium legacy pricing forever
(US$29/year). Customers will only lose access to the legacy pricing if they cancel their Premium subscription
https://get.todoist.help/hc/en-us/articles/360001389039

This message was edited Nov 01, 2018.
MM1772

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
I have not tried this personally, since I had already copied over tasks through other means. Would be interested in success others have.

I tried it and it worked well. Took only about 3 minutes for the import of 3700+ tasks. Todoist, on the other hand, imported only .CSV files and if you used the task's note feature -- which I did extensively, you have to edit the .CSV file, moving the note to a new row (called note) under the task it applies to. I sorted the .CSV by folder name and made separate .CSV files for each folder so I could just do the most important ones first.

I'm doing sort of a parallel test between Toodledo and RTM. That is, I'm entering new tasks in RTM, but comparing it to Toodledo for tasks that I imported. By the time my Gold subscription on TD runs out, I should have a good idea of which tool works best for me.

So far, here's what I found:

Similar:
Yes, "Folders" are called "Lists" in RTM. They seem to work the same way, but are just called by a different name.

RTM has Start dates and Due dates. I had tried using Start dates in Toodledo, but didn't really find them useful for the way I work, so I haven't tried them with RTM yet.

RTM has an email interface, but I haven't investigated that yet. It says it interfaces with Outlook, but I don't know if that means Outlook tasks or Outlook calendar. I need an interface with Outlook calendar. I'm wondering if I can configure my Google account so that it subscribes to my Outlook calendar and gets RTM tasks so that I can see if I'm scheduling a task on an already busy day without switching tabs to look at a calendar and then my task manager.

Pluses:
I like their views. I use Today and This Week most.

I love their multi-select, though it's different enough that I have to pay attention to what I'm doing right now.

Unlimited task history.

Minuses:

No Contexts. You need to use tags, which can get messy, I'd guess, but I honestly haven't played with them.

No calendar view on the left like TD has.

When you edit the due date, the choices are Today, Tomorrrow, next 3 days, 1 week, no due date, and pick from calendar. There are many times I reschedule a date for 1 year. For example, "Put up Halloween decorations": I click "1 year", then look to see whether that's a weekday or weekend and adjust as needed. With RTM, I have to pick from calendar and click 11 times to get to the same month in the next year. This is driving me bonkers. Why don't I use repeating tasks? I don't know. Maybe they weren't available or I didn't understand them when they first appeared in TD. So, obviously it's not a TD problem, but a "me" problem.

The quick and easy import means you import all those tasks you really should delete. At least with Todoist I was looking at each folder (which is a "Project") and saying, "Do I really need this online? Maybe I'll just keep the .CSV on my home computer in case I need to reference this folder."

No export as .CSV. The only choice is JSON. Most of the task managers I see accept .CSV imports. (Toodledo, thankfully will import .JSON files, so if I decide to stay with Toodledo, I can, though I may have to delete all my old Toodledo tasks before I import the .JSON file.)

Purveyor

Posted by MM1772:
It says it interfaces with Outlook, but I don't know if that means Outlook tasks or Outlook calendar. I need an interface with Outlook calendar. I need an interface with Outlook calendar. I'm wondering if I can configure my Google account so that it subscribes to my Outlook calendar and gets RTM tasks so that I can see if I'm scheduling a task on an already busy day without switching tabs to look at a calendar and then my task manager.
RTM syncs with Outlook Tasks.
Check out the Synchronization section in MilkSync for Microsoft Outlook.

And Google Calendar.
MM1772

Another minus for RTM that I just remembered:

It doesn't have the extra modules that Toodledo has:

Notes - I use this a lot.

Outlines - I never used this, though.

Lists - Ditto. I found that if I needed a list, I either needed a separate app (for example, grocery shopping) or I could use subtasks (which I ended up not using) or the task's note.

Habits - I never got in the habit (no pun intended) of using this.

It also doesn't have these fields:

Goal
Star - I use the Star field, but I should probably just reserve Priority 1 for those tasks.

And yes, Toodledo does have a 1-week view (and other views), but for some reason, I never used them. This, to me, is a plus for TD.
Purveyor

Posted by MM1772:
Another minus for RTM that I just remembered:
It also doesn't have these fields ...
Earlier in this topic I summarized the main differences between Toodledo and RTM:
See https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26261/-118043/read.html#jump

pawelkaleta

Posted by Purveyor:
Announcement from Todoist:
The price for Todoist will increase from $29 to $36 USD per year ($3/user/month billed annually).
Note
Customers who upgraded to Todoist Premium prior to December 1st, 2018 will have access to Todoist Premium legacy pricing forever
(US$29/year). Customers will only lose access to the legacy pricing if they cancel their Premium subscription
https://get.todoist.help/hc/en-us/articles/360001389039

This is interesting. Looking at their answer for question "Why have you adjusted the pricing?" similar "story" behind appears, i.e. pay now for promises in the future mixed with some "blah blah blah"-ing:

"This is our first step in a longer-term plan to make Todoist’s Premium and Business pricing structures much more simple and value-driven. We want to provide greater value to our free users from the moment they sign up, and then scale up access to the more advanced feature set for our Premium and Business users. The execution of this plan will likely take place in several phases throughout the coming year.

While we plan to roll out new plans and features in several phases throughout 2019, the price change on December 1st, 2018 is the only price modification we’ll make."

gtappend

Posted: Nov 02, 2018
Score: 2 Reference
However similar the "story" may be, the pricing policy certainly isn't!

Todoist are increasing from $29 to $36 per year, not tripling the price. And, more importantly, current premium customers remain locked into their current price so that the increase only affects new customers.

I think that is a crucial difference. If Toodledo hat done the same thing and locked Silver and Gold customers into their prices rather than just until the end of their current subscription, there would have been a lot less discussion about the increase.
Purveyor

Posted: Nov 02, 2018
And one more difference: Todoist is allowing free users to upgrade now to a paid subscription at the current price of $29 per year before the price increases on December 1.

When Toodledo announced that the price will increase in 2019 for renewing subscriptions, the price for new subscribers was immediately increased to $60/year for Silver and $90/year for Gold.

This message was edited Nov 02, 2018.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.