ForumsQuestionsSOLVED - Best Alternative to a REAL Toodledo Apple Watch App

SOLVED - Best Alternative to a REAL Toodledo Apple Watch App
mlb32704

Posted: Feb 05, 2020
Score: 0 Reference
Despite several posts over several years at this point, there is no update on the availability of an updated Apple Watch app/complication for Toodledo coming any time soon. All that I have been looking for is an Apple Watch app that would display my running list of Toodledo tasks for the current day, that's it. Having the ability to add/modify/delete/mark complete on the Apple Watch and have it update Toodledo would be a bonus, but not required from my standpoint.

I decided to put some serious time into looking at all of the possible alternatives. I have a piece of software that allows me to populate/synchronize Outlook and Google Tasks with Toodledo data, so there were a number of ways for me to come at this. I was basically looking for a to do list app that works on Apple Watch, then worked my way back from those solutions to see which if any could play with Toodledo, or one of the other apps to be populated and synchronized with Toodledo data.

I could not figure out how to make Any.do, Todoist, TickTick or Things to work for these purposes. Either the account required a premium membership to just to find out if it would even work, or the vendor states that they don't talk to this app or that app, or it didn't play with Windows (Things), or I could import data but not sync regularly, or it just flat out didn't work. I wasn't looking to spend money or do damage in the way of duplicate/lost data, luckily I was able to test those four solutions out pain free.

So what did work? 2DO. It's free, it was easy to set up, works like a charm, syncs regularly, and provides me with the daily list of tasks view on my Apple Watch that I was looking for. AND it syncs changes made on the Apple Watch (add/delete/modify/marked completed) with the actual Toodledo list, so that's an added bonus. Sold!

Bottom line - assuming that Toodledo won't be releasing an Apple Watch app/complication any time soon, 2DO is your best bet imho.
mlb32704

Update - the 2Do - Toodledo sync only works if the 2Do app is open and you’re literally looking at it. Not a good solution. 2Do wants me to use Dropbox for real time/background updating but that would mean using 2Do instead of Toodledo which is not an option for me. Back to the drawing board....
mlb32704

Another update - I'm going with the following temporary workaround...

Using GSyncIt to sync Toodledo tasks with Outlook tasks, and Outlook tasks with Google Tasks

Using the GTasks app to view on Apple Watch.

Only drawback so far is no complication for GTasks so I have to select it as an app from my App Layout but not too big of a deal.

Maybe Toodledo will get around to a simple actual list of daily tasks for the Apple Watch some time soon?
Ummagumma

From what I recall, Outlook will not allow you to have a task with Start Date but no Due Date. It will add a Due date whenever you open the task in it.

If you are using Start dates for task visibility filtering and Due date for actual deadlines, this is not going to work too well.

2Do is a fantastic app but the limitation of Toodledo sync has been there from day one. The developer blames Toodledo's limitations on the number of sync tokens, if I recall correctly.
mlb32704

Thanks for the update U.

My final update for the evening...just spent the last hour deleting hundreds of dupes in my Toodledo "all tasks" list. This after I tried numerous ways to clean up old Toodledo data that just kept on populating Google Tasks every time I synced. And that after I deleted thousands of completed Toodledo items that it turns out I didn't have to delete in the first place.

The integration I worked on this evening with GTasks just doesn't work. 2DO doesn't work. Any.do, Todoist, TickTick, Things, you name 'em, none of them work. How hard can it be to put out a basic app that simply shows you the current list of tasks for the day, or something similar? Maybe keeping it to a simple list is the solution to getting a solution out sooner?

Bottom line - until Toodledo puts out another Apple Watch app/complication, I'm done trying to find an alternative. There isn't one.

This message was edited Feb 05, 2020.
Ummagumma

Posted: Feb 06, 2020
> How hard can it be to put out a basic app that simply shows you the current list of tasks for the day, or something similar?

It's method dependent. You could have it working with anything depending on the method you use to select tasks for the day.

E.g. I use Due date and Top priority attributes. Any tasks with Due date on Today will get reviewed and either selected to be worked on, or rescheduled, any task with Top priority will be worked on today. (I don't have much use for Priorities otherwise. But the same could be achieved using tags).

Since practically every task manager supports Due Dates and Priorities, this method works with all of them. It's just the matter of finding one that provides the most bells and whistles (e.g. filtered views).

When a task has a real deadline, I just put it in the subject line in front of text, in YY.MM.DD format (so that it could be sorted in due date sequence).

This message was edited Feb 06, 2020.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.