ForumsQuestionsCustomizing The All Tasks View For Printing

Customizing The All Tasks View For Printing
robert

Posted: Aug 17, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
When I am in the "All Tasks" view, everything is awesome. I love how the tasks are grouped into importance levels. I print this out once a week and keep it on my desk.

The problem is that I have a bunch of tasks in a folder called "Recurring" Those tasks cloud up my main view, I don't want to see them at all if they are in the future. When I click the "Hide Future Tasks" it just isn't enough... I want all of the recurring items hidden if they are in the future.

How can I accomplish this so I can print them out?
Linden

If you're just using due dates, "Hide Future Tasks" hides anything due more than 7 days out. The downside is that anything due in the future but within 7 days is still displayed.

If those recurring tasks don't need to be done until the due date, you might want to use a start date. "Hide Future Tasks" will hide any tasks with a start date after today.

Another option, if you don't want to add a column you aren't currently using, would be to make a custom saved search. That way you can choose what due dates are excluded. I think "Checked off = no" and "Due Date is not in the next = 1000 days" get the list you want. Then you can set the sort order to the same as your "all tasks" list and print.

(1000 is an arbitrary number of days I use to make sure even stuff I've got set for the next year doesn't show up by accident. If you have tasks set for 3-years out, this might be a problem...)
robert

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply! I think I have got it, I'm going to attach a screenshot because maybe it will help someone else!

Anders

I use Start Dates for this kind of filtering, but as Linden mentioned a saved search would work very well also: http://www.toodledo.com/info/search.php
You could even make it a search to show all tasks that are not complete, but have no repeat, or all tasks that are not complete in every Folder except your Recurring Folder.
Pro users also have access to Toodledo's printable, customizable booklet. It sounds like regular screen prints work fine for you, but I thought I would mention it.
Anders

That saved search should work fine. I'm not sure the 1000 days part is necessary since it means simply that you want to see tasks from the recurring folder only if they are due more than three years in the future, but perhaps you have some use for that.
Linden

Good point, Anders. I use the 1000 days for start dates on the saved searches, since you can't use filters there. It shows me anything that has already started or never had a start date.

The challenge is that there isn't a search option that says "Date is before X" as a relation. If I enter "Date is before TODAY" it remembers the exact date, so the search quickly becomes useless. The goal of choosing 1000 is to avoid any future tasks from being displayed.

I did forget to note that for recurring tasks that are due today to appear, "Due date IS in the next = 0 days" may be needed in there somewhere.

If there's a more efficient search that excludes tasks set farther in the future than today without excluding dateless items, I'd love the tip!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.