ForumsQuestionsToodledo still alive?

Toodledo still alive?
bandit

Posted: Dec 29, 2020
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by mlb32704:
This post is for basic users, power users need not bother....

Toodledo is my to do list. It enabled me to move off of Palm to iOS in 2010 and I've been using it ever since. I am a BASIC user. I sort tasks by date then tags like 0001, 0002, etc. to prioritize within any given day. I use lots of standard and advanced repeats, and plenty of notes attached to tasks, but that's pretty much it. I use the Notebook section too, but there's a million other options for that out there, I've used Evernote in the past, it's fine. I really don't use any other Toodledo functionality albeit I do acknowledge that there is a ton available to power users. I read someone in the forums going on and on about how Toodledo should ignore basic users who are bringing everyone else down, lmao. OK, I guess that I'm guilty of keeping Toodledo in the Dark Ages. I get upset when they change a font :) Hey, I don't need the added functionality, sorry.

In any case, these are the alternatives that I've been evaluating:

TickTick
Google Tasks
ToDoist
Remember the Milk
Any.do
Microsoft To Do
2Do
GoodTask

Based on my own personal analysis and experience so far, for basic users such as myself that are looking to get as close as possible to the functionality, look and feel of Toodledo, my frontrunner is TickTick, with RTM a distant second. Each one of the others have some issue that are showstoppers to me, but someone else might find them a better fit. Again, my opinion, just looking to help out others here.

I wish everyone here good luck, a safe and happy holiday season, and hopefully Toodledo will wake up and at least have the courtesy to let its loyal base know wth is going on at some point.

mlb32704, thank you for all of this research and your thoughts. I use Toodledo exactly as you describe, and have been using it for a very, very long time. For my purposes, I really like the functionality it provides. All of these posts about Toodledo perhaps just “disappearing” make me really nervous, since I would be totally lost (and very upset), if my nearly 400+/- tasks ever disappeared. I don’t want to change platforms, but am exporting my active tasks on a regular basis, and starting to look at other options, which I will “test” (if there are free versions).

There are many loyal Toodledo users, so if it’s in trouble, it would be great if someone else would buy it and keep it going!
DreC98

Posted: Dec 29, 2020
Score: 0 Reference
Man sucks that toodledo is going this way, cause I absolutely love this app and service.

Anyhow I still have to start planning what my move will be when the app goes down (when, not if). I"ve been looking at

Notion
ClickuP
Todoist
Nirvana

I really like clickup and notion the most because as a power user, they are both fully customizable. The desktop rocks but their mobile apps leaves much to be desired.

Just sharing information.
Also I"ve found it useflu for those who love the GTD system to search GTD and what ever app in youtube, and it will give you a real quick assessment of how that service may work with GTD
Larry3

Posted: Jan 02, 2021
For curiosity I looked at toodledo.com's registry. Seems icann reports it's good until April 21, 2021. If they don't renew then that I assume is the end of Toodledo.

I also checked Pink Java Media and while it's good until 2022 and some of their brands listed are good until later in 2021 one of their brands reported not found in Firefox. I also noticed a number of them were not secure which seems strange considering they are a web/internet focused company. Additionally they show 2018 as copyright date on home page. All companies I've ever checked would have current year if they are ongoing. So maybe Pink Java Media is in trouble too.
Gnopps

Posted: Jan 02, 2021
I've been evaluating a lot of alternatives. For me being able to use start dates as well Android widgets was among the essential things. In the end I settled for http://www.rememberthemilk.com.

This message was edited Jan 02, 2021.
Louen

Posted: Jan 03, 2021
Settled with RTM here also after buying a LTD from Toodledo... I should have though on why they were selling LTD accounts.
Maybe the owner sold this for peanuts, and they thought that the simplest way to quick cash and burn it was by going the LTD-path.
gdstover

Posted: Jan 04, 2021
Posted by japito8000:
Hi,

I currently have a free account (had gold but moved to another todo system) and I am thinking about having a paid subscription again. However, I read lots of comments about no response on support tickets and see no updates (e.g. on the IOS beta test app) so I was wondering how "alive" is Toodledo? Before moving and committing myself on a dead product :)

Regards
gdstover

Posted: Jan 04, 2021
This app is starting to smell like a dead fish. First, the iPad app. Is rendered useless and users recommended to move to the web. NOW iPhone app. Won’t synch. With the web based app. If this problem isn’t fixed by the end of my annual contract I will be moving on.
Jørn Lodahl

Posted: Jan 11, 2021
I also realise where this is going. So I am looking for alternatives, just like a lot of you.

Have you found a reliable source, comparing task management software?

they have all pros and cons, most likely this is in a table somehere allready
Larry3

Posted by Jørn Lodahl:
I also realise where this is going. So I am looking for alternatives, just like a lot of you.

Have you found a reliable source, comparing task management software?

they have all pros and cons, most likely this is in a table somehere allready

I don't know of a table as such but some on this forum have done extensive testing and posted their observations. No other service equals Toodledo.

The names I've seen mentioned most frequently are Todoist, Remember the Milk, and TickTick. There are also some others that I haven't looked into myself as they either are platform specific or too expensive for me.

I can't point you to those posts but you can read posts over the last year and many mention suggested replacements.
Ummagumma

Score: 2 Reference
FWIW, I started a poll some time ago asking what solutions had people settled for.

Here are the results so far.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/pfwmsx/my-plan/view

It seems the biggest group went to RTM.
mlb32704

Posted by Ummagumma:
FWIW, I started a poll some time ago asking what solutions had people settled for.

Thanks for reposting this. My front runner continues to be Task Angel. I’m hoping that they can deliver a stand alone solution for both Web and iOS if and when Toodledo pulls the plug for real. For now it’s still working for me and I really don’t see any other solution out there that looks and works like Toodledo. So I guess I would be Task Angel first, hoping for a Toodledo miracle second :)
jeffsa1

Posted: Jan 12, 2021
I've been looking for a replacement for Toodledo for awhile. Today I found Taskangel. I guess it's not well known because I haven't seen it on any of the lists of top task managers.
I'm writing this because I was able to install Taskangel and convert from Toodledo in about 15 minutes. My main worry has been what will happen if Toodledo suddenly isn't available one day. I think Taskangel is the answer. It looks and feels alot like Toodledo except faster.
I think it's at least given me another path to manage my tasks.
CharleneTX

Posted by jeffsa1:
I've been looking for a replacement for Toodledo for awhile. Today I found Taskangel. I guess it's not well known because I haven't seen it on any of the lists of top task managers.
I'm writing this because I was able to install Taskangel and convert from Toodledo in about 15 minutes. My main worry has been what will happen if Toodledo suddenly isn't available one day. I think Taskangel is the answer. It looks and feels alot like Toodledo except faster.

TaskAngel doesn't support Android, so that will limit the number of folks recommending it.
CharleneTX

I've moved over to Todoist. For the features I needed, it mostly works. I'm seriously missing the sorting capabilities of Toodledo; I can manage workarounds for most of my views. There isn't an easy way to convert data from Toodledo to Todoist. I spent an afternoon cutting and pasting. My TD subscription runs through August, so I'll pop in once in a while to see if TD ever rises from the ashes as I do prefer it anything else I've tried.
Larry3

Posted by CharleneTX:
Posted by jeffsa1:

TaskAngel doesn't support Android, so that will limit the number of folks recommending it.

The developer is working on a cross-platform app. I'm not sure when he'll release it but it'll be cross-platform and won't use Toodledo servers.
SquidgyFishy

Posted: Jan 14, 2021
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Ummagumma:

I love that the second biggest category was "sticking and hoping for a miracle"
I was definitely in that camp, i tried RTM, Todoist, TickTick and a number of others over the past three months and none of them gelled with me.

I kept taking regular backups thinking toodles would fail on me at any point, and in the end I just opened the xml backup in excel, did about 3 hours of formatting and saved it to my onedrive. Voila. I have an app.
It has a toodles feel for me in desktop mode. Excel mobile now has "card view" which makes it feel a bit appy. I do most of my work on the laptop also so app work accounts for probably 10% of my work time (and it is usually just to capture or check what i've got to do).

I've got one sheet for my inbox, one for next actions and one for my projects, with incubated ones going to another sheet.
It's replicated most of the feedback charts that toodles had, and is easier to customise than toodles was.

And it's fun again. I'm actually really enjoying engaging with my system. I guess part of that is because i'm not afraid excel is suddenly going to disappear on me, but also excel is fun anyway.

Would definitely recommend giving it a try!
CharleneTX

Posted by Larry3:
Posted by CharleneTX:
Posted by jeffsa1:

The developer is working on a cross-platform app. I'm not sure when he'll release it but it'll be cross-platform and won't use Toodledo servers.

"Working on" isn't good enough when I need to replace a service that could disappear at any time.
fdoten

Hi SquidgyFishy - interesting concept with Excel! Would love to see your Excel doc!
Any way to see a sample?
mlb32704

Posted: Jan 15, 2021
Posted by CharleneTX:
Posted by Larry3:
Posted by CharleneTX:
Posted by jeffsa1:

"Working on" isn't good enough when I need to replace a service that could disappear at any time.

IF Toodledo shuts down, AND TaskAngel hasn't completed their cross platform solution, AND none of the other solutions work for you, there is one solution that will work, right now, independent of Toodledo servers and connectivity altogether - TickTick. You would only need to import data from a Toodledo .CSV export, which you should be doing as a backup on a regular basis anyway. I'm not a fan of TickTick anymore because they have only ONE sort criteria and have no plans to change that functionality, which is a showstopper for me. But it does work, and it looks and behaves a lot like Toodledo. I know that they have Web and iOS apps, not sure about Android. They are a distant second from Task Angel imho but it does work, today.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2021.
Jørn Lodahl

Posted: Jan 15, 2021
I gave ticktick a try, but
- import from Toodledo does not work
- support forum is 80% spam and no replies on the serious questions from neither users nor supporters
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.